Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contract Extension? Travel?

Options
  • 17-05-2010 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

My 9 Month Contract is due to expire in October (Jan - Oct) .In the interview I queried regarding the chances of it being extended for which I was told they had no idea...wait and see.

I like the job and would happily stay on if the option was there especially given the current job market. The chances of this all considered is 50/50.

So I face 2 situtations

1. I am kept on - If this is the case I want to book a holiday with a few friends for August.

2. I am let go - I plan to go travelling around SE Asia for a couple of Months before xmas.

Either way I really need to know this ASAP so i can plan either one. Can anyone give opinions in terms of whether it would be inappropriate of me to ask them about October given that it's only May now?? Or how could I approach the situation?

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Board-in-work

I don't think its innapropriate, but I do think it is premature.

Your employers probably have no idea on whether or not your contract will be extended. It's called contracting. Temporary working for better pay. Contracting is by it's nature finite.

Go on your short 1/2 week holiday in August. Plan it. Then in September - approach them and say you have to take a new lease on a flat or something, and you really need to know if you are to be kept on or not. If thery are still being evasive - plan your SE Asia trip and leave.

Your'e worring about this too soon. I myself usually do 4/5 months in Asia between contracts !

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Cullen82

Thanks Board :)

I'm by no means worrying about this but the reason I need to know is because I can't afford to do the Holiday aswell as the SE Asia trip....Am being asked to book the holiday with friends within the next month and a half but I cant book this unless I know my contract is being extended.

Think I'll ask anyway - I'm pretty sure the answers gonna be the same regardless !

Advertisement