Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WW1 german stick grenade

Options
  • 17-05-2010 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

hey folks
    i was at an antiques fair at the weekend and saw a german grenade from world war 1, i dont actually collect anything as such,but i was interested in this,
    it was €120,but i have now seen one online for sale at €350!!,

and have also read online that production of them during the war had reached 8million a month,and there are around 20 different types,

are these rare/worth collecting??
    stickgrenade.jpg

it looked very similar to this one

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Hi bladebrew,sounds like a chance find,there are also many repro's of these around and many are made to look aged,even though there's plenty of mortar,shells and grenades around especially at shows and so on I would still put the collecting of such as a grey area and something worth looking into regarding legality before considering buying especially off the Internet,a friend off my mine in Britain had the police at the door after he posted something similar to someone on the Channel Islands even though it was declared on the package.Does anyone here know the law about buying or owning these?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

arnhem44 wrote: »
    ....Does anyone here know the law about buying or owning these?

Hi arnhem,

well it is a tricky area. Personally, I think there are too many problems associated with these here (just have a look over at some threads here and in the shooting forum on people who collect brass shells). The one in the picture looks like a replica. As for inert, professionally deactivated grenades etc. I think you have to be on the safe side here in Ireland and get a written permission from your local Superintendent to hold these items as a collector. Same actually goes for deactivated firearms. They are classed as "defective" firearms but still require a written permission (but not a firearms licence) from your Super.
    Many think that because they can buy deacts they don't need permission to hold them. Wrong. So with these grenades, shells etc I'd always say err on the cautious side and talk to your Super about what you intend to collect etc. I only have had very good experiences with my local Super and collecting militaria.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

cheers for the info guys,

i didnt realise there were so many replicas around until i took a look at a few websites virtually all of them were selling copies,

im assuming the one i was looking at was real he also said it was deactived,the picture in my post is a replica sorry!

it does sound like a bit of grey area alright, especially with the amount of copies around,and i dont want the thing going off inside my house!!
    im not even sure where the guy was based so if i see him again at a different show i will ask him more questions!

Advertisement