Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    SNES RGB cables are strange beasts. Check out MMMonkey to see how to mod a RGB cable for SNES. Sometimes you have to remove the resistors in the cables to get it working.
    I saw that .
    Seemingly a PAL GC RGB cable will do the trick with a US SNES , its a bit odd alright though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,119 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If you're ever buying one, just get it from Consolegoods.co.uk. On their ebay store they say if it's for a PAL or NTSC snes.

It'd odd though. Sure my Super Famicom is running off a Megadrive 1 PSU.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

o1s1n wrote: »
    If you're ever buying one, just get it from Consolegoods.co.uk. On their ebay store they say if it's for a PAL or NTSC snes.

It'd odd though. Sure my Super Famicom is running off a Megadrive 1 PSU.

yeah , its weird , googling it originally consisted of a few people using step down adaptors, some using 3rd party psu's , one or two using meg 1 psus (which is odd as I the jack size and type is wrong surely?) and then I saw the mmonkey guide...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭MrVestek

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What type of CD drive does it use? Find out the make and model. If you are lucky you will find a chinese or hong kong seller selling new units of the laser or like me and the CDi, a newer model that is compatible with the older one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

These consoles use the Sony KSS-210A laser assembly, still readily available.

I don't think it's the laser though that's the thing... this is a Model 2 unit but it's revision one hardware so it's not the easier to find Sony lense unfortunately.

Also the CD spindle seems a little too low and very very stiff. I'm also using a variable power supply to power it up, could that have anything to do with it?

Master of the Universe

The spindle should turn easily. Could always try the spindle lifting fix I did on a couple of Saturns?

I was trying to lift up the spindle last night but I had no joy... how have you been doing it?

Y'know this was sold as the laser being faulty... I bet that this is all that's wrong with it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Doge

Steve SI wrote: »
    Yeah, I've a Macintosh that was built in Ireland as well. They made them down in Cork I think.

Yeah, the iMac is still assembled in Cork to this day.

I think the Mac Pro is also but I'm not 100% sure.

• Advertisement

waveform wrote: »
    Yeah, the iMac is still assembled in Cork to this day.

I think the Mac Pro is also but I'm not 100% sure.

Ugh I can't seem to get the spindle to move up the motor's bar no matter what I try. As you can see from this pic the spindle is way too low on the bar.

Any advice is much appreciated.

212668.jpg

Master of the Universe

Brute force is what I use to be honest!

Never tried it with a Mega CD though, so can't really compare...but if it's anything like the Saturn it takes a good heave to pull it up.

Best to just try to pull it completely off the spindle and reseat it rather than just lift it a bit.

Brute force is what I use to be honest!

Never tried it with a Mega CD though, so can't really compare...but if it's anything like the Saturn it takes a good heave to pull it up.

Best to just try to pull it completely off the spindle and reseat it rather than just lift it a bit.
    Just using your bare hands? I must be a bloody weakling so...

212684.jpg

After much fiddling about with cables and finally being able to correct the height of the spindle....

It's ALIIIIIVVVVEEEE!

I haven't... Aherm... Aquired anything for it yet so here it is playing one of my Queen CDs. :-)

Delighted that I got it up and running.

Master of the Universe

Fantastic news! Great to hear that the Mega CD can be fixed by lifting the spindle too.

Although, like the Saturn, it's saddening as it means many were probably chucked out for being 'broken'.

Fantastic news! Great to hear that the Mega CD can be fixed by lifting the spindle too.

Although, like the Saturn, it's saddening as it means many were probably chucked out for being 'broken'.

....don't get me started on repairing the Sega Saturn.

I hear what you're saying though... although the issue with this one was fairly obvious from the start considering that when you put a disc in the drive it was level with the plastic :rolleyes:

sugarman wrote: »
    Don't suppose anyone would have a loan of a gameboy tri-tip screwdriver for a day or two?

Or even, know anywhere I could pick up one locally on the cheap?

If you have one of those multi tip screwdrivers you can usually buy sets in most hardware stores for €5 - €7 that will come with a few triwing tips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I need to clean a load of NES and Famicom cart connector as I have a lot of them here that aren't working and look very dirty.
    What does everyone else use to clean them?
    I normally use cotton buds and an alcohol based cleaner but if anyone has any tips I'll gladly listen.
    I need to go to the shop tomorrow to buy some cleaning supplies so I can pick up any stuff you guys recommend if I don't have it here already.

130 carts to clean :(

Master of the Universe

Have you tried a pencil eraser on any of them? Apparently those crumbly ones work wonders on edge connectors.

Have you tried a pencil eraser on any of them? Apparently those crumbly ones work wonders on edge connectors.

I'll give that a go.
    Any other chemicals worth trying? I'm all about the chems :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I need to clean a load of NES and Famicom cart connector as I have a lot of them here that aren't working and look very dirty.
    What does everyone else use to clean them?
    I normally use cotton buds and an alcohol based cleaner but if anyone has any tips I'll gladly listen.
    I need to go to the shop tomorrow to buy some cleaning supplies so I can pick up any stuff you guys recommend if I don't have it here already.

130 carts to clean :(

I use steel wool, followed by a surgical wipe (brother has loads of these cause he is diabetic) then i wipe that off with a qtip. wear a mask with that steel wool stuff if you go that way. it will choke you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I'd assume all you'd need to do is take the old one out and re solder the new one in?

I'd assume all you'd need to do is take the old one out and re solder the new one in?

Seems handy enough.

From one of the reviews:
    It does require de-soldering the broken port and soldering this one in. So if you are not prepared to solder, this is not for you. But it also includes general instructions. With this little gem, I fixed my SNES in about 15 minutes. I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭dmcdante

Hi Lads there is a game gear up on adverts but its not turning on you think it can be fixed or just leave it alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Here's the video of my CPS2 fan mod:

Anyone know where I might grab one of these little LCD frames.

IMG_0630.jpg
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-AjbcCCpaHVc/Tj1vENVCY3I/AAAAAAAAAUU/w_h8JBR80Bo/s1600/IMG_0630.jpg

It's for the Floppy drive emulator I got the other day.

I managed to clean a bunch of NES cart contacts really well after experimenting with various chemicals and other solutions.
    Thanks to o1s1n for the heads up on the pencil eraser trick.
    It didn't work so well until I tried some of the artist type erasers my GF has, they work fantastic :)

So my process now is to open up the NES carts and remove the pcb and go to work on the contacts with the erasers first. Then my little chemical mix after that (non corrosive/damaging to the contacts of course).
    The erasers get rid of most of the heavy dirt and build-up and the chems seem to get most of what's left.

End result(was mingin and non working before I got to it):
    dsc2331n.jpg

My problem now is I have a load of famicom carts that need cleaning and I'd like to use the above method as it really works well.
    But as anyone who's tried to open a famicom cart knows, those suckers break really easy.
    Anyone have an tips on opening them up without breaking the tabs? I've tried the vice grips method and its just to damn finicky to get working reliable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Anyone here do cap replacements?
    Got a load of stuff today and I think one of my new Macs has a blown cap (blue and dark blue large squares on screen)

Advertisement