Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who pays for this breakage - me or the landlord?

Options
  • 17-05-2010 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

The other day the ceramic hob on the Hotpoint cooker cracked. Basically, a bowl I was carrying hit the corner of the hob and a crack went right up the middle. The hob is about 4 years old. After a little research it looks like the entire hob needs replacing, as you can't buy the ceramic top on its own (it's more than just a spare part) - cost would be a few hundred.

As a tenant, is this for me to pay, or would it be classed as a landlords expense, like a fridge or a washing machine that stopped working?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

I am no expert, but as you broke it, I can't see the landlord paying for it. If it had just stopped working might be a different story, but you cracked it yourself. Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

cut and dried case of tennants responsibility

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

ceramic hobs are covered for accidental damage on the house insurance ,really common occurance .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

That's assuming that the "house insurance" has contents cover, which a landlord may not have.

Talk to the landlord, but my reaction would be - you broke it, you replace it.

knighted_1 wrote: »
    ceramic hobs are covered for accidental damage on the house insurance ,really common occurance .

even if it is covered the excess is likely to make a claim pointless, besides which why should the landlords premium increase because hes made a claim for something he didnt damage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 darren1980

Actually, I have contents cover myself. Worth looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

darren1980 wrote: »

How much does contents cover cost? Do you keep it if you move address?

you cannot insure something you dont own. so cannot be covered by your policy

Bob Z wrote: »
    How much does contents cover cost? Do you keep it if you move address?

€65 a year. It's like any other insurance policy - when something changes, so does the cost.
    D3PO wrote: »
    you cannot insure something you dont own. so cannot be covered by your policy

But they don't know it's not mine.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

But they don't know it's not mine.

And thats fraud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

I don't think you need to own it. You need to have an 'insurable interest' in it, i.e. benefit in it's existence. I would think a cooker in your long term residence would fall under this category.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Simona1986 wrote: »
    I don't think you need to own it. You need to have an 'insurable interest' in it, i.e. benefit in it's existence. I would think a cooker in your long term residence would fall under this category.
    It well could. Depends on the policy obviously but you're entirely correct about insurable interest being enough for the possibility of it being covered.

The insurance point is moot, as it turns out the policy doesn't cover accidental damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

oh I have a question along these lines. When i moved into my new place (bout 1 month ago) the door on the washing machine was cracked,guy said it didnt effect how the machine worked so we didnt bother to insist on new one.

Now the door broke and fell off completely,so am I or landlord responsible???:confused:

I didnt get my insurance renewed when i moved :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

I would say the landlord. The equipment broke under fair wear and tear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

What would happen in the event of cigarette burns in a carpet ? Landlord or tenant ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

iMax wrote: »
    What would happen in the event of cigarette burns in a carpet ? Landlord or tenant ?

Tenant

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Are kitchen hobs not designed to take a bit of abuse, heavy saucepans and all that?
    sambuka41 wrote: »
    oh I have a question along these lines. When i moved into my new place (bout 1 month ago) the door on the washing machine was cracked,guy said it didnt effect how the machine worked so we didnt bother to insist on new one.

Now the door broke and fell off completely,so am I or landlord responsible???:confused:
    In this case, the landlord, the door was already broken, it has now completely failed. I, of course, assume you haven't been swinging off it and broke it that way.
    iMax wrote: »
    One cigarette burn after 5 years. Landlord.

Carpet that looks like its been napalmed within a week. Tenant.

Victor wrote: »
    .One cigarette burn after 5 years. Landlord.

Id have to disagree with you on this one. A worn carpet pile fair enough landlord, but actual damage and thats what a cigarette burn is weather it be 1 or 100 is tennant IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ZYX

The other day the ceramic hob on the Hotpoint cooker cracked. Basically, a bowl I was carrying hit the corner of the hob and a crack went right up the middle. The hob is about 4 years old. After a little research it looks like the entire hob needs replacing, as you can't buy the ceramic top on its own (it's more than just a spare part) - cost would be a few hundred.

As a tenant, is this for me to pay, or would it be classed as a landlords expense, like a fridge or a washing machine that stopped working?

You are responsible so it seems fair that you should pay. The question is how much should you pay?
    It would seem unfair to expect you to pay for a new hob when you broke a 4 year old one. The landlord can write the cost off against tax at 15% a year (over 6 years). So after 4 years 60% of the value of the hob is gone by depreciation. Offering to pay half the cost of a new hob would seem to be the fairest.

• Advertisement

ZYX wrote: »
    You are responsible so it seems fair that you should pay. The question is how much should you pay?
    It would seem unfair to expect you to pay for a new hob when you broke a 4 year old one. The landlord can write the cost off against tax at 15% a year (over 6 years). So after 4 years 60% of the value of the hob is gone by depreciation. Offering to pay half the cost of a new hob would seem to be the fairest.

Its a reasonable point however the landlord could equally argue that you can either have another second hand one and pay the full cost or he could say well i will give you the write off cost over 6 years.

Now that would be being a pain for the sake of it but its a valid counter argument :)

In fairness the understanding in general is you break you pay not that you pay x% because tax can be written off against the rest. I really dont think the OP can argue here.

Advertisement