Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garlic crusher

Options
  • 17-05-2010 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi

Can anyone recommend a good quality garlic crusher? I have broken 2 over the past year :(.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've got this one ... solid as a rock, crushes unpeeled cloves and is easy to clean as well.

http://www.roesle.de/epages/Roesle.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Roesle/Products/xcs_3564/SubProducts/12782

• Registered Users Posts: 65,505 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That looks promising, Alun. I'd given up on crushers after the third (or fourth?) broke on me and I'm just chopping garlic now. Maybe I'll give yours a try :)

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

Did you ever try a microplane grater? They're brilliant for garlic, ginger etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Ddad wrote: »
    Did you ever try a microplane grater? They're brilliant for garlic, ginger etc.

Where do you get these?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I got this one from Ikea and it's the best I ever had

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/00089163

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Hehe, I was just about to post this - it's defo the best I've ever used too.
    But I tend to grate mine now, the grater is easier to clean :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I got so teed off of scraping gunk out of my crusher that I've taken to keeping my garlic in the freezer; it keeps longer, pops out of its skin more easily and grates finely with no mess. You do wind up with slightly garlicy hands, but I kind of like the smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The nice thing about the crusher I have that I linked to above is that there's an ingenious hinged mechanism whereby the plate with the holes in it can be got at easily, so it is much easier to clean. It's difficult to explain, but let's just say it's German, and they're good at things like that :) Plus if you crush the clove with the skin still on, all you're really left with is a squashed garlic clove skin which just peels off. It then usually doesn't take much more than a quick run under the tap and it's clean again.

141ujwi.jpg

282jb4p.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12 yermy

yeah, would second this one too:

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dubh101

Personaly I think garlic crushers are fiddley and a waste of time.A good chefs knife does the job just fine.Cover the clove with the knife and bash it with the ball off your hand this will release the skin and crush it at the same time than chop finely,tis especialy quick if your crushing a number off cloves and like me are adicted too garlic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Agree with last post, a knife or a good bash with a steak hammer does the trick.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

personally, i chop the 3 bulbs in the food processor, put them in a jar and cover with olive oil and leave in the fridge - lazy garlic ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Michelin-starred Italian chef Giorgio Locatelli does that too irishbird, saw it in one of his shows, so if it's good enough for him :) One thing about keeping fresh garlic (dried is ok) in oil is it must be kept refrigerated - garlic-infused oil kept at room temperature has a risk of clostridium botulinum growth, and even under refrigeration it should only be kept for 2-3 weeks. Commercially bought oil is treated against this.

Another way to prepare garlic is to split the clove lengthwise with a paring knife, then remove the centre core of each half (can be bitter.) Remove the rough base. Then just chop roughly, add some salt, then hold the top of the knife with the flat of your free hand, and using a down-and-across spreading motion, mince the garlic. Does the job quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

OXO Good Grips one is great - TX Maxx have them periodically for about 6 quid. Crushes the full clove and the handle flips back on itself and little rubber spikes push out any garlic left in the holes.

Advertisement