Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW Polo Overheating?

• 17-05-2010 6:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭

Hey I dont know much about cars so wanted to get peoples opinions before i bring my car into the dealer and make a fool of myself!

Bought a 05 VW Polo about 4 months ago from a dealer. Car is still under warranty for another 2 months. Ive noticed that the temperature gauge in the car is always about half way up. Last car I had was an old fiesta and it was always at the bottom.

Do different cars run at different temperatures or is this a sign that something is up? Also the water in my window washer bottle seems to be very warm.

The car seems to run fine tho and ive being up and down the country in it and never had a problem.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Having the gauge at the halfway point is perfectly normal. Your old Fiesta's temp sender was probably broken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

And the screenwash will get warm from being close to the engine.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Oh thats a relief! The Fiesta one def wasnt broken tho. If i was stuck in traffic for a while it would rise.

One more quick question. I thought my window washer was empty so I went to refill it today and when i opened it up to put new water in it was still almost full but filled with dirty water and the water was hot. There is just a little trickle comin out of the jets, not even reaching the window. Its actually what started me thinkin that maybe the car was gettin too hot!!

Hey just seen ur post Anan. That explains that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭coronaextra

yea nothing to worry about SO LONG as you have coolant in your radiator, you should chect the levels in this every week along with your oil level.
    (allow car to cool down before checking as you can get a nasty steam burn from the radiator)
    Your wiper washer is a seperate issue and is warm because its located in the engine bay close to a hot engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭coronaextra

you have a blockage in the little spray nozle, take it off (usually twists off) and get a pin to remove the little bit of sand or grit which is stuck in the opening

• Advertisement

I think you're mixing up the screenwash bottle and the coolant expansion tank. Have a look in the manual, it'll tell you which is which. Re the Fiesta, i'd say the thermostat was gone.

Anan1 wrote: »
    I think you're mixing up the screenwash bottle and the coolant expansion tank. Have a look in the manual, it'll tell you which is which. Re the Fiesta, i'd say the thermostat was gone.

ah yes i think u may be right! This is a bit embarrassing. Im not even a 17 y/o girl im a 25 y/o man!!

What would happen if i put water mixed wth a little bit of the window washing stuff into the coolant? Im not sure cause i cant remember but i may have a few months ago.

jonny666 wrote: »
    What would happen if i put water mixed wth a little bit of the window washing stuff into the coolant? Im not sure cause i cant remember but i may have a few months ago.
    You were saying earlier that your coolant looked like dirty water? I'd have the system flushed and the coolant renewed, it won't cost much and it'll give your engine the protection it needs.

Don't worry about the embarrassment, the only fools are the ones who don't know but still won't ask.;)

Ya il do that just in case! The more i think about it there is no way i put the window washer in the coolant thing cause i had no window washer and i refilled it and then i had!! Thanks for all the replys and for not having a go at me for stupidity!

Advertisement