Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a PUG pup

Options
  • 17-05-2010 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Preferrably Fawn, but open to look at others.
    I see on the web they are bloody expensive, but hoping to find a good deal. NOT looking for any Pug X J Russel mix, there seems to be quite alot of "jugs" for sale.

Anyone know of any place where they might be available ?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

If you're looking for a pure bred Pug - then you have to be willing to pay the price, pure bred with papers etc will be expensive.

You could always keep an eye in local shelters/animal rescues for a pug that needs a home, or if you look for an adult it might be cheaper.

I wouldn't advocate getting a 'cheap' pure bred because to me that would signal something not quite right. I'm not sure if the IKC would have a contact for pug breeders but you could try calling them to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Shrek2

2 weeks ago we bought an amazing pug/
    ****zu
    from a nice family in
    Cavan
    . They are on<SNIP>. not sure if he has any left now but like you I wanted a pug and got this instead and I
    wouldn't
    swap it for the world. She's perfect..

Shrek2 wrote: »
    ****zu
    from a nice family in
    Cavan
    . They are on<SNIP>. not sure if he has any left now but like you I wanted a pug and got this instead and I
    wouldn't

Hope you didnt pay too much money for it, as its only a cross breed and plenty of those are free in rescue.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Shrek2

andreac wrote: »
    Hope you didn't pay too much money for it, as its only a cross breed and plenty of those are free in rescue.

His Dad was a pedigree Pug and mother shih-tzu which I saw. Paid €300 for him which is pricey but well worth it. I don't think you'd come across too many Pug cross breeds in rescue centres...

• Advertisement

Yeah but its still a mongrel/cross breed at the end of the day, doesnt matter what pedigree the parents are. Paying money for these cross breeds is madness in my opinion.

Im sure its lovely, but i certainly wouldnt be paying 300euro for a mongrel.

These people breeding these crosses are only doing so to line their pockets, and no reputable breeder will cross 2 diff breeds deliberately. They give them fancy names and put a price on them when really they are just cross breeds/mongrels.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭youthacademy

Shrek2 wrote: »
    ****zu
    from a nice family in
    Cavan
    wouldn't

If it was for myself I would consider it, but as its a present I would be concerned as to how the dog would turn out looks/temperment wise - if it wasn't a pure pug.

I know its expensive, but I reckon a reasonably priced pup from a small time breeder or family maybe, local paper would be worth a check though, hadn't thought of that one. cheers, hopefully i'll find a deal....

I'll check under the miserly recession section ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

andreac wrote: »
    Yeah but its still a mongrel/cross breed at the end of the day, doesnt matter what pedigree the parents are. Paying money for these cross breeds is madness in my opinion.

Im sure its lovely, but i certainly wouldnt be paying 300euro for a mongrel.

These people breeding these crosses are only doing so to line their pockets, and no reputable breeder will cross 2 diff breeds deliberately. They give them fancy names and put a price on them when really they are just cross breeds/mongrels.
    +1

I know somebody who is 'breeding' pugs x JRT - eejits are paying him €250 for the pups as well!??!

tk123 wrote: »
    +1

I know somebody who is 'breeding' pugs x JRT - eejits are paying him €250 for the pups as well!??!

More fool them, fools and their money and all that:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 missus cat

ring irish kennel club, they will give names registered breeders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

They're an expensive dog to keep, OP, so bear that in mind on top of the initial outlay. They come with a good few health problems, so I would definitely invest in pet insurance, which will cost approx €15 per month.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Buying a pug for someone as a present? I hope it's not going to be a handbag accessory.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

boomerang wrote: »
    They're an expensive dog to keep, OP, so bear that in mind on top of the initial outlay. They come with a good few health problems, so I would definitely invest in pet insurance, which will cost approx €15 per month.;)

Our pug is not an expensive dog to keep at all. He doesn't have any health problems thankfully, but I would definitely recommend getting pet insurance for any dog.

A pure bred pug is expensive to buy. They are difficult to breed AFAIK and there is plenty of demand for them. I would not recommend that you try to find one "on the cheap" as it is likely that they are not being looked after properly.

Find a registered breeder with the Irish Kennel Club who will give you official papers. If you are viewing pups, ask to see the mother and other dogs and where they are kept. As pugs can have medical issues, you should really check everything possible to make sure the pups have been bred and looked after properly.

Oh and despite what you read about pugs being low-energy dogs and require only short walks - this is not the case with ours. Without his daily walks he will climb the walls! I think this could be written about pugs in warmer climates as they are affected a lot by heat due to their lack of a snout. In Ireland though pugs are well able to keep up on a walk except for the few odd warm days that we get.

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

I really wouldn't recommend buying a dog as a present for someone. Too many dogs end up in rescues and pounds as unwanted gifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭youthacademy

I really wouldn't recommend buying a dog as a present for someone. Too many dogs end up in rescues and pounds as unwanted gifts.

I'm not buying it for a feckin 5 yr old, it a present for a dog owner who is actively looking for a one....
    Thanks for the motherly advice though

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

Sorry for so obviously causing offence, but it's an all too common occurence that I thought you should be aware of.

Coming on with a thread saying you are buying it as a present was obviously going to get a comment like this back. No need for the attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 puppypower

I got a fawn pug puppy last year from a breeder in Port Laoise (Dunne) The kennel club gave me the number. I paid 800euro and it was the best money that I ever spent. He's perfect. Best lookin pug around, has done well in shows, very friendly, easy to train and a little character.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

puppypower wrote: »
    I got a fawn pug puppy last year from a breeder in Port Laoise (Dunne) The kennel club gave me the number. I paid 800euro and it was the best money that I ever spent. He's perfect. Best lookin pug around, has done well in shows, very friendly, easy to train and a little character.

We got ours from a breeder in Portlaoise too, I wonder are they related ;)

Pugs have so much character alright, their head tilts and chin rests are so unique

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭havetoquit

Really agree with last post and unfortunatley the web is full of dogs which are being sold under the heading of 'pedigree' and have come from cruel badly kept puppy farms where the poor bitches are being bred from way way beyond accepable years until they become so diminished and ill. These bitches are then no longer wanted and cruelly either dumped, starved or sold on to some unsuspecting person who has no idea of their past history or that they were kept under unaccepable conditions cooped up, no exercise perhaps and to make matters worse with a load of behaviour issues one of which is being terrified of humans. Any wonder you could ask. Most reputable caring breeders will not sell through websites, but will advertise their kennels which you can check out with before commiting to buy. Certainly there are those who are in a position to give the time and love to one of those puppy farm dogs, but they must also have the finacial resources to deal with possibly on going vetinary bills for the health problems these dogs often have. Take your time, do your research and find a reputable breeder for the type of do you want. Your vetinary would be a good place to ask, of look up the list of breeders in or near your area. Sometimes people have to be prepared to travel to find a healthy dog which has been correctly and responsibly bred and not in bred. There are good breeders out there and many bad ones, who sadly could not really be termed as dog lovers, as they are in the business for money alone. You will be well rewarded for taking time to find a healthy little dog which has come from a well loved kenell.Insist on seeing the mother and if possible the father, health certs from vet etc. Some breeders make excuses as to why you can't see the mother/Father. Be wary of this and ask why. Ask for the names of other people she/he have provided puppies to and have a chat with them as to any issues which may have arisen. A healthy dog with no behavioural issues is vital if you are to have a happy and enjoyable relationship with each other. Read all you possibly can about the breed. The net is full of interesting info and so are libraries. I wish you every possible luck in finding a suitable companion and one who will be loyal to you and love you unconditionally if treated properly.

Advertisement