Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Comments

Slim unfortunately and I also want a crack off installing a ps2 chip:D

The laser is fine now but installing a modchip apparently puts serious pressure on the V12 ps2, sending too much voltage to the laser and frying it.
    What I'm looking for is the most reliable way to reduce the voltage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Inviere

With the cost of original/phat PS2's, the best option is to pick one up & get the Network Adapter for it (buy an SATA one). Bye bye laser hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,099 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If only there was a quick way of FTPing over via a network cable. Lazyness prevents me removing the HDD and connecting it up to an IDE adapter.

o1s1n wrote: »
    If only there was a quick way of FTPing over via a network cable. Lazyness prevents me removing the HDD and connecting it up to an IDE adapter.

The PS2 is USB 1.0 I think, so pretty terrible in terms of transfer speed. You can get those network adapters that are modded/fitted for SATA. A pain to be sure to remove, dock, transfer, remove, refit, and play...but certainly better than the good old days of having to connect it up to a pc via on board IDE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I've a 500GB in my SATA PS2 adapter, ok so set aside an hour or so to load it up but then you're done for a long time !!

Master of the Universe

Yeah if my memory serves me correctly I've somewhere between a 120-250gb one in mine. Was more a case of grabbing a spare IDE HDD I had lying about the house and lashing it in to get it working.

Actually in a similar vein, I've a PS3 dev kit sitting there with two hot swappable HDDs in it too that I need to also figure out how to fill up with games!

Master of the Universe

Any of you dudes read up on the dangers of Everdrives in consoles?

http://db-electronics.ca/2017/07/05/the-dangers-of-3-3v-flash-in-retro-consoles/

TLDR, a lot of them seem to use 3.3v flash drawing from a 5v console bus, which leads to overheating components.

I've a very old Everdrive, I think it was one of the first line produced. Might look into upgrading to an X5 as apparently that solves the problem.

That link has a description of each Everdrive and whether it's safe to use or not. Turbo Everdrive looks good, thank ****!

I was reading a thread on sega 16 about that a few days ago. It sounds bad but I don't think I've ever heard someone complain their console went kaput after using an everdrive, even the Chinese clones

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Yeah I found a link to that on Sega-16 too when looking to see if there were any updates on Watermelon's new brawler (completely forgot it existed!). Apparently some copies of Pier Solar have the same issue with voltage.

Master of the Universe

Are you getting a black picture from the console or a black screen with no picture at all?

Picture but completely black screen is 99% of the time dirty cart connectors. Bathe the feck out of that connector in isopropyl :D

If it's no picture then the main thing that goes (actually the only component I've really seen break) is the AV connector breaking away from the PCB on the back.

Yeah I found a link to that on Sega-16 too when looking to see if there were any updates on Watermelon's new brawler (completely forgot it existed!). Apparently some copies of Pier Solar have the same issue with voltage.

I have a feeling Paprium is gonna come out the same week as the new Tool album...

Master of the Universe

Interesting thread here with your issue.

http://bgamods.com/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=5005&sid=bbe5bea1f02788bc877fce4b92de11e2&start=20

guy with a MD2 V1.8 PAL exhibiting the same problems. Perfect looking board, issue was just a bit of corrosion that he cleared out.

Good luck with the fix :) are you considering swapping chips between consoles to figure out if any are borked? If so take some snaps!

Hope you sort it sugarman. Nothing worse than losing a beloved Mega Drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Awaiting on someone (maybe Mr.Everdrive) to make a budget adapter to avoid the noted issues - don't see any threads about this on http://krikzz.com/forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Doge

Oh but you can! I managed to get it working over my network, over WiFi even.
    Designated the ps2 a permanent IP address in DHCP management in my router.

If you want I can boot up the PS2 tomorrow and see what version of the ftp app I have that runs on the PS2. There’s a lot of different versions that have been modified by 3rd parties, including the software that runs on windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Doge

hdl_dump_gui is the Windows client sortware and hdld_svr.elf is the ftp server executable that runs on the PS2.

You might be better off getting a copy from me as some versions seem to be incompatible with others.

Took me a while to get it working now that I think of it.

sugarman wrote: »
    Are the transfer speeds not extremely slow? I tried it awhile ago and it was taking 40mins odd to copy over a single game connected directly into the laptop.

Thought I remember reading the same. The cheap sata connector kit linked to seems the way to go. As said also, fill a big hdd with the required files and it won’t need to be touched again very often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Awaiting on someone (maybe Mr.Everdrive) to make a budget adapter to avoid the noted issues - don't see any threads about this on http://krikzz.com/forum

Seems a reply was lost on the forum - linky from the Archive.org

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Connected up my PS3 DECR-1000A dev kit this evening (finally got a HDMI to SDI converter!) and can't get any image out of it :(

It has three video outputs, HDMI, VGA and a PS1/2 style AV connector, nothing from any of them.

Strange thing is it's just been in storage for the last year, before that I had it running on a projector fine.

Apparently they are symptoms of RSX failure? I dont understand how that could have happened as it hasn't been switched on for more than 20 minutes in the last two years.

Connected up my PS3 DECR-1000A dev kit this evening (finally got a HDMI to SDI converter!) and can't get any image out of it :(

It has three video outputs, HDMI, VGA and a PS1/2 style AV connector, nothing from any of them.

Strange thing is it's just been in storage for the last year, before that I had it running on a projector fine.

Apparently they are symptoms of RSX failure? I dont understand how that could have happened as it hasn't been switched on for more than 20 minutes in the last two years.

I vaguely remember some 'reset' procedure that has to be done when switching display types on a PS3.

Edit - yep, try this (not sure it applies to non retail consoles but worth a bash) - https://zeusville.wordpress.com/2010/12/26/reset-hdmi-output-on-ps3/

Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »
    I vaguely remember some 'reset' procedure that has to be done when switching display types on a PS3.

Edit - yep, try this (not sure it applies to non retail consoles but worth a bash) - https://zeusville.wordpress.com/2010/12/26/reset-hdmi-output-on-ps3/

Yeah I had my hopes dashed to pieces when I read that last night, thought it would work but no joy unfortunately!

I may get another display just to see if maybe it just doesn't like trying to connect via a SDI interface. (When it worked it was running on a projector via straight up HDMI)

Yeah I had my hopes dashed to pieces when I read that last night, thought it would work but no joy unfortunately!

I may get another display just to see if maybe it just doesn't like trying to connect via a SDI interface. (When it worked it was running on a projector via straight up HDMI)

Worst case scenario have a look around & see if anywhere is offering a reballing service (not a reflow). It's a PS3 that's worth saving.

Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »
    Worst case scenario have a look around & see if anywhere is offering a reballing service (not a reflow). It's a PS3 that's worth saving.

Yeah if it's not just a monitor issue I'll whip out the board the RSX chip is on and send it off somewhere to be reballed. Luckily these units were built more like PCs so it looks to be all fairly modular.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Keithchap

Hey All,

I have an arcade machine that is on the fritz, screen froze one day in the middle of a game, now when I turn it on the screen is blank, there is a momentary blip but that's it. Power supply is fine as the machine is running.

Previously one of the joysticks was a bit sticky also so would be great to get that fixed too.

Does anyone here do this type of work or can you recommend someone?

Thanks for your help.

Master of the Universe

When you say the screen froze, did it keep a solid picture when it happened? (so it was more an issue with the game freezing than the monitor?)

That's an important distinction as it's the difference between an easy fix (your game/mame pc or whatever you had in it) versus the monitor being broken. (which if it's a CRT requires a bit more to get going again)

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Keithchap

When you say the screen froze, did it keep a solid picture when it happened? (so it was more an issue with the game freezing than the monitor?)

That's an important distinction as it's the difference between an easy fix (your game/mame pc or whatever you had in it) versus the monitor being broken. (which if it's a CRT requires a bit more to get going again)

Hey,

Thanks for your reply. Yeh the game screen froze and it's a CRT. It probs does mean something wrong with the game/machine. The sound stopped as well. You just get nothing now when you turn it on except for the sound of it running and a brief blip on the screen. It's running an old version on Windows, 98 I think.

Master of the Universe

Keithchap wrote: »
    Hey,

Thanks for your reply. Yeh the game screen froze and it's a CRT. It probs does mean something wrong with the game/machine. The sound stopped as well. You just get nothing now when you turn it on except for the sound of it running and a brief blip on the screen. It's running an old version on Windows, 98 I think.

Any chance you can open it up and take a photo?

If it's a real arcade machine then to test it, all you've to do is connect a working game up to the jamma harness, which is easy peasy stuff and would take two seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Sounds like your multigame might have died, although you metion its windows 98, is it one of those 2500 in one games like this?
    Jamma-Multi-Game-2019-In-1-Game.jpg
    If you do test out another Jamma game board please check the 5v and 12v on the the power supply with a multimeter before plugging in a good board and make sure they are not too high. And obviously make sure the machine is unplugged when swapping the board out.

Advertisement