Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Competition] Mad for Style? Go Doo-Lally.com!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 XpenguinX

The shame:eek:.
    When i was on my first ever date (aged 13)
    I wore an illuminous fake yellow D&G t-shirt, Playboy three quarter lengths and white and black platform shoes and yes unfortunately there is more. I...I .... I .... i'm not sure I can even bare to say this! I wore a playboy necklace with matching earrings:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I used to have a long denim skirt & denim blouse which I later passed on to my mam. Bear in mind that I was aged 14, and about a size 6 and I passed it on to my mam who was size 16 or so, so you can imagine how ridiculously big the outfit was on me... I also wore a yellow banana clip in my hair for about 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

A solid blue Tommy Hilfiger button down shirt with black jeans and runners.

I looked so much like Pa Connors, especially with the red hair and 14 year old scorn: I shudder remembering it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭damoz

Paisley Shirts. It was the 80s though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Bright pink parachute pants, you know the ones that had all the strings coming out of them. I lived in those for a summer when I was about 12.

That or I had two pairs of flared jeans, one was bright yellow, the others were baby pink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 lalalovely

Pink velour tracksuit with a rainbow stripe down each leg and arm......

And hair that was all knotted up on top like Scary Spice from the Spice Girls.

Together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭warrenaldo

Brown Shoes
    Brown Slacks
    Brown Belt
    Brown Polo-neck - with the sleeves rolled up (of course)

I did'nt pull that night - not sure why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollypocket10

oh too many to recall :eek: but heres a few

Johnny Brubaker (Tommy Hilfiger rip-off) super puffy jacket that looked like I was wrapped in a sleeping bag... not a good look, especially when you are 5 foot nothing :P

To a teenage disco I once wore a white crochet belly top( hadn't quite lost the puppy fat so belly was a bit wibbly),it was completely transparent and worn with a black bra(didn't even need it as the boobs didn't start growing until I reached about 17), paired with a short pvc skirt and knee boots... Oh the shame

Back in the late 90's there was a craze for tops with Chinese symbols printed on them which I wore to a friends mothers funeral (RIP). Unfortunately this friends mother was Chinese but I didn't have the cop-on to think that there would probably be a large Chinese community in attendance. God only knows what those symbols actually meant, I was praying it was nothing obscene and my friends wouldn't sit with me because they were so embarassed... oops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Platform lace up shoes, over sized black jeans and an umbro hoodie jumper that was too big for me.
    :(

As a kid I remember my mum letting me pick out a purple and bright orange polka dot ensemble of a leggings and a t-shirt to match.

I also went through a phase of dying my clothes bright colours and writing on them things such as "Barbie is a slut".

Oh and I went through a riot grrrl phase in the mid nineties - baby doll shoes, knee high socks and dresses that I can only liken to nighties. My poor mother used to make me wear a high necked t-shirt under them which I would whip off when I would go out, bra showing and all. Oh, the class.

Now of course I really am classy as ****, but unemployed and need some new clothes rather than constant recession recycling TBH. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭fonda

Orange bomber jacket and bleach blonde hair!
    The photos are horrendous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭clairemcbear

Going through a 'goth' faze and wearing snot green tights with fish nets over them,with stripey pink and black knee-high socks over the two of them,with dark green converse which were falling apart! and this was just the legs down!
    Before this,I went through a tracksuit faze and remember wearing a bright red zip-up with bright red o'neil tracksuit bottoms,with my red hair to match my red face!
    Before this,my sister and I got matching snot green fleeces and 'pull-offs' pants and used to wear it to death!

I have eventually grown out of this :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

I was into the one hit wonders KRIS KROSS.
    One of their main ways to express themselves was to wear their clothes backwards.
    Im afraid to say it, I did too wear my clothes backwards at times. NUF SAID.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Has to be the baggy x-works jeans, cream polo neck with a draw-string neck/collar, black wool type waist coat and black leather hat.

Thinkin' I was the cheeze at school disco's in the early 90's lol

**shudder**

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

fonda wrote: »
    Orange bomber jacket and bleach blonde hair!
    The photos are horrendous!

oh God you just reminded me.. puffa jackets.. me & my friend had matching red 1s. dear God they were awful..
    (we didnt match on purpose, it just happened that way :()

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Am still having a lot of them!

Spent college living in either paisley shirts, or boy t-shirts (the baggy, long, round necked kind) and black jeans with lace up shoes. I looked like a boy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Mine was aubergine cord skirt suit matched with a goth style black top. I really topped the whole ensemble off with black knee high boots and black fishnet tights. The top had floppy bat wing arms and god love I actually thought I looked well in it. Oh Shudder!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Bicycle shorts (they weren't actual bicycle shorts, but that's what I called them, they were just really tight stretchy shorts, basically), one leg being neon green and the other was neon pink.
    With those, I would wear my favourite Flinstones t-shirt. Which was baby pink and yellow. COMPLETE clash with neon colours. :)
    Then for footwear I would wear these crazy platform type runners. They were denim, with a massive white platform. Complete with knee high white socks that I more than likely still had on from school.
    And to top it all off, a bubble bag. Yep, a blow up bag. Oh and a Boyzone hairband. Stylish or what!

Hahaha, oh my gosh! I had forgotten about bicycle shorts! And bubble bags! Dear god, those were some good times!

United Colours of Benetton, bicycle shorts in every colour! I also had a pair of 'canary yellow' jeans from there which I wore with a lovely matching yellow polo neck... tucked in, and a stripey cardigan in every colour of the rainbow.

Cica runners with flashing lights. Oh, and 'ski pants'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

A lovely pair of flesh couloured/pale peach leggings.

I was in Leaving cert and we could wear when we wanted to our end of term Christmas party. So I wore them with a trés cool mid thigh length denim shirt.

It was only when my headmistress approached me, initially to tell me off about the unbelievable shortness of my "dress" and said "Oh lord, I thought we had a student here who had forgotten her trousers!" , that I copped that it looked like I was basically naked from mid thigh down.

For months after schoolmates asked me had I forgotten my trousers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Oh god mine would have to be when I was a young teenager I lived in Galway for the summer and got a bit carried away with the hippy vibe up there and went around dressed head to foot in tye dyed clothes (lots of it rainbow and all at the same time) with big chunky wolly socks and sandals :o

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭blondiexox

I can't remember what they were called but they were these combat style pants that had loads of long bits of material hanging out of them, they were really really awful! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

MrStuffins wrote: »
    My mother ought me a set, a pair of Jeans and a Jumber and exblazend on both was these guys..........

e-gall-goss-twins.jpg

I think i have a picture of me wearing it somewhere. I'll post it if i find it

OH THE SHAME!

I hope you win! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

A picture paints a thousand words!

merrion-gal-brits.jpg

+1 for white denim jeans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Navy and Black

And sandals and socks are regulars for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

I was a total tom boy when I was little but my mam would dress me in pink skirts and leggins,to even it out I always wore my huge dirty doc martin boots:pac:

Would also insist on runnin around in dirty overalls 'cause my dad was a mechanic!

Then theres the little tracksuits me and my cousin would wear,exactly the same but in different colours.

Brown cords and huge wooly old-man jumpers..
    Oh I must've looked awful my whole childhood:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Double denim :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭magicray

Ooooh I have a few :o

Flowery leggings and a stripy top - often teamed with stripy popsocks too, I had a black "Boy George" hat too that was worn with everything :o

I loved Bros back then and had the bottle tops on my docs !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Purple cords, flowery shirt & a hand embroidered denim jacket that I embellished myself. I thought I was the bees knees. And yes, it was in the 80's not a previous era. :o

ETA:
    This get up also included platform runners MaryJane styleee, white popsocks & a scrunchie.

*crawls into a hole in shame*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

From the age of 11 to around 14 I dressed pretty much like a boy. I used to wear black or khaki octopus pants (combats with strips of material hanging off them, for anyone who never witnessed their horror) which were so baggy I could probably have three people into them. I'd team then with an XL mens band t-shirt (Green Day, Sum 41, Linkin Park, what ever was my current flavour of the week) and on cold days an XL mens band jumper. I probably could have worn the t-shirts and jumpers as dresses they were so big.
    To top off this loveliness I'd cut holes in fishnet tights and wear them on my arms under my t-shirts and cut the toes out of stripy toe-socks and wear them as arm warmers. Then I'd stick a thick line of black eyeliner under my eye and I'd be good to go. It all wasn't helped by the fact that my hair was a triangular frizzball (I had yet to learn how to tame curly hair).
    I remember once going on a holiday to Spain during a heatwave when I was 13 and refusing to wear anything other than my usual all-black heavy clothes. I got heatstroke and had to spend most of the holiday in bed. If that's not a fashion faux pas I don't know what is!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

Daily teaching classes while covered with the dawg's hair from that morning's hug-session.

And not caring.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Purple trousers, a mans shirt and a hair quiff that would put Jedward to shame

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭PatsyStone

Every Christmas Day was a fashion faux pas for me! Worst fashion mistake has to be slouch socks (remember those? shudder) with black patent shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Offside

My mother insisted on dressing my older brother and I in matching trousers with stripy shirts and suspenders when we were younger. The pictures are not pretty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Using a mahogany tint on my brown hair that I thought didn't take, it took my mam a week to tell me the hair on the back of my head was practically red.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Grudle

Black shirt, navy trousers, white socks & brown shoes, topped off with a bright red jacket. I looked damn good that night but for some reason came home alone!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Bellemz

I work with horses and for a while I didn't bother separating horse and non horse clothes in my wardrobe. I went out on a regular basis in my favourite FAR TOO TIGHT jeans, an oversized mens' fleece that had horse hair on it, a tank top and odd converse (one pink, one flowery blue). Combine that with pale skin, wayward eyebrows and really frizzy hair...it was not pretty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Has to be the X-Works and Eclipse jeans in the 90's. Soooo bad...

Eclipse jeans had one of these ':)' emblazoned all over the pockets...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 LMGB

Years ago my mam went to London and brought me back an outfit that every time I see photos of now I cringe, I would actually burn the photos given half a chance, it was a pair of black velvet trousers, a white satin blouse with a black dickie bow (don't ask:rolleyes:) and then she went and knit me a HORRIBLE mohair black and white jumper with big black bows on it:eek: I was only 7 and hated it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭ciaglen

Mine has got to be primark sweat suits ohhhhhhh the shame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Rebs wife here.
    At the age of thirteen when others looked cool my mother dressed me in very fetching outfits..... long ankle length kilts in various colours teamed with matching velvet jumpers with lace collars, white knee socks topped off with a pudding bowl bob because she said my hair would never grow properly ( a lie as I have had long hair since the age of fifteen).
    Not to mention the scratchy jumpers knocked up on mass on the knitting machine for all the cousins and ourselves with buttons down the shoulders! My own include MC hammer pants, large shoulder pads, a suit with fish all over it topped off by white plastic earings and a recreation of Mark Shaw the lead singer of the band then jericho's hair ( a bad mistake as it looked nothing like it). I have many more but you get the gist...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

I think I took the biscuit. I used to wear clothes that my mum knitted me. I can't use the excuse that I was too young to decide what to wear - I was a young teenager :eek:

For example there was the bright fuchsia chenille jumper, it had pipes and bobbles and there was the butter yellow jumper with lime green trimmings and bright fuchsia flowers :eek: or yes. Neither jumper was fitting, but big and baggy AND to top it off I used to wear them with stirrup leggings and canvas runners! As for accessories, I had one of those velvet scrunchies. I am cringing just even thinking about this.

Oh it was horrendous. I am ashamed to say I kept the jumpers to remind me of what not to wear. It wasn't even the 80's , it was the 90's. I really should upload some pics to show you how bad they were.

EDIT: Just dug out a few photos of those jumpers and realised that I used to hear moleskin flared jeans with it. The were dark blue with light blue swirls on it. Oh god, now I know why I forgotten, blocked them out of my memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Kootenay

My sister and I performed a duet at an extended family reunion (we're talking hundreds of people) wearing matching perms, neon watermelon-esq knee length shorts, black t-shirts with matching watermelon trim, and of course matching watermelon scrunchies in our hair. But hey, it was the 80's, does that count as a fashion faux pas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jo_t89

I'd have to say the worst would be when I started secondary school in first year. Wanting to make a good impression so I'd be seen as "fashion-forward", i sported a pair of jeans which looked as if i had thrown up glitter on myself. They were covered in neon sequins. I bought them in Winstons in Bray, and for those of you who aren't familiar with this shop, the name says it all- frumptastic. I teamed those bad boys with a lovely salmon pink skirt, to get the much saught-after "skouser" effect (why on earth did that go out of fashion, I wonder).

My ex-boyfriend, who I met that day in first year, claimed a while back that he could still remember the sequin jeans winking at him. Hey, if it got his 13 year old attention back then, think of the power those jeans would hold now!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

I was a bit of a tom boy when I was younger! One year for Christmas when I was about 12 my mother took us clothes shopping for our christmas clothes! My sister got this lovely girly dress but I insisted I wanted something army print!! After trawling through town for hours I dragged my mam into an actual army shop and made her buy me a combats, t-shirt and waistcoat all with army print and big black boots to match!!! :o I probably got some looks at mass on Christmas morning but I thought I was the bee's knees!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭boscoroxx

Cow hide waistcoat and bell bottom jeans, teamed with a red flannel shirt and red cowboy boots. No, it wasn't halloween... It was 11 years ago... When Line-dancing swept the nation... I could have given Woody from Toy Story a run for his money, *facepalm*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭jmbkay

"Nicks" runners. My mother told me they were Nike. I had reading problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Has to be my Confirmation!

I wore - Navy silk Pilatsoes (sp?) they had a white silk belt, white ribbed top with navy flowers on it!

White satin jacket with shoulder pads in it!

Black patent leather shoes with a MASSIVE silver buckle on them and to top all that off white socks!

Oh my hair - My mam got it crimped!!!! :eek: I have never in my life felt so uncomfortable!!

I ironed the very expensive trousers a week later so she could never make me wear them again!! I cringe at the thoughts of it now 12 years later :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Attempting to dye my hair a shade of blonde would be my worst faux pas. That alone is bad enough but after putting in the dye and watching it bleach my hair almost white I panicked and washed it out.

Since I only wanted it to be a little blonde, I was pretty annoyed, so I went to the haridressers and got my head shaved. The woman cutting my hair remarked 'you did a great job getting to the roots, I can't get all the blonde out.'

By then it was too late to save it, my head was described as 'leopardesque' and 'the full moon' for about a month while I waited for enough brown hair to appear to get the head shaved again. Worse still, I was in first year of college and can only imagine what the people sitting above/behind me in lectures were thinking. (All 500 of them :()

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Has to be when I was going to do an aptitude test for Aerlingus (about 20 yrs ago now) and my mother convinced me I should look the part. Needless to say I was an 18 yr old kid into sport who lived in either tracksuits or jeans.

My mother asked one of my uncles for a loan of one of his suits and convinced me it looked great and I would be fine.

It was a beige flared two piece suit (ala Saturday Night Fever). I turned up at the exam, everyone there wearing either tracksuits or just casual gear. Needless to say I couldn't wait to get out of there and fcuked the suit in the bin when I got home.................oh I didn't get the job.

saturday_night_fever_travolta8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

Id have to say my ridiculously baggy jeans in the late 90s, combined with briefly having dreads, cool if I was a californian beach bum, not so cool when Im a pasty white Dublin guy.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement