Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recycling in Apartment Complex

Options
  • 17-05-2010 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi All,

I live in an apartment complex in Dublin 9. We own the apartment and my OH is on the management committee. The management fees arent high by most standards and the place is reasonably well maintained.

My issue is with waste, and recycling, namely the management company refuse to provide recycling facilities.

Both my OH and another member of the committee have requested such facilities on numerous occassions and been told that there is a: nowhere to put a recycling bin, or B: people wouldnt sort their waste which would result in the management co being fined.

We pay for our waste to be collected by our local corporation/council.

We have three large metal bins, so I can't see why at least one couldnt be used for recycling, however despite our best efforts our requests are going nowhere.

I'm wondering if there is any legal requirement for the management co. to provide recycling facilities?

Thanks!!
    starfish12

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The managing agent (rather than company) may need to be reminded that they could shop around for waste services. Greenstar (no affiliation) service my block and they provide green bins, glass bins and normal bins.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭starfish12

Its actually one and the same in this instance, but they are totally aware that the services are available to them, they are just refusing to provide them to residents.

Numerous waste management companies service the area, in fact the apartments across the road have recycling facilities, when this was brought to our management they said that 'there was extra space across the road, that we dont have,' which is blatantly untrue!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

starfish12 wrote: »
    We own the apartment and my OH is on the management committee.

My issue is with waste, and recycling, namely the management company refuse to provide recycling facilities.

We pay for our waste to be collected by our local corporation/council.

I'm wondering if there is any legal requirement for the management co. to provide recycling facilities?

Management committee?? What's that?

There's a management company (with elected directors) and then a management agent (who carries out the instructions of the management company). There may also be a resident's association which has no real power.

You're obviously confusing who is doing what.

No, there is no legal requirement at all to provide recycling.

the management company are a committee of residents who have been elected as directors to run the complex, its an older property and is run differently to newer complexes. All instuctions are carried out by these directors there is no 'agent.'

but thank you for your reply re: the legal requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I think your problem is that some people are idiots, I would put money on it that any communal recycling bin will be ruined most weeks.

We have communal bins, 2 normal and 2 recycling and most weeks you see heaps of plastic (bag types), normal household rubbish bins and glass in the recycling ones (it clearly says no plastic bags or glass and gives a list of acceptable items on the front of each bin). I can only imagine how often it is spoiled and cant be recycled. I'm not sure what exactly happens to it but I assume it's put on a landfill.

If your management committee / company / whatever they are have dealt with this in the past and realise it's an impossible task to remind people of how to recycle then they've probably decided it's just not worth the effort.

You're probably better off dropping your recycling to a local recycling plant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Jennypops

the management company are a committee of residents who have been elected as directors to run the complex, its an older property and is run differently to newer complexes. All instuctions are carried out by these directors there is no 'agent.'

but thank you for your reply re: the legal requirements

Im confused, when you say that the management co are a committee of residents who have been elected and therefore act as Directors to run the complex, if your OH is therefore a Director then who is refusing to provide the recycle facility...because surely the Directors give the instruction to whomever provides the refuse service (if there is no agent they must deal directly with each contractor?) and if they cant provide recycling they can look to another provider who does have that facility.

is it not the case that your OH is a director of xx management company which all the other owners are members of said management company? do the directors put in place all the services, billing for annual service charges etc without the use of an agent? if thats the case i dont see why they dont just get the recycle facility put in...

as i said in my OP, there are a number of directors, not just my OH!!! If it was up to him of course we would!!

My question was around any legal requirements not the management of the complex tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

My question was around any legal requirements not the management of the complex tbh.

Unfortunately, in Ireland, there are no legal requirements to provide any recycling at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Its up to the management company (the residents) to decide on what facilities are provided. If the current people on the Committee are not in favour, put your own name forward at the next AGM and change from within.

I am on the Committee where I live and we do provide recycling facilities but we are having problems with some people putting items in general and recycling waste that shouldn't be there. For example I was throwing out some general waste when I spotted a TV in the communal general waste bin. How lazy can someone get. The waste facility is only a couple of minutes up the road and it costs nothing to dispose of electrical waste there!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

While yes, people are idiots, you might point out that removing bottles and garden / food waste might reduce your bill substantially as these are the densest / heaviest items.

One thing to do might be to put a lock on the recycling bin to discourage the more casual dumping.

• Advertisement
Advertisement