Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

So thought I blew up my arcade machine during the week, nothing from he monitor. bit of googling and eventually replaced the 4A fuse on the board just after the AC input.
    Ta da back in business.
    Still a bit dark but got it rotated as well.
    And replaced the broken connector on the neck.

Gonna do the CP on Monday.
    Big files attached thanks to iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

Did the mmonkey mod for a gameboy . I swapped it with a friend recently for a surfboard fin I wasn't using anymore.

Backlight screen with hexinverter and polarizing film.
    10689931_10152816742438276_2418355682461685595_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Looks great, always been meaning to do this mod too. What's it like in person?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

very easy mod and it's night and day. I never played the GB original since the GBA but now it's just as good. Still the slight BG screen lag but with the bright screen it's not even a problem. Think the screen's even brighter than the GBA.
    been looking to get back into chiptunes for a while so this is ideal (ie more portable than my amiga :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Picked this up yesterday, Its a slightly different revision to my two other bootlegs, it doesn't require an adapter and someone had wires soldered between the top and bottom board which were first to be removed before I even plugged it in.
    When I plugged it into my harness, it was causing my PSU to shutdown immediately.
    168d4qv.jpg
    2646q3d.jpg

A trip to the dishwasher and a good dry had it nice and clean but still causing my PSU to shutdown.
    15ey69f.jpg
    1zqaflx.jpg

When I inspected the solder joints on the board I noticed alot of poorly replaced components and bent legs which were shorting out off tracks. Also those 2 ram chips I replaced on my previous Bobble Bobble board were also socketed and had different rams in them than my other one
    4hd0yg.jpg

I fixed any bent legs/pins and managed to get it to boot to a pile or garbage, I then installed some new ram into those sockets and bingo, its now booting, graphics are a little blocky and colours are off but I think that's due to burnt traces on the rams that were socketed by someone else (someone with no soldering skills by the looks of it), so I'll have a go at fixing those over the weekend and recap the board too, there is also some other dodgy repairs I'd like to fix too.
    mb26mg.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Nice! I still have to fix the sound on my one.

See the way you mentioned bent pins under the board, if they are bent and not touching other pins is that ok or can that still cause issues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,111 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Fair play dude! Looks a lot better than the garbled mess I got :D

Once they not touching traces or other pins, a lot of them were touching traces on this board.
    The sound shouldn't be too difficult to fix, have you tried with a crystal earpiece to listen and check if there is sound going into the amp?
    o1s1n wrote: »
    Fair play dude! Looks a lot better than the garbled mess I got :D
    To be honest when I first looked at it and the fact it was tripping my PSU I wasn't going to bother with it at all.

Master of the Universe

When I plugged it into my cabs (and it powered up, just got a garbled mess), those extra cables connecting the boards were still attached and it didn't cause any issues with the PSU.

I wonder did removing them cause that particular issue and they were some kind of ugly workaround?

o1s1n wrote: »
    When I plugged it into my cabs (and it powered up, just got a garbled mess), those extra cables connecting the boards were still attached and it didn't cause any issues with the PSU.

I wonder did removing them cause that particular issue and they were some kind of ugly workaround?

I don't know, I didn't trust them cables anyway. My power supply seems to be very sensitive, the slightest fault on a board and the LED goes yellow and it shuts down, which might be a good thing.

• Advertisement

The sound shouldn't be too difficult to fix, have you tried with a crystal earpiece to listen and check if there is sound going into the amp?

Crystal Earpiece?? Whats that..

I bought a sound chip recommended by the lads on J+ an OP-Amp i think?

Ive to replace TL084C with a new one, i have it and all just havent chanced it yet, i might do some practice soldering first on a broken board. Ive a socket for it too for when i take it off. i piggy backed it but it didnt make a difference.

Here is the thread on it..

http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65024&KW=bubble&PN=1&title=bobble-bobble-boot-questions

keithgeo wrote: »
    Crystal Earpiece?? Whats that..

I bought a sound chip recommended by the lads on J+ an OP-Amp i think?

Ive to replace TL084C with a new one, i have it and all just havent chanced it yet, i might do some practice soldering first on a broken board. Ive a socket for it too for when i take it off. i piggy backed it but it didnt make a difference.

Here is the thread on it..

http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65024&KW=bubble&PN=1&title=bobble-bobble-boot-questions
    Its like headphones for old radios, they are like €2-3 on ebay and they can pickup the slightest audio wave, I've used one in the past to listen to whats going into the amp to troubleshoot the audio on a different board
    Piezoelectric_Earphone_L.jpg
    connect one end to ground and tip the other end off the audio input on the amp. A good Logic probe with buzzer will do a better job but RS one has no audio.
    Have you replaced the capacitors, are you missing any components, what do you hear through the speakers when you turn up and down the volume pot again?

Its like headphones for old radios, they are like €2-3 on ebay and they can pickup the slightest audio wave, I've used one in the past to listen to whats going into the amp to troubleshoot the audio on a different board
    Piezoelectric_Earphone_L.jpg
    connect one end to ground and tip the other end off the audio input on the amp. A good Logic probe with buzzer will do a better job but mine has no audio.
    Have you replaced the capacitors, are you missing any?

Grand thanks ill buy one of them.. no i havent done anything on it yet other than burn the reudx roms which fixed the graphics issues on it i had originally. I piggybacked that chip but it made no difference, im afraid ill wreck the board with my soldering so im going to have a practice at a broken board i have first. Plus ive been buying all the soldering stuff i need, flux, solder, braid etc.. ive pretty much soldered 3 things total, a gamegear cap kit that didnt work, a cap on another board, and the -5 wire on this jamma adapter.. thats my soldering history to date!

I assume you came across this thread?
    http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14120&title=bubble-bobble-repair-log-mostly-bootlegs
    I think I have a spare LM324N if you want to try piggy back it!

Yep in fact that guy is the guy on J+ Who pointed me in the right direction (I hope) thanks for the offer on the chip, i actually have a few of them i think, i bought a couple, they didnt arrive, seller sent more and then both arrived! he didnt want them back. Maybe i should try some of the others in case the one i tried was not working.. hmm..

I also have a few other boards to play around with.

Final fight, perfect except no sound.

Ikari Warriors original - untested, pulled it from a cab, needs a jamma adapter to test

Taito space invaders - untested, needs a jamma adapter to test too.

wrestlefest original - bad background graphics, have chips on the way i need for possible fix.

Carrier air wing - bad graphics, re burned the roms but all the colours are messed up still.

Blood Brothers original, was working with no sound, plugged it in the weekend to the supergun and garbled graphics. hoping its just the supergun doing this.

4 1 slot neo geo things that dont work

wrestlefest boot, no sound, messed up graphics all white.

Sega choplifter, Konami Ajax /Typhoon, Konama chequered flag all untested.

dead MK2 board i removed chips from to get my other one working.

So ive a lot to play with!

Ive a Sunsetriders too that had bad graphics that i fixed by replacing socketed roms and burning the files from mame onto them! was delighted with that one!

Always wanted Sunset Riders, Bubble Bobble, Super Pang, Wrestlefest and TMNT.. I bought the turtles pcb yesterday fully working!!

Have you got a super pang?
    I've a bootleg and get this strange flash across the screen when a bubble bursts that I don't get on mame, just wondering are all boards like that?

No i havent managed to get that one yet, its next on my list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Have you got a super pang?
    I've a bootleg and get this strange flash across the screen when a bubble bursts that I don't get on mame, just wondering are all boards like that?

Original board doesn't do that.

My god thats a lot of boards !! Great when you get one working id say, needle in a haystack.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I know I've looked for this before but I have misplaced them.
    I'm after the plans for the Egret 2/3/AWSD control panel, 2 player/6 buttons each, the standard 2 player CP.
    I have a guy who will kindly cut the metal to the right dimensions and fit the plates and fittings for the controllers and what not.
    So, if someone out there has these please link to them and get the work done in time for Chrimbo!!

• Advertisement

Got some drilling done on Silverline Control panel , maybe should have waited for the CP sticker to arrive first.
    Not bad for first attempt.

Master of the Universe

Anyone ever have an issue like this? I've a feeling it might be a dodgy RGB scart cable. Used to work fine though.

When I switch my original Xbox on, there's just sound, no picture (sound is going through a set of PC speakers)

if I switch it so that there are multiple signals coming over the same line (so say, Dreamcast and Xbox on the same line via a multi socket thing going into one scart socket) then I'll see both console pictures garbled together.

As soon as I switch the Dreamcast off the Xbox disappears. It's like the Xbox scart cable is missing something and the other console being on boosts the signal.

Especially annoying today as I went to give the Silent Scope rifle a go! :(

Master of the Universe

Bought another scart cable anyway (under a tenner delivered! :)) so we shall see.

My scart multibox thingy has a red light on the front which lights up when a signal comes through. When the xbox is selected, the red light is about 50% of it's usual brightness, odd.

Hope this new scart cable sorts it anyway, I'm itching to use this rifle. It's ridiculously big! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Does the XBOX work when directly connected to the SCART input on the TV ?

Master of the Universe

Nope! still no signal.

Only way I can get anything is if I connect it via a multi scart adapter, have another console connected too and press down both switches, sending two console signals via the same line in.

But even at that, the Xbox signal is a garbled rolling green mess in the background while the other console is 100% visible, just with noise from the xbox.

Those cheapo multi scart adapters leak voltage I believe so it might be something to do with that boosting the signal?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 misty37

Hi...does anyone know of a trustworthy & affordable person who can help me resurect my old jamma cabinet? AM in South East. Thanks :)

misty37 wrote: »
    Hi...does anyone know of a trustworthy & affordable person who can help me resurect my old jamma cabinet? AM in South East. Thanks :)

Depends whats wrong i guess.
    I sent my monitor board to Gunblade on the Jamma+ forums. Very reputable.
    And welcome to you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 misty37

Hi Ed,

Many thanks for the reply...think this might be a call out job though...if you can advise of anyone near Gorey id be grateful!

misty37 wrote: »
    Hi Ed,

Many thanks for the reply...think this might be a call out job though...if you can advise of anyone near Gorey id be grateful!

No one i know near Gorey although Courtown would have had lots of arcades so must be some knowledge nearby.

• Advertisement

Can you not track down the guy who took the old control panel?
    Have it a molex connector to remove or did you cut the loom to remove it?

Advertisement