Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which broadband thingy?

• 17-05-2010 4:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Ok guys and gals. I am an old codger internetting on a broadband system set for me by my daughter who is working a long way away. The thing is she says I can get a package that I dont have to pay for the landline and the broadband is cheaper. I internetted aertel I think, and filled out a questionaire that it said I had to fill out to get a quote. Then at the end of all of this filling in it said that a representative would call me, which they did not. Frustration set in and I left it at that. Anyway I am over it now so is there an old codger proof way to get cheap broadband, it does not have to be Star Trek warp drive fast and I would not be download a heap of stuff but waiting for a long time for a quote is not for me.
    Any suggestions would be most welcome.
    Thanking ye all in advance.
    Old Tom.

Comments

What company are you waiting for a quote from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

No landline requirement means either Cable broadband or Wireless.

www.irishbroadband.ie provide a fairly cheap wireless service. (€19 per month). They install a dish on the roof of your house. It's not available everywhere though as it required line-of-sight to one of their towers.

www.UPC.ie and www.Magnet.ie) are Cable broadband providers. They have cheap packages too. They use the same connection & cabling that you get your TV signal from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

LaughingJoker, to be honest I cannot remember. I thought it was aertel. It peed me off that I spent a while filling in the information, name address, exactly where I was on the map, phone number etc and then..nothing so I forgot about it. It wasn't worth the hassle.
    Crazyrabbit many thanks I will have a look at those sites. Thansk for taking the time to reply lads.
    Kind regards.
    Old Tom

[BI checked out Irish Broadband and that does not give me free line rental. I have a phone line in the house and I was told I can get a cheap package somewhere where that rental is absorbed by the broadband provider. After reading Irish Broadband that does not seem to be the case.Chcking out the other one now. Magnet is not available in my area and the other on is 35 euro a month only if I have the TV with them. So the question is what is the cheapest stand alone package for free line rental and broadband (Without the telly and all the other fiddly bits). I am not looking for free calls either just free line rental and broadband. Now you see how difficult it is.
    Thanks for your patience guys

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

Don't know your details (age etc) but have you checked to see if you are entittled to the telephone allowence from the social welfare,if you are,then the line rental is paid for and you pay the extra for the BB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

No one gives free line rental, unless you qualify for it already. The cheapest DSL (phone line broadband) can be found with companies like UTV Internet, Magnet and Vodafone. eircom are the most expensive.

For broadband without a phone line, you may want to look at UPC (cable, formerly NTL or Chorus), Digiweb (wireless) and Imagine Breeze (also wireless)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

enfield, if you go with a wireless or cable broadband provider, you can get rid of the phone line completely.

You can install & use software called 'Skype' for very low cost phone calls (www.skype.com).

Many thanks for all the suggestions guys. I really want to keep the landline as it is cheaper than the mobile which makes the package I am looking for almost impossible to get. Anyway, you have been very tolerant with me and I appreciate all your help.
    The best of luck to you all and thanks again.
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

Advertisement