Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failed a Module in my Masters' Degree.

Options
  • 17-05-2010 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Evening folks.
    I think I may have failed in a module today. I was wondering if you fail one module and repeat it in the autumn, you get 40% only in that module as there is a cap but does your overall Masters' get capped as a PASS Masters' as well. I believe that's the way degrees work anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Think I might have failed one likewise but unfortunately no Autumn repeats. Have to redo it next year :/ Sucks major balls, its going to be the first time I failed!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Donnaghm

D-Generate wrote: »
    Think I might have failed one likewise but unfortunately no Autumn repeats. Have to redo it next year :/ Sucks major balls, its going to be the first time I failed!

You poor man. How come there's no autumn repeats? Any idea whether or not I can still get an honours masters'?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Donnaghm wrote: »
    You poor man. How come there's no autumn repeats? Any idea whether or not I can still get an honours masters'?

The uni I am in don't do repeats for Masters in Autumn. Its just do your project and come back next year. In our case there are only two levels I think, distinction and the standard masters. You need to pass everything first time for the distinction.

If you are in UCC, specifically the college of engineering and sciences then if you fail in Summer you can repeat in Autumn and not be capped. That exam itself will be capped to the 40% or 50% or whatever it is but your average won't be capped. Last year in undergrad people failed modules and still obtained a first by just having a good enough average.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

There will be an exam regulations handbook available on your course or departmental website. It'll tell you what the pass/honours standards are.

For what it's worth, my masters gave a little leeway. Students could fail one module and get a merit or distinction.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Donnaghm

"Please refer to the Book of Modules for requirements governing the Autumn
    Supplemental Examination for individual modules. Note: For some modules
    (AC6005 and IS6215), there is no Supplemental Examination. Students who
    fail to achieve the pass standard for the year at the Summer Examination for
    AC6002, AC6003, AC6004, IS6212, IS6111 and IS6214 must repeat all
    failed/absent modules at the Supplemental Examination. Marks from all
    passed modules are carried forward to the Supplemental Examination.
    The pass/progression rules are applied to the combination of marks carried
    forward in passed modules and marks obtained in repeated modules.
    Capping of Marks at a Supplemental Examination: In determining
    aggregation and the calculation of honours, the maximum mark that will be
    taken into account is a pass of 40%. The actual mark achieved by the
    candidate will be recorded on the student record."

Could somebody translate this mumbo jumbo. It's unclear whether or not the whole Masters' is capped if you fail a module. What exactly are the pass/progression rules?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭breedie

For what it's worth, I failed a module (D2) in my Masters and still got a first class honours degree. Can't see why they would penalise you across the board for one module.

Advertisement