Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

leak from tank in attic

• 17-05-2010 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭

hi was away from house for a few days when i got back there was a pool of water on the landing floor just below the tank in the attic the ceiling has a small wet spot as well, the outlet pipe that runs out to the back eves was dripping a fair bit of water, renting place landlord is useless and not answering, i will be away from house from tomorrow for a week , whats the best thing to do until landlord sorts it, turn off water from mains and drain the tank ?? any help would be great thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Ya the best you can do is turn of mains and drain the tank , you have done all you can do then , just tell the landlord to sort it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Yep... Or you can send a text to the landlord telling him it needs to be fixed as you are going. You will then be covered. Mind you I imagine the landlord will have no chance placing it on you anyhow.

Dont worry...Thats why renting is cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

thanks for the answers have told landlord , hes a useless tool, didnt want to come back and see my stuff floating , thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

If this happens, 9 times out of 10 it is a failed ballcock in your attic tank. This is the round plastic ball attatched to a lever arm inside your tank.You can stop the flow of water by laying a piece of wood across the tank above the ballcock and tying a piece of string onto the arm of the ballcock onto the wood to lift the lever and stop the flow. It will get you out of trouble while you wait for a plumber. OOOrrr, you can do the above, toddle down to your hardware shop, buy a new plastic float ball, head into the attic, unscrew the plastic ball, and replace with the new. Simples. Sometimes also, the ballcock has twisted and no longer shuts off-it relies on the level of the water raising the float and closing the valve-twist until it is the right way up-ball up, water off, ball down, water flows.

Advertisement