Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alan Mathews Resigns as manager of Drogheda United FC

• 17-05-2010 8:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

Statement from Alan Mathews

I wish to confirm that I have resigned as manager of DUFC with immediate effect.

Unfortunately results have not been good enough and I feel that I have gone as far as I can with this group of players. By going now it will allow the club to get someone new in with enough time to hopefully turn things around. I would like to thank the board and the players for their efforts this season. In particular I would like to give special acknowledgment to the club’s terrific supporters who played no small part in keeping the team in the premier division last season and who have stood by the team this season despite some unacceptable performances.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Any manager who thinks Damien Brennan is a good enough centre half for Premier Division football doesn't deserve a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

SantryRed wrote: »
    Any manager who thinks Damien Brennan is a good enough centre half for Premier Division football doesn't deserve a job.

Good enough compared to...?

We have to work with what we have and what we can afford.

Predictions for manger???

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The amount of goals they've conceded is ridiculous, shipping 6 against Sligo just shouldn't happen.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Lollymcd wrote: »
    Predictions for manger???

:cool:

20090630--085642-sp_02.jpg

The amount of goals they've conceded is ridiculous, shipping 6 against Sligo just shouldn't happen.

If only we had some kind of analysis show to explain to the ordinary punter what's going wrong and what needs to be fixed... Oh no, sorry, I forgot we have MNS!!!

What is the story with Drogheda's defence, on paper they are not THAT bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Bound to happen, sure they've conceded 30 odd goals this year already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Well, Jamie Harris has been piss poor this year anyway.

stovelid wrote: »
    :cool:

20090630--085642-sp_02.jpg

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

that would be one season ticket never used again

If only we had some kind of analysis show to explain to the ordinary punter what's going wrong and what needs to be fixed... Oh no, sorry, I forgot we have MNS!!!

Damien Brennan isn't that bad? Seriously?

Well, Jamie Harris has been piss poor this year anyway.

True, can't run to save his life. Alan McNally and Joe Kendrick are both hard workers though, IMO the goals conceeded do not reflect their efforts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Reckon Doolin will be back.

CSF wrote: »
    Reckon Doolin will be back.

Yeah, I reckon he'll give up his €45,000 a year for two or three matches a year to be the manager of Drogheda United.

Oh wait, where you being scarcastic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Damien Brennan wasn't even good enough for a non-promoted Shels team.

He was decent in his first season with us, but last year was absolutely muck, couldn't believe he got a PD team to take him on, unbelievable.

Yeah, I reckon he'll give up his €45,000 a year for two or three matches a year to be the manager of Drogheda United.

Oh wait, where you being scarcastic?
    Well he could do both to be honest, Fenlon did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Sorry to see him go. Even though results have been desperate this season, he had the team trying to play attractive football - much better than the negative crap we had to watch when Doolin was in charge.

A manager can only do so much when the money isn't there to attract or keep players. Last season it looked like a rebuilding process might be underway at Drogheda, but then we had to let our best player go (Chambers) and we're going backwards instead of forwards. With no sign of any financial changes, it's probably going to be a long season with a few more thrashings followed by relegation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

It's a sign of a failed manager. Cannot operate unless he has a sizeable budget. Compare that to what Michael O'Neill did with a part time Rovers squad last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

It's a sign of a failed manager. Cannot operate unless he has a sizeable budget. Compare that to what Michael O'Neill did with a part time Rovers squad last season.

With Longford, Mathews won the League Cup (2004), two FAI Cups (2003, 2004), and finished runners-up in the FAI Cup in 2007. If Longford hadn't been deducted 6 points they wouldn't have been relegated in 2007. Despite G. Walsh pulling the plug on City, all the off-field turmoil, he kept things together on the pitch to win the Setanta Cup in 2008. Mathews is a good manager.

There's only one t in Mathews!

Darius Kierans (under 20 manager) has been appointed interim manager. He says he will only apply for the position if they beat Bray tonight.

Brian King has left the club citing work commitments

Matthews will be named as our (Shels) new manager during the week.

Does this represent a real change for Shels though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Does this represent a real change for Shels though?

Just represents Keely having enough tbh, wanted to walk earlier in the month, board begged him to stay, so now Matthews is available Keely has decided to walk...to over look the schoolboy section.

Just represents Keely having enough tbh, wanted to walk earlier in the month, board begged him to stay, so now Matthews is available Keely has decided to walk...to over look the schoolboy section.

I think they are very similar managers, I can't see Mathews having any more or less of an impact than Keely

I think they are very similar managers, I can't see Mathews having any more or less of an impact than Keely
    I wouldn't say that them playing a similar style of football means they'll have a similar impact. If he can get the players playing for him, we've a decent bunch. Playoffs aren't beyond us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Sweet, rumour was Gill was going to take over.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Sweet, rumour was Gill was going to take over.
    Still is the rumour that he'll take over at Drogheda.

Still is the rumour that he'll take over at Drogheda.

One of the coaches got the job for the season. So Gill is hopefully with us for the season.

One of the coaches got the job for the season. So Gill is hopefully with us for the season.
    Where did you hear that he had it for the season?

I heard Keely resigned during the week, looks lke you speak the truth my man!

I hate to split hairs but the Rovers budget last season was not insignificant, I know of one player who was offer a full time position with a club outside Dublin but opted to stay with Rovers as there was only €50 difference in his wages. As a part time player it was a better option for him to stay at Rovers.

• Advertisement

Cannot operate unless he has a sizeable budget. Compare that to what Michael O'Neill did with a part time Rovers squad last season.

Only seen that know but by God someones got their head in some sand. Next down neighbours grandson plays with Rovers, few first team starts last season and this season and well he ain't on pennys and he's only part-time.

Matthews officially annouced as the new Shels boss today. Good appointment aside from the fact Collie O'Neill (whos been assistant manager since we got demoted and hasn't lost a match yet in his several games as caretaker manager) and Fred Davis (who's been with Shels as a coach for anything up to 20 years) will be let go.

Good signing if a little delayed.

Signing Fabio and Shane Barrett today. Interestingly outbid pats for fabio.

Thought yis were in for Cahill, but he went to Fingal?

Ollie is a good signing for a thin squad. Bags of experience, still decent at getting to the line and putting crosses and a great pro.

Barrett has signed for Cork, should I be doubting the Fabio link now too?

Barrett has signed for Cork, should I be doubting the Fabio link now too?

Heard Fabio myself ages ago, but in all fairness we don't need anymore strikers tbh.

• Advertisement

Mahon spoke to Cahill but he wasnt interested. Fabio offered same deal as everyone else but waiting on shels to come back to him. Barret same Cork must have offered him more.

Would like Fabio if we can afford him.

Couldn't see us offering Fabio anything crazy tbh, we were at our limits on the budget department and our BoM won't let it go a penny over.

Couldn't see us offering Fabio anything crazy tbh, we were at our limits on the budget department and our BoM won't let it go a penny over.
    I reckon we had to offer something for Matthews to work with to get him to take the job.

Mahon spoke to Cahill but he wasnt interested.

Fingal must have offered more money?

I reckon we had to offer something for Matthews to work with to get him to take the job.

Probably a part-time job in Dublin was the advantage, the board hardly could give more money when our attendences are down, no Leeds friendly this summer, etc...
    stovelid wrote: »
    Fingal must have offered more money?

Ofcourse they didn't, just cars, apartments and free fruit.

• Advertisement

Definitely want to know the source of the story then.

Declan "Fabio" O'Brien signed for Athlone anyway, so that rumour is gone.

http://www.drogheda-independent.ie/premium/sport/soccer/donnelly-named-as-drogheda-manager-2258199.html

FORMER Shelbourne coach Brian Donnelly has become Drogheda United's second new manager in the space of two weeks, following the shock resignation of Paul Lumsden. Donnelly will work alongside the club's director of football Darius Kierans, who cannot be manager in name because he hasn't yet completed his 'A' Licence coaching qualification.

Declan "Fabio" O'Brien signed for Athlone anyway, so that rumour is gone.

Go me!

Seriously shocked he went there tbh, coaching role at athlone or a game at shels or a game at league challenging rovers or a game with us :o

Suppose he has his reasons ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Matthews officially annouced as the new Shels boss today. Good appointment aside from the fact Collie O'Neill (whos been assistant manager since we got demoted and hasn't lost a match yet in his several games as caretaker manager) and Fred Davis (who's been with Shels as a coach for anything up to 20 years) will be let go.

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! :(:(:(:(:(:(

http://www.drogheda-independent.ie/premium/sport/soccer/donnelly-named-as-drogheda-manager-2258199.html

FORMER Shelbourne coach Brian Donnelly has become Drogheda United's second new manager in the space of two weeks, following the shock resignation of Paul Lumsden. Donnelly will work alongside the club's director of football Darius Kierans, who cannot be manager in name because he hasn't yet completed his 'A' Licence coaching qualification.

Very shocked at that signing. Heard Collie O'Neill (our ex-assistant/caretaker manager) rejected the job a few weeks back so thought he might have gone for it since our BoM are letting Mathews run the show with the backroom.

It doesn't make a difference anyways. Kierans is still going to be manager.

SantryRed wrote: »
    It doesn't make a difference anyways. Kierans is still going to be manager.

A couple of months in and I'm still not sure about the situation, is it right for the club? Is it right for the players? Especially the really young ones? How much of an input does Donnelly have? We're paying him afterall, surely it would be worth listening to his expertise???

Has worked out well enough for us so far anyway.

Advertisement