Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Amp

• 17-05-2010 3:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭

right, so my peavey decided to start cutting out during practices :( so i'm in the market for a new amp, something under 150. i was thinking of going for a cheap tube amp, around 15 watts, and i found this http://www.musicstore.de:80/en_EN/EUR/Guitars/Tube-combo-amps/Bugera-BC15-Vintage-Guitar-Amp/art-GIT0019139-000 would that be loud enough for practising with a band? or would the ga15 on thomann be a better option? also, if i got a 5 watt head through a 2x12 would that make it louder than a 15 watt combo through a 10" speaker?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

The Bugera you link to only has an 8" speaker. I wouldn't fancy my chances being heard over drums with that. I have gigged unmiked with a 15 watt valve amp with a 10" speaker, and it cut the mustard, just about...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Paolo_M

That Bugera is essentially solid state, like a Marshall Valvestate. I'm not saying that this means it's bad or will sound bad, but I think this particular one probably will be bad.
    A 15 watt SS power amp is just 15 watts, and that's not enough clean headroom to play with a drummer, IMO.
    A 15 watt valve amp is probably enough if you don't require pristeen cleans.

No-one can answer your last question as we don't know what speakers you are talking about. Speaker efficiency and frequency emphasis has a big affect on perceived volume. The contruction of the cabinet will also have a significant effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

stetyrrell wrote: »

Are volume and price really your only buying criteria?
    If so you could get much better bang for your buck with a completely SS combo.

well for under 150, what solid state amp has better distortion than a tube amp? :confused:

• Advertisement

stetyrrell wrote: »
    well for under 150, what solid state amp has better distortion than a tube amp? :confused:

Have you heard the distortion from a cheap tube amp?

i've heard the thomann sound samples and yeah, not the best i must say.

Advertisement