Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing Wordpress on a local network

Options
  • 17-05-2010 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hello,

How do I go about installing Wordpress on our local network in work? We want to be able to use Wordpress as an internal blog that is only accessible by the staff working here.

Do I have to configure the local server to be a web server or can I download something like xampp to create a web server?

Thanks
    Conor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

You can install XAMPP on a machine that you'd like to use as the local web server. To prevent it from being accessed from outside the network, just block port 80 on your routers firewall. XAMPP is very easy to use. You'll also need to setup a static IP address for the server so that it's internal IP doesn't change.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Dj shaft

Hello,

I accessed the local server using remote desktop and loaded xampp and wordpress onto the C:\ of the server. I can access the wordpress website once in the remote desktop but I was wondering is there any way of setting it up so I can be accesssed like a normal website? How do I go about setting up a stat IP address for the server?

Thanks
    Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

Dj shaft wrote: »
    C:\ of the server. I can access the wordpress website once in the remote desktop but I was wondering is there any way of setting it up so I can be accesssed like a normal website? How do I go about setting up a stat IP address for the server?

Forward port 80 (and perhaps 443) from your router to the Windows machine and access it using your public IP address. http://www.whatismyip.com/ will tell you what it is.

Optional: a static IP address or a dynamic DNS client (like dyndns.org). Dynamic DNS is only really suitable for home/personal use. Many routers have dynamic DNS clients built in to them.

Advertisement