Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Inviere

Has anyone any experience with running a crt screen from a raspberry pi via rgb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

Dc6fKsGWkAAN4gj.jpg

got a couple of these from Mitch recently & just finished fixing the first one.

Original roms (those goldenish 2716 eproms) had broken legs. Repaired a few so I could read them and find out what the game was :
    Kamikaze III , a galaxian bootleg. I then replaced them all with 2732 instead

Had to replace most of the IC on the address bus on columns 6&7 : all buffers were out, and ls138 on column 7 as there was a good bit of corrosion on the legs and traces.

Board then was stuck on test, displaying the boot and seemingly resetting. However the reset line was high at all times. I checked the voltages and the board was barely getting 4.2v .

So I did the DC mod (removed filter caps, resistors, transistor and voltage regulator and remiving & bridging the diodes) . Board then booted fine.

There was still some issues.

1 Sound was out - ended up being an adapter issue. These board output sound in different pinout than the standard galaxian setup.

Last issue remaining was the diving sprites and explosions were displayed on the top of the screen. I had a quick check at the Galaxian repair guide pdf and it mentioned two ls163 at 4t and 5t. Checked and one of them had a floating pin. Replaced it (ended up replacing both actually) and the board works fine now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭eric90000

Lovely little Phillips CRT BGOllie. That arcade board running in TATE mode?

On the subject of CRT's actually I've been wanting to pick one up lately (currently using OSSC). Any idea where I'd source a 4:3 Sony Trinitron CRT? Or anyone here selling one?

mmm... what's TATE mode ?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭eric90000

BGOllie wrote: »
    mmm... what's TATE mode ?

I think it's Japanese for vertical?! I've always seen people refer to sideways CRT's as TATE. Maybe I'm wrong lol :pac:

• Advertisement

ah ok. think we just called them vertical games :) Never heard TATE before (well certainly not back then), can't help but think it's one of those after the facts expression like "chip tune" or "pixel art" people seem to use now . At least I learned something new today :D
    Most arcade games of that era were vertical games, but it wasn't a mode you could select really, that's just how games operated.

edit:
    so I did look it up an it seems to simply mean "vertical" in japanese :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,099 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Here you go;

”Tate” is a shortened form of the Japanese verb “tateru,” which means “to stand.” Pronounced “tah-teh,” though the common mispronunciation of “tayte” has gained semi-acceptance. Also commonly spelled with all capital letters (“TATE”), though it is not an acronym.

Basically the word for having monitors rotated in 3:4 rather than 4:3.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Every day is a school day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

o1s1n wrote: »
    Here you go;

”Tate” is a shortened form of the Japanese verb “tateru,” which means “to stand.” Pronounced “tah-teh,” though the common mispronunciation of “tayte” has gained semi-acceptance. Also commonly spelled with all capital letters (“TATE”), though it is not an acronym.

Basically the word for having monitors rotated in 3:4 rather than 4:3.
    and I always just thought it was short for rotate:eek:

Master of the Universe

and I always just thought it was short for rotate:eek:

Me too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Simple mod this evening to get back into the swing of things - modding a GBA with a backlit screen :)

Noticed a few things not mentioned in the guides though:

On the back of the adapter cable in a little support pad for the connector- its conductive so should be covered with a piece of tape.

The front metal surround of the new LCD can be removed without the whole screen falling apart, removing this allows for a better fit.

41536476925_5cd74fbfb8_c.jpg

41536477715_9e0996d8d0_c.jpg

Really transforms the console and well worth doing !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,036 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Simple mod this evening to get back into the swing of things - modding a GBA with a backlit screen :)

On the back of the adapter cable in a little support pad for the connector- its conductive so should be covered with a piece of tape.

The front metal surround of the new LCD can be removed without the whole screen falling apart, removing this allows for a better fit.

Much soldering involved? I've thought more than once about doing this, especially since my son cracked my gameboy micro screen but lack the skill/confidence to do it.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I have two screens on the slow boat to do the same. :)

Edit : that looks great by the way

Just 1 wire to solder, most of the work is trimming the plastic to get the screen to fit nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Have at least 3 GBAs that need doing. Might do a full mod and spray one a nice colour. It's currently a lovely mix of cream and brown :S

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Wow, if you're back in business, I've a Veccy and a Turbo Express that need some lovin!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,270 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Tried to open the Dreamcast, finally, but the screws are on too tight and I only have those really skinny silver coloured screwdrivers that you can't grip.

I wonder if the local Woodies would have anything that small with a proper handle on it? Really need to clean the rail.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Wow, if you're back in business, I've a Veccy and a Turbo Express that need some lovin!

No-boder, as they say around my way..

41536476925_5cd74fbfb8_c.jpg

41536477715_9e0996d8d0_c.jpg

looks the business, definitely picking up one of those

Do you have a link to the screen you purchased?

• Advertisement

Master of the Universe

For those who are too lazy to crack a GBA open (!), there are a few sellers selling modded versions of these on ebay.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    For those who are too lazy to crack a GBA open (!), there are a few sellers selling modded versions of these on ebay.

:pac:

I bought mine a good few years ago now, didn't have the patience nor skills to do the mod myself. It makes the GBA usable again tbh.

Master of the Universe

Yeah I always meant to buy one of them after you got yours. As a console it really is lovely looking and nice to hold. That mod turns it into the handheld it should have always been.

I remember when a mate first got one when they came out along with a Tony Hawk game, the pair of us had to huddle under a fluorescent light to see anything.

Yeah the monochrome is difficult viewing now, probably why my eyesight is so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,510 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Tried to open the Dreamcast, finally, but the screws are on too tight and I only have those really skinny silver coloured screwdrivers that you can't grip.

they should have a hole at the top that you stick another driver through to give you more leverage

I see the GDEMU has been cloned, surprised its taken so long given the demand and waiting list for them, hardware seems the same, software probably not so much if there everdrive clones are anything to go by.

http://www.jackdiy.cn/page143?product_id=107

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Keithchap

Keithchap wrote: »
    Cool thanks for your help. Here are some pics.

1JJqFME.jpg
    nuacck4.jpg

Just wanted to say thanks to those that were helping me out with this, took a back seat when my litle girl arrived. Just switched the machine back on to test it and it came on no problem so who knows, if it freezes again I'll do as suggested and switch out the board. Thanks again for your time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I see the GDEMU has been cloned, surprised its taken so long given the demand and waiting list for them, hardware seems the same, software probably not so much if there everdrive clones are anything to go by.

http://www.jackdiy.cn/page143?product_id=107

Sweet. Wasn't aware there were everdrive type solutions for the Dreamcast. My dad threw out my modded DC years ago so that'd be a nice cost effective way to get back into it.

edit: just looking it up there says the performance is pretty damn slow so burnt CD's are probably still superior option.

edit2: Ah right the GDROM solution works better. I'm all caught up.

Advertisement