Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a question regarding 'dubious' spiritual fulfillment..

• 17-05-2010 7:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭

Hi all, first time posting here, just want to get some opinions, if I might..?

a friend of mine has gotten mixed up with this religious organisation, but I've been reading some pretty negative stuff about it.

I have already heard it's not a far cry from a 'Pseudo-Judaic' version of Scientology.
    They seem to be taking up a lot of my mates time, and money :(

Can anyone tell me any more ? or have any opinions ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

A fool and his money are swiftly parted.
    A man's mistakes are his own, no one else can make them for him or learn from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Thaedydal wrote: »
    A fool and his money are swiftly parted.
    A man's mistakes are his own, no one else can make them for him or learn from them.

thanks Thaedydal, my suspicions exactly, and approaching the subject is a 'no no', the shutters just come straight down, and you get nowhere, all the hallmarks of a 'cult' from what i can see so far.

this person, as far as we can see, is getting the old 'never mind your former friends, they don't understand, because they haven't reached your level of fulfillment/awareness' garbage line..

...oh and that'll be 200Euro, 'ching ching' :mad:

In fairness something being a cult does not automatically make it a bad thing,
    and often when a person needs to go through a period of growth and exploration spiritually it can help to get right out of your head into something completely different where no on knows you or has expectations of you.

Some times that alone can be priceless and then people come back around to themselves having learn more about life, the universe and more importantly themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭hiorta

Is there any difference(s) between a cult and a religion?
    They all seem to want you to think as they would wish you to, which never seemed a healthy idea at any time.
    But, all is learning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,239 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

hiorta wrote: »
    Is there any difference(s) between a cult and a religion?

Yes, a huge difference.

OP, if you are really concerned you should contact http://www.dialogueireland.org/.

But unless these jerks are telling your friend to do something stupid like forgo cancer treatment or move off to a foreign country to live in their commune, there probably isn't much to worry about.
    Worst case scenario he'll lose an assload of money and look back at how silly he was.

Best thing for you to do is not push on the subject or come out with stuff like "It's all stupid." That would shut him down, and possibly have you cut off.
    However you also mustn't be supportive of the cult. As in, don't go to their events etc and don't lend your friend money for their courses or whatever.

It's a tricky situation and there isn't an easy fix, but chances are it'll work out.
    There are much worse cults out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭hiorta

Could you give a few examples of the 'huge difference' between religions and cults?

It honestly think the only difference is that religions are cults which grew into being more main stream and public with a heirachy. Religions get tax breaks, cults don't.

hiorta wrote: »
    Could you give a few examples of the 'huge difference' between religions and cults?

-Huge fees for courses, books, rituals etc. usually with new ones cropping up all the time.

-Claims of controlling supernatural events, usually visions or healings. And of course, for a fee.

-Suggested or forced separation from community or family.

-Direct manipulation of the practitioner into staying it the cult. (it's a bit more than "you'll go to hell" before you jump on it.)

-A figurehead who is revered by the cult as enlightened/possessing greater knowledge etc. usually reaping the benefits.

-Teaching that the members of the cult are superior to normal people due to ancient knowledge/supernatural abilities.

-Often using legal system to silence critics.

-Sometimes strict control over what their members can and can't view on TV or the internet. Sometimes suggested, sometimes enforced.

Edit: forgot one.
    -Secrecy and/or dishonesty about their beliefs, teachings or rituals.

And the list goes on and on....
    But the main ones are the first four.

Now I argee it's a very blurry line between a cult and a religion, and that certain religions can have cultish areas.
    But there still is a huge difference between a cult and a religion, and it's not doing anyone any favours by conflating the two.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    It honestly think the only difference is that religions are cults which grew into being more main stream and public with a heirachy. Religions get tax breaks, cults don't.

Scientology gets tax breaks in a few states.

thanks for the imput and viewpoint guys.

some of the imformation i found about the organisation mentioned in the OP makes pretty grim reading, which might go some way to explaining my concern.

http://www.rickross.com/reference/kabbalah/kabbalah10.html

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/view/3402

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/3634742/The-great-Kabbalah-con-exposed.html

• Advertisement

marcsignal wrote: »
    thanks for the imput and viewpoint guys.

some of the imformation i found about the organisation mentioned in the OP makes pretty grim reading, which might go some way to explaining my concern.

http://www.rickross.com/reference/kabbalah/kabbalah10.html

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/view/3402

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/3634742/The-great-Kabbalah-con-exposed.html

As far as I know Kabbalah isn't a single organisation so those mightn't be the same thing your friend is in.

Kabbalah is one of buzz words some groups like to use to give themselves an air of "ancient wisdom" etc.

I friend of mine has been sucked in by a group like that called the Modern Mystery School. (Or the Rocky Mountain Mystery School.)
    Them claim to have kaballah bits.
    Maybe that's who he's with?

It's called The Kabbalah Centre. The link in the OP is their official website. Ive heard the name Dr. Rabbi Philip Berg mentioned, and as far as i can make out, its exactly the same organisation Madonna's involved with (that says it all really).

It's actually an impressionable young lady friend of mine whose mixed up with these people. Difficult to know what to do to be honest. this girl's had a pretty rough go of things up to now as it is, and can't really afford another fcuk-up in her life. Still i guess you're right, the best thing is just to keep an eye out, but silently, and from a reasonable distance.

It's called The Kabbalah Centre. The link in the OP is their official website. Ive heard the name Dr. Rabbi Philip Berg mentioned, and as far as i can make out, its exactly the same organisation Madonna's involved with (that says it all really).
    Ah fair enough.
    It's actually an impressionable young lady friend of mine whose mixed up with these people. Difficult to know what to do to be honest. this girl's had a pretty rough go of things up to now as it is, and can't really afford another fcuk-up in her life. Still i guess you're right, the best thing is just to keep an eye out, but silently, and from a reasonable distance.
    As cheesy as it sounds, the best thing you can do is be there for her.
    Don't let the cult try to come between her and her family/friends etc. And be careful to not give to cult a reason to do so.

And again, give Mike at Dialogue Ireland an email. He'll be able to give you much more informed advice than anyone here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Arfan

I'd say the difference between a religion and a cult is a religion will tell you its tenets and explain its beliefs then ask you for a handout.

A cult will charge you beforehand.

I think it's a handy rule of thumb.

Advertisement