Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Not the worst deal I've ever heard, plus GnG is fantastic.
    Next up though has to be Super Mario World.
    If you can get it cheap pick up Mario All stars with Super Mario World, all in one cart.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Re my WWF Wrestlefest Boot

Ok ive managed to figure this out finally, i think!

I picked the right eeprom in the software, ran it through http://romident.coinopflorida.com/uploadrom.php

and this is the result

Web based Rom Ident v0.3
    This is work in progress, if your have any questions, comments suggests, shoot me a PM/Email

Mame romset information (if in mame)
    game maws link desc rom name
    wwfwfestb wwfwfestb WWF WrestleFest (US bootleg) 4

Other information useful about this file:
    CRC32B 520ef575
    CRC32 576c7b72
    SHA1 99a5e9b94e9234851c6b504d58939ad84e0d6589
    FLUKE SIG 686C
    CHECKSUM C51D

So looks like its the US Bootleg i have?

Whats the next step i should do? I know the missing graphics im getting on screen might have nothing to do with this one, but should i write over it with the roms from mame anyways? Just for practice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

If its found and verfied the ROM is OK, you can replace the mame rom file within the original mame game zip file and play it, but if its found its not at fault,
    have you a photo of the graphic glitches?
    I've been lucky in that my bobble bobble and my snow bros were both ram and rom issues both of which I had to hand from previous repairs.

Dont have a photo here at the minute, im not home. basically it started out very yellow on screen, really bright. i increased the voltage and it cleared up to slightly white.

But, the wrestlers are missing from screen during the game and the highlight square that is around characters when you are selecting them is also missing.

I can get a photo when im home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Anybody willing to solder new pins onto a PC motherboard for me?

The lovely lads that helped me bring the arcade bartop back from Wexford let the back door fall off the unit when they were transporting it (I asked them not to but they did it anyway).

The power button is on the back door... queue the cable getting yanked from the motherboard and taking a pin with it.

Pain in the balls to turn it on at all now.

• Advertisement

Photo and where are you based, I'm in Dublin 11, if you are close by no problem

Photo and where are you based, I'm in Dublin 11, if you are close by no problem

Co. Dublin, Monkstown. :-/

Basically the pin on the board has bent and snapped off. It's one of the pins for the 'power' input on the board.

If I'm too far out for you then don't worry about it.

I'll repay you in coffee and retro games? :)

That's a fair trek from me unfortunately, I'm sure anyone handy with a soldering iron could help you out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Assuming you've the standard Intel 9 pin front panel header..

Exactly what Pin for the power switch got pulled out, Pin 6 or Pin 8 ?

Pin 8 is connected to GND, so any GND point on the motherboard or power supply will do.
    If its Pin 6 you'll need to replace it alright.

Assuming you've the standard Intel 9 pin front panel header..

Exactly what Pin for the power switch got pulled out, Pin 6 or Pin 8 ?

Pin 8 is connected to GND, so any GND point on the motherboard or power supply will do.
    If its Pin 6 you'll need to replace it alright.

Erm...

I have no idea off of the top of my head to be honest with you. So if it's ground could I technically pull the connector out of the wire and attach it to GND from a power molex for instance?

Would that be enough to send the right signal (or whatever) to pin 6? (If it is indeed pin 8 that's the problem).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Doge

Steve SI wrote: »
    barney.gif

Windows 8.1 is actually fantastic from my experience of using it in college, and the various lecturers that were using it.

Its much faster than windows 7 and is actually very stable.

Of course, its all depenendent on how good your manufactuers drivers are for your hardware, bad drivers = bad stability.

I was certainly surprised at how well it ran, i wouldnt touch Windows 8.0 though.

fp_header.jpg

Ya you just need to momentarily connect Pin 6 to GND for the the PC to start booting. Connecting to GND on the molex connector should work fine.

MrVestek wrote: »
    Erm...

I have no idea off of the top of my head to be honest with you. So if it's ground could I technically pull the connector out of the wire and attach it to GND from a power molex for instance?

Would that be enough to send the right signal (or whatever) to pin 6? (If it is indeed pin 8 that's the problem).

Get the manual for your motherboard and it will show you the Pinout of the 9pin connector.

fp_header.jpg

Ya you just need to momentarily connect Pin 6 to GND for the the PC to start booting. Connecting to GND on the molex connector should work fine.

Going by that it's pin 8 that has snapped off.

D'oh!

MrVestek wrote: »
    Going by that it's pin 8 that has snapped off.

D'oh!

The pinouts can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer so I'd RTFM just in case.

They usually have white text written on the motherboard itself, next to the pins indicating what each set of pins are used for....

df08a2ce_pins.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Doge wrote: »
    Windows 8.1 is actually fantastic from my experience of using it in college, and the various lecturers that were using it.

Its much faster than windows 7 and is actually very stable.

Of course, its all depenendent on how good your manufactuers drivers are for your hardware, bad drivers = bad stability.

I was certainly surprised at how well it ran, i wouldnt touch Windows 8.0 though.

I’ve used it as well, it sucks if you want to get any real work done(IMHO of course). It’s ok for the basics, but I dislike the whole interface and think it’s more suited to a tablet than a proper computer. But each to their own and if someone is happy with it and it does what the need then who cares what others think.

I cant stand windows 8, metro is so cumbersome to use (note I only use windows for business/work), It's like they tried to make Windows for children, I'm glad we're still on 7 in work as wouldn't fancy supporting it.
    Metro on Server 2012, a ****ing nightmare if you have to remote onto it, who's genius idea was that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I cant stand windows 8, metro is so cumbersome to use (note I only use windows for business/work), It's like they tried to make Windows for children, I'm glad we're still on 7 in work as wouldn't fancy supporting it.
    Metro on Server 2012, a ****ing nightmare if you have to remote onto it, who's genius idea was that?

Yeah, we have a not very nice name for it in work that I can't really post here :)

Jaysus, I didn't know that! :eek:

Just goes to show how big a joke microsoft are as Company! :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've gone cross eyed with all this server talk.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Steve SI wrote: »
    I’ve used it as well, it sucks if you want to get any real work done(IMHO of course). It’s ok for the basics, but I dislike the whole interface and think it’s more suited to a tablet than a proper computer. But each to their own and if someone is happy with it and it does what the need then who cares what others think.

I find it a bit of a pain when I'm coding as well. The tiles it boots into first are just a mess and it was nearly unusable until I hacked in a start menu in. It's a lot better since they reintroduced that. I find a lot of the native apps useless and horrible to use when multitasking. the way the likes of Skype, media player or the photo viewer take over the whole screen and won't minimize like normal applications is really annoying.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    the way the likes of Skype, media player or the photo viewer take over the whole screen and won't minimize like normal applications is really annoying.
    That has to be the most annoying thing in the world, along with the trying to find the top corner menu in a server 2012 remote window although I believe that's done away with in 2012 r2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,111 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

o1s1n wrote: »
    My cat's breath smells like cat food.

Stop kissing your cat.

The first time we messed around with Server 2012 in here in the VMWare lab (before the proper roll out to new production servers) my first thought was...

...Metro... on a server... what... WHAT THE F**KING WHAT?!

It's hilarious in a way, they moved mostly everything around too just to be awkward.

Ohh and some of our servers have managed to install the Windows Store by themselves even though that's technically not supposed to be possible on a server. The servers don't suppose Microsoft Live accounts the way the consumer counterpart does so you can't even log in to the store to download extra apps... not that you'd want to anyway.

Makes absolutely no bloody sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I've gone cross eyed with all this server talk.

Don't worry, they are only talking about Windows servers - much easier on the brain than *nix servers

Hey can anyone recommend a good soldering iron\station i only have a cheap one and am looking to get something decent.

If its just an Iron you can't go wrong with an Antex CS18 or xs25, I find the 25w too hot if you are using it to de-solder components, its very easy to burn the traces off the board, maybe the cs-18 might be the best all rounder.
    I've been looking at the aoyue stations which have the hot air gun with them, they are suppose to be very good for a budget station.

Considering i havent soldered a thing successfully in my life, but trying to get into it a bit now, do you think i should start off and just get that CS18 or would i be better off going out and getting the lot now.. or would i just end up wrecking that one at the start haha..

is this the type of one you are talking about?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/AOYUE-Int906-SMD-Rework-Station-Hot-Air-Soldering-Station-Soldering-Iron-/331215305747?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d1df87c13

• Advertisement

keithgeo wrote: »
    Considering i havent soldered a thing successfully in my life, but trying to get into it a bit now, do you think i should start off and just get that CS18 or would i be better off going out and getting the lot now.. or would i just end up wrecking that one at the start haha..

is this the type of one you are talking about?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/AOYUE-Int906-SMD-Rework-Station-Hot-Air-Soldering-Station-Soldering-Iron-/331215305747?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d1df87c13
    That's the one, I cant comment on it as I haven't used it personally, I've just read reviews.
    I can say that the Antex Irons are easy to use though and an excellent iron to learn with.
    I think they retail at about €25-€35

Advertisement