Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milan's U.S. defender Onyewu decides to play for free

• 17-05-2010 9:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭

think this story is worth getting a mention.

"Milan's U.S. defender Onyewu decides to play for free
    MILAN
    Mon May 17, 2010 7:51pm BST

MILAN (Reuters) - AC Milan defender Oguchi Onyewu has bucked the trend of modern football and decided to play for free in two years' time.

Oddly Enough

The centre back, in the United States preliminary squad for the World Cup, has missed almost all Milan's season because of a serious knee injury but is now quite literally paying the club back for standing by him.

"Onyewu asked for, and received, a one-year contract extension from Milan, from June 30, 2012 to June 30, 2013," Milan, third in Serie A this term, said in a statement.

"During this extra year, Oguchi Onyewu, by his choice, much appreciated by the Rossoneri club, has asked not to receive any kind of salary. This is an exemplary gesture which deserves sincere congratulations."

The 28-year-old was in his first season with the Italian club when he tore a knee tendon in October playing for the U.S. in a World Cup qualifier.

He is in the preliminary squad for the June 11-July 11 tournament in South Africa despite only just recovering his fitness and not featuring for Milan in the Serie A run-in.

(Reporting by Mark Meadows; Editing by Justin Palmer)"

source

other sources:

yahoo sport
    football365

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Oneyewu has just gone up by a million in my books.

Great gesture to the club.

More of people like him who want to play football and less like a certain Ashley Cole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Redondo did something similar when he was out injured for two years..he was also at Milan at the time

Great gesture from the lad

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Fair play. I think more players who get long term injuries like that should show a bit of recognition to the clubs who stand by them for the duration of the injury. Even if it is not by playing for free but even some cut price. They usually get paid full amount whilst injured so if the club still wants them at the club, to then play for a reduced wage seems to show some thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Kieron Dyer should give that a shot.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ondarack

Owen Hargreeves should hav a think about it aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Classy gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

Great play by the young lad:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Hargo is rumored to be going onto a pay as you play style deal similar to saha and owen because of his injuries. Nothing confirmed but was mentioned few months back.

Good gesture by Onyewu, however the life of a footballer to earn money is short. I think the club should reward him by actually giving him his salary or more than he is on after he suggested it. He could get injured again and be broke for the rest of his life - what has he to support himself or his family? Excellent show of loyalty by the lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

fair play, it is a great gesture. Wonder if he would be extended past that for wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Surely both parties are heavily insured against injuries? Not to sound too cynical but it sounds more like the player wanted an extra year playing for Milan full stop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Surely both parties are heavily insured against injuries? Not to sound too cynical but it sounds more like the player wanted an extra year playing for Milan full stop.

Sure what's wrong with that?

Great gesture from him, fair play.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Mido's playing for us for £1000 a week.
    And he's still sh!te :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

That is a nice way of repaying Milan for spending money on him and rarely paying. But if I was him I would be looking to leave the club, Milan are on the wane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Nice gesture, basically he feels like he owes the club a year,

I will however wait and see if it materialises, he is not due to play for free until 2012 a lot can and will happen between now and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I will however wait and see if it materialises, he is not due to play for free until 2012 a lot can and will happen between now and then.
    Exactly - it's not like he's just given back a year's salary. He's 28 now - chances of him still being at Milan when he's 31 and due to play the free year? Slim.

Nice gesture. If it materialises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Osu wrote: »
    Oneyewu has just gone up by a million in my books.

Great gesture to the club.

More of people like him who want to play football and less like a certain Ashley Cole.
    I just lost any respect I had for him. Every club has insurance on all their players. This insurance kicks in after either 10 days or 2 weeks, not sure which it is, so he doesn't owe them anything. The nightmare players for clubs are the guys that go down with regular strains and are out for 1/2 games on a regular basis, not the guys that miss a full season due to one injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Just like Michael Owen eh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

eagle eye wrote: »
    I just lost any respect I had for him. Every club has insurance on all their players. This insurance kicks in after either 10 days or 2 weeks, not sure which it is, so he doesn't owe them anything. The nightmare players for clubs are the guys that go down with regular strains and are out for 1/2 games on a regular basis, not the guys that miss a full season due to one injury.

i don't get why his gesture would cause you to lose respect for him. The insurance issue seems separate to what he is doing (or proposing to do)

Advertisement