Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Is a Dingoo 330 worth owning?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Does the green LED come on?
    Have you tried a different usb cable?
    You should get a response without a chip, in fact if you have a chip in it, it will tell you to remove it.

Yeh the light is on alright. I downloaded a driver from here its about 4 down on the list, but when i go to install it its telling me the digital cert is missing.
    http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/mcumall_download.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

keithgeo wrote: »
    Hey,

Ive downloaded and installed the software, listed first on the link above. rebooted the pc and plugged in the GQ-4X. getting the below when i open the software.

Did not get response from programmer.
    Demo only.

Does this normally come up if there is no chip in it or am i missing something, is the driver seperate to that software install?

Im on windows 8.1 64bit

Think the driver is a separate install, you'll might have to turn off the Win 8.1 driver signature stuff as well. There is a guide for that here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Hmmm, is it showing in device manager?
    I'm not a windows 8 user so couldn't advise :(

EDIT**
    Check this sticky out
    http://www.mcumall.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4970

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Im on windows 8.1 64bit

barney.gif

• Advertisement

Think the driver is a separate install, you'll might have to turn off the Win 8.1 driver signature stuff as well. There is a guide for that here.

Yep that did it, rebooted disabled signature verification, installed the driver, rebooted and its working now. thanks a lot.

Anyone here have an ESR Meter for reading caps? was thinking about getting one. Do i need one really for trying to fix pcbs?

Was looking at this one here..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MESR-100-Capacitor-Circuit-Meter-Probe/dp/B00I03WLEM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-1&keywords=esr+meter

Anyone here have an ESR Meter for reading caps? was thinking about getting one. Do i need one really for trying to fix pcbs?

Was looking at this one here..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MESR-100-Capacitor-Circuit-Meter-Probe/dp/B00I03WLEM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-1&keywords=esr+meter

I usually just pull caps and replace them if I think they may be at fault, caps are pennies and I keep a big box of all different values, you can buy packs for about €10 with all the common values.
    You might be better off investing in a logic probe, get one with audio though, I made the mistake of getting one with visual only, the audio/buzzar is handy for trouble shooting sound issues, much easier than the visual only.

Thanks, im going to buy a bit of stuff now, ill get a logic probe too, where would buy those caps from? also whats the best place to get stuff like wire and solder etc and what should i get haha! I need a wire for the -5 on the bubble bobble bootleg anyways so what type should i get and what type of solder? seems to be a lot of options.

Thanks, im going to buy a bit of stuff now, ill get a logic probe too, where would buy those caps from? also whats the best place to get stuff like wire and solder etc and what should i get haha! I need a wire for the -5 on the bubble bobble bootleg anyways so what type should i get and what type of solder? seems to be a lot of options.
    I bought a big bundle like this on ebay http://www.ebay.ie/itm/LAST-FEW-250-Electrolytic-Capacitors-Kit-Assorted-Values-300-gram-Pack-/360997004488?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item540d1924c8
    Dare I say maplins do a pack of 120, I think they are €17 in ireland though

but you cant go wrong with http://ie.rs-online.com/web/ for wire, solder, etc.

• Advertisement

what solder and wire do you recommend, there are so many options, i want to make sure i get the right ones. especially the right wire i need for that BB board

Any bit of wire 24AWG or lower is fine for the -5V line, its supposed to limited to 1A.

Make sure you get solder with lead in it, old boards you'll be working on will all be leaded solder and this doesn't mix well with leadless.

Cool, does it have to be fully lead or a mix like 60\40?

Cool, does it have to be fully lead or a mix like 60\40?

Its always a mix, pure lead makes shi1te solder :)

ah cool , thanks for the help!

Is there a difference between these two logic probes? cant decide if i need the more expensive one.. these are the only ones on RS

http://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/needle-point-probes/5375163/

http://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/needle-point-probes/5377591/

http://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/needle-point-probes/5375163/
    That's the one I have and I wouldn't recommend, no audio and I've seen the lads in the UK use ones which are much easier to read with a buzzar on them too

ok ill hold off buying one from that site so and get one with sound elsewhere, thanks a lot.

How do you identify a chip off a pcb if it has not writing on it? ive a socketed one here ive taken off but there is no writing on it anywhere so i cant select the type to read it?

Edit:

I tried the WWF Wrestlefest i got, its a bootleg i think, and one that doesnt seem to be in Mame. The picture was playing yellow initially, i upped the voltage on the powersupply and it plays OK now, slightly white. all character sprites are missing.

It has one socketed eeprom on it, i removed it and have now managed to read it i think, by basically guessing what type it was!

I used that Hamster website to try find out what rom it is, but i dont think its in mame.

Web based Rom Ident v0.3
    This is work in progress, if your have any questions, comments suggests, shoot me a PM/Email

Mame romset information (if in mame)
    game maws link desc rom name

Other information useful about this file:
    CRC32B dd15174e
    CRC32 9681e60a
    SHA1 c09d1a9bc3b04dce8a611a1cbf235c087318486d
    FLUKE SIG 3B46
    CHECKSUM 54C5

Think maybe one of the caps is gone too, i dunno ,it could just be the plastic coming off..

caps.jpg

How do you identify a chip off a pcb if it has not writing on it? ive a socketed one here ive taken off but there is no writing on it anywhere so i cant select the type to read it?

Edit:

I tried the WWF Wrestlefest i got, its a bootleg i think, and one that doesnt seem to be in Mame. The picture was playing yellow initially, i upped the voltage on the powersupply and it plays OK now, slightly white. all character sprites are missing.

It has one socketed eeprom on it, i removed it and have now managed to read it i think, by basically guessing what type it was!

I used that Hamster website to try find out what rom it is, but i dont think its in mame.

Web based Rom Ident v0.3
    This is work in progress, if your have any questions, comments suggests, shoot me a PM/Email

Mame romset information (if in mame)
    game maws link desc rom name

Other information useful about this file:
    CRC32B dd15174e
    CRC32 9681e60a
    SHA1 c09d1a9bc3b04dce8a611a1cbf235c087318486d
    FLUKE SIG 3B46
    CHECKSUM 54C5

Think maybe one of the caps is gone too, i dunno ,it could just be the plastic coming off..

caps.jpg
    I doubt it's missing from mame, if you guess the wrong chip your rom won't be the correct size and won't verify

• Advertisement

Well I had a look in mame and there is 1 bootleg a us one, so I looked up that image online and it doesn't look like the one I have. I Google wwf wrestlefest bootlegs and they all look the same as the one in mame not mine, so not sure what to do..

Well i was just told over on Jamma+ that the number is beside it on the board, i never thought of looking there i just assumed it was on the eprom. Still have no idea what to burn onto it though, not sure how to identify it in mame.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Literally everytime I see someone post up about chips I think of this....

Sorry....

Picked this up in an auction a while back, this brings back some memories as was in my local chipper for about a year bitd. set me back about €20 as a non worker from a operator in Spain
    16lda4n.jpg

So first time plugging in and the screens flickering and the palette looks wrong, exactly like my bobble bobble bootleg so im suspecting its possibly RAM related.
    Reading Aussiearcade he'd a board with the exact same issue
    i58wvp.jpg

So I took a chance and pulled the RAM at A3, socketed and replaced
    2vuybcw.jpg
    10pzvi8.jpg

And wahoo, working PCB
    2hea9uc.jpg

Hey, what did you do exactly? when you say pulled the ram?

Hey, what did you do exactly? when you say pulled the ram?
    Cut the legs and removed the old ram, cleaned up the board, installed socket and new ram I had a very similar issue with my bubble bobble bootleg which I posted a few pages back, pallet rams were dead although in the case of the bubble bobble piggy backing new ram fixed the problem so was obvious replacing would fix, on snow bros piggy backing made no difference

Cool, is there a way to identify bad ram?

Cool, is there a way to identify bad ram?

Using a logic probe and then checking against the schematics of the chip/board, on my GNG it was fairly obvious as the address lines were dead but this board looked fine so really just guessed based on past repair logs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Fabulous game that, love the music in it too. Great purchase CathalDublin. The pcb itself is no bigger that a couple of tv remotes, very cool. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Hello everyone, so Ive finally bought my very first Snes and im picking it up later but if you look at the ad you can see that it has pretty bad yellowing. http://www.adverts.ie/nintendo/snes-console-with-all-leads/6252840?notification=670cbca917da76914a070877937703df-1408888520#comment_34821844

I understand this is a pretty big problem with these consoles so I figure here is the best place to ask how I can remove it, if I can?

Also is €60 for the console w/ leads, controller and Ghouls n Ghosts a good deal?

Advertisement