Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

BGOllie wrote: »
    found this crusty BG a while back and gave it the Last Bandit's Jerome Russel B Blonde job, a new cover, and Backlit mod + hex inverter for good measure :)

14291777_10154510478988276_109418237956400179_n.jpg?oh=e5bf1ec44a15cfb306a60c20f589cf98&oe=5839AFF4

Looks beautiful <3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

soooo.
    I got a bootleg board for arkanoid a while back, thinking it would make do for a replacement while I can learn the ropes of board fixing and logic probes and whatnot.
    I made a small jamma adapter for the board (it's non jamma) and tried it on a supergun, plugged into my VG0080 philips monitor (a commodore 1048 monitor in a dark New Media Systems shell) . all is fine, board works fine etc...

I tried to plug it into my arcade monitor and the image comes up like this.

any idea what could be causing this. The monitor is a Samsung aA48KRD82X02 . When I plug the defective board, the display remains stable, however the bootleg board appears all out of sync.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,103 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Have you tried playing with the sync pots on the monitor chassis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Sync looks ok to me, but there's a lot of noise on the signals. Check all the ground connections and that the video cables are running over the HT leads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭geotrig

Does look like a dodgy ground ,ones that's connected but just not that greatly hows the wiring in general? Your voltages shouldn't be jumping either ,only difference should be under load and no load.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Do other jamma boards work ok?
    Possible interference from step down transformer?

turns out the video ground ins't grounded on the bootleg . that's one problem solved :)

good man ollie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Doge

Bootleg Guy Ollie! :D

found out this weekend , someone in jammaplus then suggested it might be the case. feels good to win one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Well done Ollie !!

Anyone want an old oscilloscope?
    Seems to work.
    It only goes to 20mhz.
    It's old

Anyone want an old oscilloscope?
    Seems to work.
    It only goes to 20mhz.
    It's old

Yes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Too slow :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,103 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yes :)

I was going to nab it but then thought you'd probably put it to far better use :D

Well actually being thinking about it, I already have 3 'scopes so don't need another so was going to take this one and clean it up give it a quick calibration and release it back into the wild - but I'm happy to let someone else take it directly from smellyfinger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

So I’ve been messing around with Laser engraving and cutting lately and have a fairly weak addon for one of the 3D printers that can do the basic engraving and very limited cutting.
    I bit the bullet and ordered a proper 40w CO2 laser cutter the other day.

I think we have a one or two people here who have some experience with laser cutting. So my question is, is it really as dangerous to engrave ABS plastic as some people say, or is it ok if I have the proper fume extractor and mask and eye wear?
    If I plan on engraving any consoles, its 99 percent going to be ABS, which is why I ask.

The fumes are pure cancer to be honest,
    But no probs if you can vent them straight out.
    The one I have uses a 2 stage filter but the filers are 1000 to replace the pair.

The one I "have" (works) is also a 40w c02
    Loads of stuff to make!

Good buy!

The fumes are pure cancer to be honest,
    But no probs if you can vent them straight out.
    The one I have uses a 2 stage filter but the filers are 1000 to replace the pair.

The one I "have" (works) is also a 40w c02
    Loads of stuff to make!

Good buy!

Yeah, the fan/extractor on it is meant to be rubbish. But I'm already 3D printing some better parts to go on it that will use a better server fan to deal with the air flow.

It doesn't come with one of those metal honeycomb things that sits under the cutting area, so I'll need that it seems to dissipate the heat or something (never used a CO2 laser before so am trying to get up to speed before it arrives next week).

Ours doesnt have honey comb either.
    just parallel bars but the top go into a point.
    you can get issues with reflections making the under side of your stock.

got a link to the one you got?

• Advertisement

Ours doesnt have honey comb either.
    just parallel bars but the top go into a point.
    you can get issues with reflections making the under side of your stock.

got a link to the one you got?

No link, but its one of the newer K40 Laser cutters (the ones with digital displays for power and water temps).

My one is a newer version of the below cutter:
    LaserAd.jpg

They're not the highest of high end things, but with a few mods and better laser control board I reckon it'll be pretty good (and a better air extractor system of course).

nice,
    be interesting to see your review.
    coming from china?

nice,
    be interesting to see your review.
    coming from china?

I can guess my review from the info I've gathered online about them. I'll give it a 4-5 out of 10 before mods and probably a 7-8 out of 10 once I replace all the crappy parts.
    It's coming from the UK or Germany, not sure yet as it depends on what stock is in what warehouse etc. They have guaranteed it is not coming from China, but we will see.

Cosmetically it'll be getting a paint job to make it a bit more "me" and a little less industrial. Perhaps pearl pink/purple :)

Laser Cutter already in Belfast, so came from the UK and not China.

Woohoo!! no import duty :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

As long as there isn't a post in this forum biology on the topic "How to reattach a severed finger tip"

Didn't get home until late this evening, but this arrived earlier so i had to at least do a test run :)

Bit of a learning curve, but I had it engraving a scrap of wood within an hour. Have an order of Acrylic and cutting foam to play with that will be here in a couple of days (I hope).

qJoH8Zs.jpg

gA5MKMh.jpg

4N8hRiR.jpg

vgSgI7D.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

You literally always have the cool fun tech to play with everytime I check boards.. Stop making me jelly. :[

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Thats pretty cool

Still getting the hang of all the different settings and trying to find the best software. Sometimes I use to much power, too little power, to slow, to fast, wrong graphics choice, but it's fun learning something different.

neamOpZ.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, what you're really saying is... You're Batman...
    We always wondering where you got those wonderful toys, obviously you print them at home!
    Next project...
    A full size Batmobile!
    Steve's note to self: get more black and yellow!

Advertisement