Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

1102103104105106108»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,097 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Update on these SNES region adapters, perhaps give them a miss.

I was trying out my new modded 1chip SNES and the pico fuse in it blew. Not something I've ever seen a SNES do.

I did have the region adapter running fine with my Super Famicom so it's not necessarily the cause, however it would be a massive coincidence if it wasn't. (games were running fine, I put the region adapter in as a physical bypass for a US game and then the console wouldn't switch on)

All sorted now but I think I might be finding an alternative solution for my US SNES games. Might finally cave and buy a US SNES.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭Inviere

You could by a US Snes Junior? Not as hideous as the regular one, and has comparable video output to a 1chip afaik?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭Inviere

OR….give that badly yellowed SFC a new home inside this…

https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/1005007212175033.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2vnm4itemAdapt

^^ Replacement shell for SFC with universal Snes cart slot

Master of the Universe

If only the originals rolled out of the factory like that, eh?

Actually if that's 1:1 (which I'd imagine it must be if it's made for real hardware to be transplanted) I wonder could you use the cart slot section as a replacement on the real thing?

Would just need to spray it the correct shade of grey and away you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Full 3D scan of the separate parts. Would need some editing to do the job though.

https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/super-famicom-pal-snes-console-scan.5499/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

a few weeks back I made myself a small 3d printed mod to fit a 4.3 inch composite screen on a PcEngine .
    Comes with a small audio amp and small speakers
    I posted the model and all the aliexpress link to all the parts on thingyverse if anyone fancies trying to build one :)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6707757

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Dug out the Sega Dreamcast over the weekend to try the translation of 'Rent a Hero' (o1s1n mentioned it on here) to find my clone GDEmu was giving me problems. So it isn't the clone device, but rather the SD card extender so it can be mounted/presented nicely.

Seemily the C2 capactor on the sd card extender board can give issues, vague info here, so I replaced that. Unsure if that improved anything but found the issue is more how the extender sd card sits in the GDEmu - it is very hit/miss. You can install the SD card direct in the GDEmu with no issues. I'm sure after the console gets a bump it will act up again. Might get/print another mount and buy a new extender card in the future to replace as I don't really fancy hacking up the board.

Master of the Universe

I've heard of a lot of people having issues with those SD card extenders. My setup is barebones, just have the GDEmu with the SD card going directly into it.

Was actually going to get an extender and the 3d printed holder for it as I was reading it actually helps direct cooling from the fan to the PSU (without the holder or the optical drive all the cool air just exits through the hole where the drive was)

Enjoy Rent a Hero by the way! First Dreamcast game I've played through start to finish in years, definitely a bit of a laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

tbh, keeping it barebones might make a whole lot more sense. Could print this 'barebone' tray which means you still use the GDEmu SD card slot, keep the airflow around the machine/psu and not risk the chance of an SD card falling into the console when inserting or removing it :D

Update - works great!

On the game, yup - it kicked into the opening song. Games need to not take themselves seriously more often!

Post edited by KeRbDoG on

Master of the Universe

That's really cool, I'll have to see if I can source one of of them. Yeah the SD card falling into the console is definitely an annoyance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Where is everyone getting their 3d prints like this dreamcast tray? I've around 20 things to get printed. I hear "jlcpcb" are good but it might be cheaper to buy a printer myself in the long run. Just nowhere to keep it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Head over to 3D Printing Ireland Facebook group and I'm sure you'll find someone close enough to you willing to do it for a reasonable price. I'm the admin there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3dprintingireland

Advertisement