Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An Post Meath Heritage Cycle Tour 25/7/10

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

hopefully be back on the bike and fit for that.
    @ furiosox :What machine did you use yest and how did ya find it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

Hi b

I used the hong-fu that skeff built up for me

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=107553&d=1268512864

Did the job for me..it's actually a lovely bike to ride, I'm delighted with it. :)

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Ant

I'd no interest in the M3 sportive but If I stay injury-free between now and July, I plan to build up my stamina to do the 160km Tour of Meath. I've entered the 160km route into mapmyride based upon the listed locations (may not be exact as some locations weren't listed on my OSI map or the Tele Atlas street map as used by mapmyride).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭Fredo

I did the 100km last year and it was a great event. I will probably do it again this year. The Hill of Tara was a challenge and climb in Slane was very difficult.
    @furiousox, nice bike now that I saw the picture I think I saw you yesterday on the M3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Did this last year and it was great. Highly recommend it. I'd guess they might reduce the amount of food they buy this year. We finished late and there were large boxes of the stuff around still.
    Was well Marshalled too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭CarlosK

I've been looking into this one myself. Cant wait. It'll be the 1st long distance organised spin I'll have taken part in. I'm thinking of going into the 100km distance. I've being covering up to 30km so far and feel like i've a lot more to give once I've completed it, I just feel that I'll regret taking on the 40km spin and that it'll feel a bit short.... I have plenty of time to make up the distance between then and now anyway.

So I suppose I'll be seeing some of you there and maybe even in our new boards gear eh??? Here's hoping!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭billaustin

Just finished the Mount Leinster Challenge at the weekend and ha d abrilliant day on the 140km. Definitely signing up for this aswell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bike babe

Re 160km route - has anyone checked out the climbs on this route, never thought there was hills in Meath! Might just stick to the 100km. Registration is open - anyone interested check out www.meathsports.ie - looks like a bit of fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

bike babe wrote: »
    Re 160km route - has anyone checked out the climbs on this route, never thought there was hills in Meath! Might just stick to the 100km. Registration is open - anyone interested check out www.meathsports.ie - looks like a bit of fun.

Interested to hear myself - there's no significant climbs in terms of height gain but I suspect there's some short sharp kicks that will test the legs/lungs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭damoz

Is it on mapmyride at all - could look at elevations.

The only climb i know very well is Loughcrew - it would be short (maybe 2km) but quite steep in places - maybe 10% or so. Steeper descent with 3 * 90 degree bends when its climbed from the Oldcastle side - proceed with caution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

bike babe wrote: »

Only extra hill of note on the 160 is the hill before Oldcastle which is steep enough but not long, have done it a good few times and wouldn't let it put you off doing the 160. You can always wait till the day and see how you feel at Kells as it is at this point the 100 and 160 split. Would love to do it but on hols for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

damoz wrote: »

The only climb i know very well is Loughcrew - it would be short (maybe 2km) but quite steep in places - maybe 10% or so. Steeper descent with 3 * 90 degree bends when its climbed from the Oldcastle side - proceed with caution.

+1 especially in a group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

That's the one, hill just outside Oldcastle. Was expecting this to be pan-flat last year and by the time I got to that I'd been on my own for ~80km, was a right kick in the teeth. It is the only hill on the route, although I remember the bit of road between Kells and Oldcastle being a bit lumpy. No real hills, but up and down a lot.

Good event, I enjoyed it last year. Plenty of food at the stops, and excellent marshalling. There was a small crowd cos it was on the same weekend as the Ring of Kerry iirc, hope they get more along this year. I'd love to do it but am out of the country that weekend :(

edit: elevation graph. Forgot about the hill in Slane :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=117840&stc=1&d=1277297201

Wouldn't pay any attention to the elevation on map my ride is seems to average it, here it is anyway. I've saved the hill here.

Edit: Too slow!! Hill in Slane is short and sharpish, again nothing a quick shift out of the saddle won't sort!

alfalad wrote: »
    Wouldn't pay any attention to the elevation on map my ride is seems to average it, here it is anyway. I've saved the hill here.

Edit: Too slow!! Hill in Slane is short and sharpish, again nothing a quick shift out of the saddle won't sort!

Nice job on the mapping alfalad :D

CheGuedara wrote: »
    Nice job on the mapping alfalad :D

Well don't blame me if they are wrong, I didn't do it last year!!

Well don't blame me if they are wrong, I didn't do it last year!!

Just a wink from the source :p

Hey alfalad, for the last stretch of the route, I noticed you've left out Kildalkey and Kilangross. I didn't do it last year either but I hope to do it this year. My estimate map is posted on the original Tour of Meath thread.

Ant wrote: »
    Hey alfalad, for the last stretch of the route, I noticed you've left out Kildalkey and Kilangross. I didn't do it last year either but I hope to do it this year. My estimate map is posted on the original Tour of Meath thread.

So I did, fixed now and I really should have checked before wasting my time creating the map! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I can't do this either as I'll be on holidays. Then again I am going to Ballyvaughan for a week and the bike's coming too.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

Why does everyone have a downer on Map my Ride? I've used it a fair bit for climbs here and in France, and as far as I can see it's estimates of gradients is pretty spot on. It may miss a 50m section of 20% going round a corner but otherwise I haven't seen any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

i signed up for the 160 last weeked i looking forword to it,this will be my first over the 100 mark..

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭austinbyrne21

Anyone got the 100km routed out on mapmyride? It seems the more extreme climbs come after the 100km mark, that right?

Anyone got the 100km routed out on mapmyride? It seems the more extreme climbs come after the 100km mark, that right?

That's correct. The route is the same except the 100k heads south at Kilskyre and leaves out the loop to the west of this point. The only (small) hills on the 100km route are the Hill of Tara and the climb from the Boyne Bridge up to and out of Slane village.

I see there are now PDFs with the routes marked over the Ordnance Survey map of Meath. I've updated my map to include the water and food stops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Just signed up for the 160 route, this is the third one in the series now for me so still on track to complete all 5 this year.

After the top organisation of the Sligo & Burren one they have a lot to live up to so looking forward to this. Wonder will we be lucky again with the weather!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭CarlosK

Doing the 100km Meath one this year, with the view to doing all 5 next year. If any of you have done all 5 before, are they all pretty much the same level of difficulty?

I wouldnt be able for any more than the 100km at the min, and this will be my 1st "long distance" sportive. I was hoping to come out of it in one piece and use it as an indicator as how I might fare out in the other cycle sportives. Also looking into the W100 and Ring of Kerry for next year to see what all the fuss and chat is about. I'm all chest and balls now that the weather is half decent, but I'm sure its trying to keep a level of fitness up over the winter thats the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭damoz

CarlosK wrote: »
    Doing the 100km Meath one this year, with the view to doing all 5 next year. If any of you have done all 5 before, are they all pretty much the same level of difficulty?

I wouldnt be able for any more than the 100km at the min, and this will be my 1st "long distance" sportive. I was hoping to come out of it in one piece and use it as an indicator as how I might fare out in the other cycle sportives. Also looking into the W100 and Ring of Kerry for next year to see what all the fuss and chat is about. I'm all chest and balls now that the weather is half decent, but I'm sure its trying to keep a level of fitness up over the winter thats the problem.

say hello to your new friend

BTR02.jpg

its not easy to get on it over the winter, but a decent mp3 player with good music will pass the hours away. or set it up in front of the tv .

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CycleMichael

Just registered for the 100k Royal Tour of Meath, seen it on IrishCycling.com. Heard its a good route with good pit stops.

Just remembered last night and not sure why i didn't think of it earlier but this section of road in now closed due to a bridge being unsafe. The point where I have put the water stop symbol this a little bridge over a stream however when you cross the bridge you see what you think is a pot hole but then realise it's actually a hole in the bridge and you can see the stream beneath it. I reckon they will just swing left at my start point toward Donaghpatrick and then take the next right and bring you back onto the route where I have the end point. Just if you are uploading to a Garmin be warned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭billaustin

Just registered for the 160k and the Sean Kelly 160k aswell, sweet, can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CycleMichael

Thanks Alphalad,
    Just contacted the organisers of the cycle tour of Meath and they confirmed the road closure you highlighted. The maps are currently being amended. But they told me that once you turn left down the milestown road you take the second right turn not the first and then proceed back into Oristown and join the existing route. It will be well signposted and marshaled. Looking forward to it NOW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

furiousox wrote: »
    Hi b

I used the hong-fu that skeff built up for me

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=107553&d=1268512864

Did the job for me..it's actually a lovely bike to ride, I'm delighted with it. :)

Wow thats really nice - how much was that, all told, if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7 Mickey Boy

Eh... is this link broken?
    MB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Mickey Boy wrote: »
    Eh... is this link broken?
    MB

Apparently, their website is down, see the last few posts here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055843807&page=4

(there's a contact number somewhere there to call if you want an entry form sent out. Meant to do it today myself but forgot).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

going doing the 100K route. 1st race should be fun

just to clarify you don't need to be a member of a club or have some sort of cycling ireland membership ( equivilant of Triathlon ireland?):confused:

just want to make sure before i sign up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

website is back up now (http://www.meathlocalsportspartnership.ie/)

@seanie500, no you don't have to be in a club or have Cycling Ireland membership. Just pay your entry fee & away you go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭stevemcf

Also signed up, does anyone have a MapMyRide (or otherwise) for the 100K Route?
    Steve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭stevemcf

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭pab_lowe

Hi there, for any one who did the burren spin, you might remember there were a whole lot of camper vans parked in the parking field overnight. I thought, great idea why didn't I think of that! Does any one know if a similar arrangement is possible in Meath or if there are campsites close to Trim? Camping ireland doesn't show any campsites for Meath.
    I'm signed upi for the 160 and have done both Sligo and Burren with a view to doing all 5

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭strummer_ie

Anyone receive their entry packs in the mail yet ?

• Advertisement

Thanks Alphalad,
    Just contacted the organisers of the cycle tour of Meath and they confirmed the road closure you highlighted. The maps are currently being amended. But they told me that once you turn left down the milestown road you take the second right turn not the first and then proceed back into Oristown and join the existing route. It will be well signposted and marshaled. Looking forward to it NOW!

No prob and my route was a guess at what they would do, number of ways they could route round it. They are bringing people up to Oristown school and on to Kells from there which is the second right turn you refer to and is only a hundred odd yards after the first and is at a T junction in front of Donaghpatrick church.

Anyone receive their entry packs in the mail yet ?

Got mine in the post today. Registered Thursday, last week - the 15th. Nothing much in it other than the receipt letter, sponsorship card and map of the route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Anyone have an idea as to how long it might take to drive from Galway to Trim on the Sunday morning?

With the new motorway would 2 hours do it?
    Galway to Enfield 1hr30mins, Enfield to Trim 30mins?

It will be about 6am on Sunday morning leaving Galway so the roads should be quiet.

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    Anyone have an idea as to how long it might take to drive from Galway to Trim on the Sunday morning?

With the new motorway would 2 hours do it?
    Galway to Enfield 1hr30mins, Enfield to Trim 30mins?

It will be about 6am on Sunday morning leaving Galway so the roads should be quiet.

That seems reasonable if not generous, I went to college in Galway and used to make it from Navan to Galway in about 2.15 so with the new roads it should be fine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭fago

I regularly do this route. Galway city to Kilcock now is a reliable 1.5 hours anytime.

Summerhill to Trim is less than 10 mins on new road.

I am going up but will probably stay up there the night before, but I'd be leaving at 5.30 in the morning to leave enough time to sign on, get something to eat beforehand etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭topcat77

Alright Benbecul97,

I'm leaving Renmore around 7am, Can't see it taking more than 2 hours. I'm doing the 160Km if you're doing the same you can catch a ride.

Really looking forward to this now. It'll be my first sportive of any sort. The most I've done on the bike so far is 72km but everyone's suggesting that it should be slightly easier (not sure if this is the right word:D) cycling in a group. Signed up for the 100km. Is there many Boardsies gonna be doing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

topcat77 wrote: »
    Alright Benbecul97,

I'm leaving Renmore around 7am, Can't see it taking more than 2 hours. I'm doing the 160Km if you're doing the same you can catch a ride.

topcat77 - many thanks for the offer of a lift from Galway.
    I've also signed up for the 160km - but dont know how long it will take me! - so I will drive myself. I intend to leave between 5:45am/6am.

The start time of the 160km is 8:30am so I would imagine that your leaving Renmore at 6am and not 7am.

thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭topcat77

My mistake i'm leaving at 6am. No worry s Benbecul97 hope you have a good day. I'm looking at 6 to 7 hours to do the 160km. I've never done this distance before so i'm looking forward to the challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

I'm thinking about doing the 100k. Can you sign up on the day once you arrive fairly early?

• Advertisement
Advertisement