Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Right, I need to do a bit of a service on my new crt.

So I need a deguassing wand and take off the case to give it a good clean with some compressed air. Check the caps aswell

Anything else Ill need to do to get me the best picture?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Doge

A guy called Tony in the Vectrex group managed to source brand spanking new CRT replacements for the Vectrex from Georgia. They ship worldwide apparently too!

d56DMrT.jpg

So heres what delayed the Zip Stik GET:

As you can see from the advert, its says its a "PC Joystick" and has a "vga connection".

http://www.adverts.ie/accessories/pc-joystick/4926503

I assumed the seller got it wrong and meant it had a regular DB9 connector which is the closest looking thing

to VGA.

So delivery day came, and i pulled it out of the box and this was at the end of the cable:

nDoNqAS.jpg

Arghh! A gameport connector for the PC!

The joystick was obviously modified by someone to be played on the PC.

So I decided I'd demodify the mod and make it useable!

Luckily I had a spare db9 cable from the last joystick I bought which was damaged.

The zip stik has very non standard wiring, the colour of the wires are different to the Atari standard,
    and the GNDs of the microswitches are not daisy changed.
    There was wires going from the GND terminals of the joystick microswitches to the positives of other microswitches.! Wtf

Also there was resistors and capacitors between the GND and positive terminal of them too!

So being quite confused I decided to desolder all the wires and wire it myself using this standard schematic:

atari_stick.gif

Something still wasn't right, it was acting as if the one direction was held down or closed even though the switch wasn't been pushed.

So i decided to snip off the resistors and capacitors and voila, everything was working as it should!

And here's the finished result:

GfAcc3n.jpg

The extra grey connector is for use with a Spectrum without the need for a special adapter.

So in the end I got to learn a lot about joystick wiring and repair!

Would anyone here be kind enough to send me a spare DB9 cable from a broken mega drive, commodore, atari etc... controller?

I have a cool little mod planned for use with the C64. :cool:

I'm going to avoid using the ones from these new chinese replicas as you would almost break the port trying to force the cable in!....

sku_30530_2.jpg

They're really bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

sugarman wrote: »
    Anyone have experience with the PS2/Network adapter?

Having serious trouble with my Fat PS2 this evening and its driving me insane.

I have FreeMcBoot installed on a Mem card and a Network adapter with an 80GB drive in the bay.

All was working perfect last time I used it before Xmas. I go to rip some new games today when I boot up HDLoader to be greeted with "Hardware Error" "Could not detect hard disk".

I can hear the drive bootup upon starting HDLoader, and the Network adapter registers as connected on my laptop. So I dont think its that. Well, I hope not!:(

I tried 2 different drives in it that I have setup correctly and have been using the past number of years, and theyre both the same.

On the root of the drives in the explorer I cant see anything.

Tried the obviously of cleaning the ports and making sure everythings nice and tight.

Any ideas?

From what I remember of my PS2 'Test' console with its HDD/LAN Adapter, you need to format the drive before you can do anything. Done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I eventually got around to finalising how that USB Host Adapter will sit inside my Jap RGB'd 3DO FZ-1.

The ways its designed you are supposed to have a usb drive sticking out the front.

Ugly as fook!!

AJ3jPa2.jpg
    AUPi3t.jpg
    rXsuRo.jpg

So I moved it back further inside the case(thanks Sugru :)) as I don't need to access the USB very often. I think it looks a lot better and no nasty USB port on the front of the case.

PLg8dJ4.jpg

OPzXq0O.jpg

Y2wn28d.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Looks better alright... but is that USB interface any good ? Any problems with FMV streaming off it or anything like that ?

Looks better alright... but is that USB interface any good ? Any problems with FMV streaming off it or anything like that ?

No probs with loading anything so far and I've played a lot on it. FMV, CDDA and data seems perfect.

Here it is running the super awesome amazing 3DO version of FIFA :)

Edit:

And "Starblade" and "The Need for Speed"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That looks incredible Steve.
    So sorry I didn't pick one up.
    I believe they were limited in number, those mods?

Does seem rather spiffing alright !! Would have liked one myself too..

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    That looks incredible Steve.
    So sorry I didn't pick one up.
    I believe they were limited in number, those mods?

It is very nice actually. I think he made about 8-10 of these for the FZ-1 and more for the FZ-10(and a good amount of them for the Dreamcast).
    I managed to nab 2 for the FZ-1 and 1 for the DC.

I was actually talking to him yesterday over email, so he hasn't vanished and I can ask if he has more as I know he can be very hard to track down

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

What was the damage for the device for the 3DO?
    I'm lucky enough to own everything I want for the console but I suppose the FZ1 drive will eventually pack it in and there has to be some way to keep enjoying that 3DO gaming goodness.

What was the damage for the device for the 3DO?
    I'm lucky enough to own everything I want for the console but I suppose the FZ1 drive will eventually pack it in and there has to be some way to keep enjoying that 3DO gaming goodness.

I paid 165 Euro for 1 device inc shipping from Kazakhstan.
    Was trying to get one for over a year from him. Had to pay his friend in Moscow and he forwarded the payment to Kazakhstan and then he shipped it to me.
    Totally worth it though :)

Decided to do something with the C64 case I modded a while back as I have a little free time on my hands for once. I installed a better keyboard in it(old one was missing a key) and will be putting a Raspberry Pi 2 in there and hooking it up to the original C64 keyboard using the Keyrah V2(so i can actually use old joysticks as well).

I'm moving most of the rpi connections to the back of the case using various couplers and will probably do something about the GPIO connections as well.
    I've got all the main parts and am just waiting on the Keyrah to arrive from Germany.

2015-02-19%20at%2010.51.00sml.jpg2015-02-19%20at%2023.42.53sml.jpg

keyrahv2.jpg

Edit:
    And yes, there are some extra layers of purpleness, as it always needs more purpleness :0)

Steve you do some lovely stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Deadly, what price should one be paying for a broken breadbin C64, been looking for one for ages now but the postage on the ones currently listed on ebay is extortionate

Steve you do some lovely stuff

Some would say very strange stuff :0)
    Deadly, what price should one be paying for a broken breadbin C64, been looking for one for ages now but the postage on the ones currently listed on ebay is extortionate

I'm not really sure but any I've seen are overpriced before even the postage. I actually picked up a couple from a guy in Bray a few years back as he had a load of retro computers he was moving on at the time.

Steve SI wrote: »
    I paid 165 Euro for 1 device inc shipping from Kazakhstan.
    Was trying to get one for over a year from him. Had to pay his friend in Moscow and he forwarded the payment to Kazakhstan and then he shipped it to me.
    Totally worth it though :)

Maybe not this half of 2015 but I'd definitely want one of these contraptions.
    Very cool indeed.

• Advertisement

Few more bits arrived this morning for the C64 mod.
    I got a nice little adapter to convert the micro sd connector on the Raspberry Pi to an external full size SD card connection to make life a bit easier(and allow for a dual boot setup in the future with another little mod).

It's a cable nightmare at the moment, but I have a slim and short HDMI cable on the way so that should help.
    I'll be changing the power connector so there will be an external female micro usb port to power everything. Still waiting on some small bits to arrive and also the Keyrah.

2015-02-20%20at%2016.03.11%20(Custom).jpg

2015-02-20%20at%2016.04.31%20(Custom).jpg

Just keep it closed an it'll look fine. Don't forget to install a decent Amstrad emulator - that'll confuse them :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Does it still play C64 games? :P

Just keep it closed an it'll look fine. Don't forget to install a decent Amstrad emulator - that'll confuse them :)

It shall be done :)
    Andrew76 wrote: »
    Does it still play C64 games? :P

Sure, using the RPi Vice emulator :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

It shall be done :)

Sure, using the RPi Vice emulator :)

Is that the RPi 2 or your old B+?

Also got Hyperspin working, easy peasy, thanks for the suggestion!

eddhorse wrote: »
    Is that the RPi 2 or your old B+?

Also got Hyperspin working, easy peasy, thanks for the suggestion!

It's a RPi 2, might as well do it right :)

Good stuff on the hyperspin.

It's a RPi 2, might as well do it right :)

Good stuff on the hyperspin.

Come on guys, I need to know how Cave shooters perform on this thing, before I go and spend money on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Come on guys, I need to know how Cave shooters perform on this thing, before I go and spend money on it!

Ciderman and his daily request

I've two versions of MAME on it. MAME4all and advancedmame.
    Both use a very old romset and don't have many of the cave shooters. Dodonpachi runs perfect if that helps :)

• Advertisement

eddhorse wrote: »
    Ciderman and his daily request

:(

Advertisement