Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can we please, please boycott The Sun for this?

• 17-05-2010 7:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭

I just saw an ad on TV stating that The Sun will be giving away t-shirts with a large green hand imprint in the centre and the catchphrase "anyone but the French" on it.

Seriously, this has now become mortifying to the extent that action must be taken. I therefore propose a forum wide boycott. No referencing, no quoting, no linking and DEFINITELY no purchasing of The Sun.

All in favour say "AYE".

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I can't boycott it any more than I already do

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

Boycott the Sun anyway. Useless rag.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yes, let's all boycott it by talking about it. GO TEAM!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

tbh I'm all in favour of it. easier to identify the muppets and keep well clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I say YAY!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Like many others, I do not hurt my eyes and insult my intelligence by buying or reading that crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Big ass pics makes forum wide and eyes hurt... Boo. I say we boycott Eagle Eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

5 mins later and its still downloading

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Sorry guys didn't think my pic would cause all those problems. I deleted it, only a picture of a blazing sun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

eagle eye wrote: »
    Sorry guys didn't think my pic would cause all those problems. I deleted it, only a picture of a blazing sun.

I appreciated the bandwidth draining wit at any rate :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Should have no trouble with the amount of Liverpool fans on here anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I've nothing but respect for the Heads of The Sun for this idea. There are soooo many idiots out there that would love that shirt and they probably sold way above their daily average because of this. Genius. Saying that I never read the paper apart from the obv glance at page 3 but this idea would be right down the alley of those who do subscribe to the Sun regularly:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I like the boobs on it though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

shouldnt be reading the sun or the news of the world anyway.

there is literally no reason in the world to be on their website or buying those papers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I don't even know why people in Ireland buy it. Dirty rag

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

I think this hand thing regarding the French has gone on long enough now and it is getting well embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I will never ever boycott reading The Sun, i enjoy reading it, the tits on Page 3 are cool and they are accurate wit there news

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

scudzilla wrote: »
    I will never ever boycott reading The Sun, i enjoy reading it, the tits on Page 3 are cool and they are accurate wit there news

Where do I start? ..... pointless I expect.
    To be honest, I wouldn't wipe my hole with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

For most sane people, the Sun's very existence already provides ample justification for a boycott.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Aren't you a Liverpool fan?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

SantryRed wrote: »
    Aren't you a Liverpool fan?

Shh!

Only the News of the World and Sun are bad. If you extend the boycott to all Murdoch media, you have to give up Sky too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I quite hope the French get knocked out personally.

I don't wear clothes to that effect though. Might get a loan of a South Africa Jersey or something when the game is on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Blobby George

eagle eye wrote: »
    Could you pm me that pic please? Been looking for a decent shot of a blazing sun for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

There are so many reasons why you shouldn't buy the S*n. Honestly, does anyone really have any interest in this kind of garbage??

sun1.jpg

gotcha-st.jpg

harry-the-nazi.jpg

svSUN_narrowweb__300x383,0.jpg

GD8784805@Mandatory-Credit-Phot-1702.jpg

max-clifford-front-page-o-016.jpg?w=387

sunfrontpage.jpg

xin_1905022109470832132319.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

ShamoBuc wrote: »

Toilet paper ftw imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

This is a paper regularly that calls french people "frogs" and scientists "boffins". Anyone who buys it is an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Where do I start? ..... pointless I expect.

I'd be asking that if I only had a newspaper to wipe me arse, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Didn't we do this dance already before?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Didn't we do this dance already before?

Probably, but seeing as The Sun are correct then i'm still dancin ;)

• Advertisement

wat are they correct about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Neil3030 wrote: »

All in favour say "AYE" "Qui".

Fixed that!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Stop biting Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I legit remember reading the Sun when I was nine and wondering why it was written like if was for children. Apart from all the other stuff, surely no self respecting adult of reasonable inteligence would lower themselves that much?:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

If i was sitting in a waiting room for hours, and there was no other thing to read other than the Sun, i still wouldnt read it.

Nearly everything as far as i know, been 1 or 2 occasions where they have been wrong and been sued, but apart from that they've been spot on in what they've reported

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »
    Stop biting Al.
    What a weasely attempt at trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

flahavaj wrote: »
    I legit remember reading the Sun when I was nine and wondering why it was written like if was for children. Apart from all the other stuff, surely no self respecting adult of reasonable inteligence would lower themselves that much?:eek:

The sun in England has a circulation of like 10m :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

The sun in England has a circulation of like 10m :eek:

The Empire has well and truly crumbled.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I checked it's actually 3m in England :p less then a million for all the broadsheets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

The Sun will remain popular as it covers everything most average people want. News and Sport without to much in depth analysis, celebrity gossip and sensational stories that are eye catching. Plus a certain page in it that is aimed towards the male population

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

"The Tyrants In his Pants" - I just got that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Oh who gives a sh1t. Im no big fan of the Sun (though I would regard it as slightly more truthworthy than rags like the Sunday Indo) but who cares. Is it bandwagoning? Yes. Is it cheesey? Certainly. Should we forgive and forget? My bollocks we should.

Isn't the S*n for dumb idiots who can't read big words?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

rarnes1 wrote: »

It uses the most bizarrely awful puns and abbreviations I sometimes wonder does anyone understand it. The drooling goons who purportedly purchase it surely wouldn't have the intellectual capacity to work out what all those half-words and twisted usages are suposed to mean. It's nigh on imposible for a non-native to understand any of the gibberish they print (or why they would want to print it).

I'm not sure it's not a brilliantly executed piece of marketing journalism aimed at the 'ironic' highbrow. Otherwise it would be just page 3 all the way through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I just saw an ad on TV stating that The Sun will be giving away t-shirts with a large green hand imprint in the centre and the catchphrase "anyone but the French" on it.

Seriously, this has now become mortifying to the extent that action must be taken. I therefore propose a forum wide boycott. No referencing, no quoting, no linking and DEFINITELY no purchasing of The Sun.

All in favour say "AYE".

I'd never buy the rag anyway but this t-shirt thing is an utter embarrassment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

All in favour say "AYE".

I never buy the sun anyways but if you do, boycotting it for this is stupid.
    If you can't laugh what can you do

and lol @ mortifying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

rarnes1 wrote: »

Noooo. Seriously???

220px-It%27s_The_Sun_Wot_Won_It.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

gotcha-st.jpg

Hmmm, "hole cruiser". That sounds fruity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Aye!

• Advertisement
Advertisement