Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cycling in carlow

• 17-05-2010 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

anyone know of a place to go off road cycling around carlow town? not especially mountain biking but some gentle forest routes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Oakpark might be what your looking for, on the back road to Castledermot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

There are some forest tracks around Mt Leinster. Some are very steep but some are ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭foundry

Down the barrow track is off road on the way to Athy, it's all flat of course & has some pretty nice scenery.

Also your not allowed cycle in Oak Park I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

Yep Oak Park is out of bounds for bikes..
    Plenty of forest tracks around Killeshin and the windy gap on the Portlaoise road.

There is also a disused quarry out at Newtown which is pretty good for MTB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭maccored

ive no idea if this is of any use - they do cycle runs etc:

http://carlowcycling.com/

• Advertisement

tombull82 wrote: »

There is also a disused quarry out at Newtown which is pretty good for MTB

Anymore info on this place Tom?

ShayK1 wrote: »
    Anymore info on this place Tom?

Its out the back of morriseys quarry out at Newtown.
    Go right out the BlackBog road as if goinf to milford, Just before the entrance into Morriseys take a left up the lane way. follow that until the 90 degree right hand bend and you will see the entrance in on the left.

Not sure what its like out there anymore. I used to shoot out there when I was younger but I have heard of people biking in it over the last few years.

I have a Giant- Tance X4 on order so I am hoping to be heading out when It comes. :-)

tombull82 wrote: »
    Its out the back of morriseys quarry out at Newtown.
    Go right out the BlackBog road as if goinf to milford, Just before the entrance into Morriseys take a left up the lane way. follow that until the 90 degree right hand bend and you will see the entrance in on the left.

Not sure what its like out there anymore. I used to shoot out there when I was younger but I have heard of people biking in it over the last few years.

I have a Giant- Tance X4 on order so I am hoping to be heading out when It comes. :-)

Nice one, I must go check it out.
    Not now though, I'm having a beer :D

ShayK1 wrote: »
    Nice one, I must go check it out.
    Not now though, I'm having a beer :D

I dont remember it being very big but may be OK for a small bit of whipping around.

Was supposed to be heading to a garden/house/Birthday party thing myself but to much on so ended up having to drop out. Shame, great weather for it.. :D

Got out there the other day Shay

Its fairly big and fine for biking around. loads of hills and small enough declines not really much good for DH stuff but would kick the bejesus out of yeah as a trials track if you wanted it too.

surfaces are a bit bumpy but....:D

you could probably plan out a decent route around it but I was out there at 05:30 so just took a spin around it before going to bed.. (night shift):)

• Advertisement
Advertisement