Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MCSA Training

Options
  • 17-05-2010 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hello All,

I know there is already a sticky about this but i want to know which of the places are good. Im currently working and my boss want me to get MCSA certified. Ive tried PFH (which is what we normally use) but there MCSA is running in June (which im on travel ) for the server 2003 module so i cant attend, and since 2003 and training courses in general are in short demand i was told its unlikely this will come up for a while.

So im looking at going to dublin or wherever for training. Can someone advise as to some good places? as from the descriptions i get the impression that a lot of places are just sitting me in front of a pc and letting me read and do labs, which i can do myself at home.

Any info would really help. Thanks

Ps. forgot to say im located in cork
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I did a 2 courses in New Horizons for my MCSA. They were really good. The guy who did mine, a chap called Moe is a genius. Gave loads of real world tips too (handy for work, not the exams) and as well as covering all course material in excellent detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Ricochet69

I was put off by new horizons by the way the course was explaned to me. the girl i was talking to said that they get you to go through online tutorials and you have pc's then to do the labs on. Did your instructor teach you or just answer questions?

Crap.. I ment to say I went to Sure Skills for them, brain fart.. I recently did an SBS 2008 course in New Horizons, sorry about that. Sure Skills was really good, 60% interaction with instructor and the rest of the time is hands on doing the labs but all through the labs the instructor was there to help and answer questions. I can't say anything bad about New Horizons to be honest, good course, but it was Microsoft partner course and was squeezed from 5 to 3 days so it felt a little rushed.

thanks for your reply. i just think that new horizons seem to sit you in front of a pc with a tut video on. is that what kind of service you recieved when you did training there. Was the course in sure skills kind of like a lecture?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Just do the self study mate, virtual box with Win2003 trial if needs be
    That's how I passed but in say that it is my line of work.

• Advertisement

Yeah, Toaster is right. Don't go looking to pass exams after these course. You need to be working with the OS a lot or have a set up at home that allows you to get to know it properly. I used the courses more for bringing me up to speed in certain areas.

Neither SS or NH used video tutorials to teach the classes I was in.

Oh well I do work with server 2003 everyday in work. So i do have a bit of experence in them, just still want a good course thats simular to a college lecture not something i can do myself as i wouldnt be great at doing online courses.

Either place will suit you fine then.

Sweet. Thanks for all your help guys

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

+1 for self study

New horizons - sit in front of a PC and learn and that costs 2000EUR aprox.
    get yourself a CBT nuggets set of lectures

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Anyone know how long more will you be able to study for the 2003 server exams.

dont know for sure, but server2003 is still very big and people are slow to upgrade to 2008. So unless something drastic happens id say 1-2 years and m$ will start phazing them out then.

BTW got a custom course in PFH and they were great.

Advertisement