Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire main street being pulled up

Options
  • 17-05-2010 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭

Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council intends to temporarily close Lower Georges Street, Dún Laoghaire from its junction with Patrick Street to St. Michael’s Hospital to facilitate the removal of the existing granite setts and the complete resurfacing of the roadway. It is intended to carry out this work from Thursday 3rd June to Thursday 24th June 2010, both dates inclusive.

The alternative route will be via Upper Georges Street, Park Road, Queens Road, Crofton Road and Clarence Street.

A Traffic Management Plan will be in operation and diversions will be signposted.

So a few years ago after spending a lot of money to put down "cobbles" for want of a better description, they are going to pull them all up and re-tarmac the whole road. What a waste of time and money. :(

There is no real need for this at a time when funding for pretty much everything has been cut, sure they probably slow traffic down but I would argue this is a good thing in this area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

I noticed this at the weekend and sent an email to the transport department to try and clarify whether it will be re-layed with tarmac. I'm still waiting on so I'll let you know asap.

I'd be much more in favour of preserving the cobbles, much more aesthetically pleasing and I doubt the cobbles cause as much trouble to cars and buses then the potholes that litter the county.

Between this and the proposed car parking on the sea front you really got to wonder what goes on in the council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

crushproof wrote: »
    I noticed this at the weekend and sent an email to the transport department to try and clarify whether it will be re-layed with tarmac. I'm still waiting on so I'll let you know asap.

I'd be much more in favour of preserving the cobbles, much more aesthetically pleasing and I doubt the cobbles cause as much trouble to cars and buses then the potholes that litter the county.

Between this and the proposed car parking on the sea front you really got to wonder what goes on in the council.

I agree re-digging that road at this point is irresponsible.

Can I ask what's the proposed issue about parking on the seafront ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

the cobbles slow cars down, the last thing you want are cars speeding through that section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Morlar wrote: »
    I agree re-digging that road at this point is irresponsible.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055909048

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Morlar wrote: »

Have look at this thread

Looks like the council has different priorities than people living here. The cobbles look nice and don't seem to be in need of repair, 30km/h is fast enough with all the shops and pedestrians and there are streets that are much more in need to get fixed. (my 2cents)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

The surface of the road in the estate where I live in Dun Laoghaire is so bad it looks like there's been a recent earthquake. No sign of them doing anything about it and yet they can afford to rip up a perfectly good road and resurface it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I'm all for the cobbles staying i have to say, council.... idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Clementine

DLRCoCo really don't get it. When they put the cobbles down a few years ago it destroyed the custom of the shops of DL. And now with the half the shop units in DL empty they decide to go back on their decision. Ugh.

They should just knock the Dun Laoghaire Shopping Centre while they're at it. Get all the building works done at the same time and have a new Dun Laoghaire to launch all at the same time.

Still no response from the transport dept, how difficult is it give a yes or no answer....Is it or is it not being relayed with tarmac or re-cobbled?!

Very strange, I was expecting the opposite from the Greens...they're actually supporting the removal of the cobbles :confused:
    http://www.ciarancuffe.ie/greens-say-good-riddance-d%C3%BAn-laoghaire-cobbles
    On the plus side of things, people complained to me about the uneven granite cobbled surface and at least the works would provide a smoother walking surface.
    Erm...a smoother walking surface?! Why would people be walking on the road in the first place?!
    This really is a joke, surely it would be cheaper to mend the parts that are in need of repair rather then uprooting the cobbles and resurfacing the entire street. From what I've seen the road is in pretty good condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

More Green Idiocy.

Would part of their mandate as a green party not be reduction in traffic and pedestrianisation in the first place?

Pulling up perfectly good surfaces (for the most part) and replacing them is hardly green either, the amount of work and emmisions to put them in in the first place is now to be repeated twice, to take them all up and resurface.

From a purely green point of view its moronic never mind the multitude of other reasons against it, with little or no benefits to anyone from doing it that I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

This sums up the complete and utter idiocy of Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Council to be honest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

Erm...a smoother walking surface?! Why would people be walking on the road in the first place?!
    They would be walking on the road because it is a heavily pedestrian area with many people crossing from shop to shop. The cobbles were laid when the street was pedestrianised a few years ago. They were a poor choice for a pedestrianised street and unsuitable for old or blind people. Most people stuck to the footpaths rather than walk on the street.

The street was depedestrianised in 2008 in the hope that putting more car traffic through the middle of Dun Laoghaire might attract back business that had gone to Dundrum. The Dundrum town centre does very well because they let people drive up and down the centre of the mall. Shoppers love that. It makes it nice to walk along past the shop windows with your kids when there are cars whizzing past.

The cobbles are not standing up to car traffic and have started to break up at the joints.

dynamick wrote: »
    They would be walking on the road because it is a heavily pedestrian area with many people crossing from shop to shop. The cobbles were laid when the street was pedestrianised a few years ago. They were a poor choice for a pedestrianised street and unsuitable for old or blind people. Most people stuck to the footpaths rather than walk on the street.
    they were put done in the first place to define the road from the footpath, ie where all the buses were still going along. The street was never truly pedestrianised.
    The cobbles are not standing up to car traffic and have started to break up at the joints.

amazing that they stood up to years and years of bus usage and only since cars have been allowed back they are suddenly breaking up...

Yes, the pedestrians + buses didn't work.

Every couple of meters along the cobbles there are flat pieces of stone which make it easy to cross from one side of the street to the other so the argument that they're not easy to walk on is mute. It's a road. People should be crossing said road at appropriate places.

It is a complete waste of money to rip up a whole street. Never mind the hassle it is going to cause for the shops which managed to stay open after the last time. It's a bloody disaster, I really just don't understand why they would do it. A bit of forward planning would be nice for once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

As a motorcyclist I am glad to see the back of them, they were poorly laid down in the first place and were unable to cope with heavy bus traffic particularly the tri axles on the 46A route.

One only has to look at the loose cobbles and flag stones at the pedestrian lights corner of St Michaels church, its a lawsuit waiting to happen.

If they were of historical significance I would be up in arms but no, this was just another waste of taxpayers money during the financial height.

Lower Georges Street, Dún Laoghaire from its junction with Patrick Street to St. Michael’s Hospital

I think that would suggest that the junction will remain as it is with a ramp down from the cobbled level to a lower level like all the other levels.

I think that would suggest that the junction will remain as it is with a ramp down from the cobbled level to a lower level like all the other levels.

The Junction is in tatters. :p

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Anyone else starting to think Dún Laoghaire Needs to be put to sleep?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

The village is dying, but the renovated penny's and the good weather this summer might cheer things up a bit.

Was out walking the pier this evening and had a lovely teddy's, so the whole town isn't a write off at least.

An old New Zealand saying can apply here, "Last to leave can switch out the lights" :p

short video from Ciarán Cuffe about Dun Laoghaire main street

Also I just realised, funny how the cobbles on part of Marine Road and on Georges Street outside Easons havn't been destroyed after 9 years of constant "wear and tear" from buses, cars and trucks.

I sent off an objection letter anyway to the council, I know it's not gonna make any difference but I just find this whole idea absolutely absurd

I sent off an objection letter anyway to the council, I know it's not gonna make any difference but I just find this whole idea absolutely absurd

+1 If any road in DL needs to be replaced its the one from the People Park to Sallynoggin roundabout. Its really stated to come apart in the last few months

In Ennis at the moment, cobbled streets that were laid down at around the same time are suffering the same faith. It would not surprised if these are also ripped up and replaced. Heavy traffic and modern cobbles do not go hand in hand.

In Ennis at the moment, cobbled streets that were laid down at around the same time are suffering the same faith.

Oh Lord-y

:p

What funny to notice in the CC vid is the worst bit you could see was the drain slabs at the side, the bits that shouldn't even be driven on!

Oh Lord-y

:p

What funny to notice in the CC vid is the worst bit you could see was the drain slabs at the side, the bits that shouldn't even be driven on!
    HGV's and busses do when cutting corners. :o

HGV's and busses do when cutting corners. :o

You mean the same HGVs and busses (and cars) that have also been driving on the Marine for years yet that part of the cobbling seems to be in the best nick?
    I'm sure it would cost very very little to repair those damaged areas then pintlessly resurface the whole street.

And where are the cobbles gonna go after they're dug up? Wouldn't mind getting a few and get the driveway done :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

They also put some cobblestone crossways in Cornelscourt, that subsequently sunk in places and now have tarmac poured into the hole.

The Park carrickmines also has cobblestone on the way in/out. What better way to get an expensive appliance home, then by shaking it rapidly :)

Advertisement