Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bluetooth Carkits

• 17-05-2010 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭

Come July will be doing a lot of commuting so want to get a bluetooth handsfree for the car. Had a Nokia CK-7 in a previous car which was excellent but with the advances in phones etc whats a good current car kit? Will be getting an i-phone so ideally would want something that could stream the ipod function through the speaker as well as acting as a handsfree. Car is a 02 Mondeo and has an old school car kit (probably for an old Nokia 6110 or the like) fitted. Would this have to be removed completly or can some components be used for a new kit. Any reccomendations? And any reccomendations for a place to fit it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

I hear parrott are quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭freighter

Parrot mki 9200 no questions....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭Shane732

Sorry to kind of hi-jack the thread but does anyone know of some decent installers of Parrot system in the Dublin area?

I'm thinking of getting one for a friend...

I do shane and cant think of his number/name:o:o. Its being posted here loads of times so im sure someone will know

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Bellemz

The old nokia car kits are wired in with 3 wires in the cable whereas new kits have 12 wires in the cable so in short, it is not usable (just bought a car with one in it and asked the same question to a guy in halfords recently). There are apparently nokia bluetooth adaptors for the oldschool kits that can make it compatible with other phones via bluetooth but you're probably better off starting from scratch...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

freighter wrote: »

+1

For not a lot more than a basic kit it does everything. ipod, aux in, SD card, usb, Bluetooth plus Bluetooth play back. Really is a great bit of gear for about 300 squid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

freighter wrote: »

Looks pretty slick! Cheers.

If there are any boardsies who sell/install these around Midlands/Dublin send me a PM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Have a SE speakerphone in my car, it clips on to the visor. Great sound off it and its got good talktime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭cormie

EPM wrote: »
    for about 300 squid

:eek:

I was considering maybe getting one but that's a crazy price :eek:

I've a bluetooth handsfree kit with my Stereo, it works, but not so well, I can hear them ok but they have trouble hearing me. Add to this the fact I drive a loud van doesn't help.

Just how much better would one of these be considering the price is about 4 times more expensive for JUST a bluetooth unit and no stereo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Shane732 wrote: »
    Sorry to kind of hi-jack the thread but does anyone know of some decent installers of Parrot system in the Dublin area?

I find Ted in www.scansounds.ie , Phibsborough Road (opposite Broadstone Garage) very good for all that sort of stuff

• Advertisement

cormie wrote: »
    :eek:

I was considering maybe getting one but that's a crazy price :eek:

I've a bluetooth handsfree kit with my Stereo, it works, but not so well, I can hear them ok but they have trouble hearing me. Add to this the fact I drive a loud van doesn't help.

Just how much better would one of these be considering the price is about 4 times more expensive for JUST a bluetooth unit and no stereo?

Well in fairness, it's more than just a bluetooth kit. The screen mimics your iPod's screen and you have a controller for it. It's as much about music. Considering some manufacturers charge you a couple of hundred for a simple line in it makes this look great value.

I don't have an ipod (well I do but it's rockboxed :P) but the main thing I'd be looking for is clear voice communication, as long as I have that I'm happy. The stereo with bluetooth I have isn't the best, but how much better would these parrot thingies be I wonder for the caller to hear me with a loud van going 120kmph rocking about the place? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The Parrot has 2 microphones to allow noise cancellation. At 300 quid, it's only 100 more than a normal handsfree installation, but you're getting a dedicated iPod/USB/SD/Aux-in/Streaming music kit which if you bought separaately would probably end up being 300 quid anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Matches

The Parrot mki9200 is a serious bit of Kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭brennarr

I bought the parrot MKI 9200 & installed in Halfords in Portlaoise for €250 about 2 months ago. Its a great system, very happy with my purchase. Would recommend

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I got one of those parrots too, and it's great. I spend a lot of the time in the car for work (sometimes 6-8 hours) and these are way better then the bluetooth headsets / visors / car stereos I've had previously. I was actually getting hoarse from shouting at the mic on my old stereo!

Voice dial is actually very good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

brennarr wrote: »
    I bought the parrot MKI 9200 & installed in Halfords in Portlaoise for €250 about 2 months ago. Its a great system, very happy with my purchase. Would recommend

Not being smart - Genuine question.

- Are my local Halfords (Limwreck) likely to be able to fit a Parrot HF Kit cleanly and efficiently with no reasonable expectation of fcuk ups?

I don't have an ipod (well I do but it's rockboxed :P) but the main thing I'd be looking for is clear voice communication, as long as I have that I'm happy. The stereo with bluetooth I have isn't the best, but how much better would these parrot thingies be I wonder for the caller to hear me with a loud van going 120kmph rocking about the place? :)

Get the parrot ck3100 cormie its as good without the bells and whistles. I have it in a hino:p

Raiser wrote: »

- Are my local Halfords (Limwreck) likely to be able to fit a Parrot HF Kit cleanly and efficiently with no reasonable expectation of fcuk ups?

No. Absolutely not.

I wouldnt tbh. Plenty of proofs around limerick that would be better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭caspermccormack

Have a look at the THB Bury cc9060, full touch screen and voice activated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭futurec

New Bury CC9060 music due out in the next couple of weeks specially for Iphone/Ipod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Got a parrot MKi9000 for €120 from ebay. Same as the 9200 without the screen. Have a perfect screen on my iPhone don't need another!

Serious bit of kit. Charges phone, takes calls and streams music. Fitted it in about 15 mins.

gpf101 wrote: »
    Got a parrot MKi9000 for €120 from ebay. Same as the 9200 without the screen. Have a perfect screen on my iPhone don't need another!

Serious bit of kit. Charges phone, takes calls and streams music. Fitted it in about 15 mins.

You could fit a few for the ops here:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭futurec

15 mins to install I'd love to see how that looks

Them fitting mine involved a trip to the dealer to pop the radio, broken air vents, scratched gearknob and yer man fcuking off half way through the installation (which was sh1t anyway) because he was going on holidays.

So knock yourself out...

Got a decent installer to do it in the end.

I still can't see a reason to justify spending so much on JUST the ability to talk handsfree. What's the quality like? How would it fare for working in a loud noisy van I wonder? :)

I still can't see a reason to justify spending so much on JUST the ability to talk handsfree. What's the quality like? How would it fare for working in a loud noisy van I wonder? :)

You asked both those questions earlier! It's not just a handsfree. A handsfree is 200 Euro. This is 300 Euro, and includes a top of the range iPod/SD/USB/Bluetooth Streaming/Aux-in music adapter you'd pay 300 on its own for. The parrot also has dual microphones for noise cancellation.

:o I guess the only way to check is to test it out myself. It's just when I've used my bluetooth handsfree on the Lidl/Aldi stereos (I have 3 in 3 separate vehicles, all different models) the caller has a hard time hearing me properly. Even 200eur is a gamble for something that may just be the same.

Do they connect to the speakers direct, or to the speakers via the headunit? Does the headunit control the functionality of it at all or is it all controlled through the parrot piece?

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Shane732 wrote: »

http://www.autotronics.ie/

I have used them twice this year - bluetooth kit in wife's car and parking sensors for my own - both very neat jobs and competetive pricing

The service is mobile, worth checking out.

:o I guess the only way to check is to test it out myself. It's just when I've used my bluetooth handsfree on the Lidl/Aldi stereos (I have 3 in 3 separate vehicles, all different models) the caller has a hard time hearing me properly. Even 200eur is a gamble for something that may just be the same.

TBH, I'm all for value, but with the Aldi/Lidl head units, you get what you pay for!
    Do they connect to the speakers direct, or to the speakers via the headunit?

Either. Most people have it wired so when a call comes in, it disconnects the headunit from the speakers and uses its own amp to send the call to the speakers. It also does this when playing music, completely disconnects the head unit. However, it is possible to wire the Parrot to go through the head unit if the head unit has an audio line in.
    Does the headunit control the functionality of it at all or is it all controlled through the parrot piece?

All of the calling is controlled by the Parrot, and it's very clever. If you have an incoming call, just say 'accept' or 'reject' and it'll answer/end the call. Press the green button, and it voice dials using its own voice recognition.

Thanks for that! I think I'd just need the most basic of basic models, just as long as there is clear communication that's all that matter for me really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Just got the MKi 9200 installed there, I have to say its a serious piece of kit!

Got Evolution Sounds to install the system, they came to the house and did a very professional installation job that took around 90 minutes to do including running me through the array of features. Auxy jacks for iPod/ line in etc neatly in the glovebox and not a wire in sight. Charged €250 all in, which is what you'd pay in Halfords. I'd highly reccomend them, Stephen was the guy that carried out the work.

Cheers for the reccomendation gents.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

For fitting in Limerick, I got JP from http://www.custommotion.ie/ to install it. It's not very difficult, but If in doubt - contact a professional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭Gers_punto

I would believe all these stupid stories about halfords fitters being stupid etc. some of them actually know what they are doing...... ESPECIALLY in limerick.....

How do i know because i was the fitter there for the last 4 years. Apart from the fitters that were there when i was off i have fitted hundreds of handsfree kits in many many cars in limerick.. I stood over every fit i did i have a work specific mobile that customers can reach me on and have never had a complaint...

YES there are hundreds of halfords fitters that havent a clue but i wont sit here and have people critise the limerick store. unless it was fiitted by (conrad) who hadnt a clue :(

if ya want i can run through all the parts etc ya need the features of the kit etc the weekend. Im in store all week end just ask for GER THE HANDSFREE KIT FITTER and ill happily help ya out :)

• Advertisement

Juan Pablo wrote: »
    Just got the MKi 9200 installed there, I have to say its a serious piece of kit!

Got Evolution Sounds to install the system, they came to the house and did a very professional installation job that took around 90 minutes to do including running me through the array of features. Auxy jacks for iPod/ line in etc neatly in the glovebox and not a wire in sight. Charged €250 all in, which is what you'd pay in Halfords. I'd highly reccomend them, Stephen was the guy that carried out the work.

Cheers for the reccomendation gents.

Glad to help out... The usb port included in the aux jacks can be used for updating the software. Go to parrot.com for support and downloads and see have you the latest software update. It means you can make your kit better all the time;)

Actually, does anyone know if you can but the controller for the kit as a spare part. My cars been parked up for a while and ever since the big freeze the controller hasn't been very responsive (came back to find water droplets on the inside of windscreen:rolleyes:). It works sometimes but not all the time.

It could just be the battery and i'll try this next week but if mositure has gotten in there then I'll have to get the part replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ostoplad

I have a parrot and looking for someone to fit it, anyone know any good place in Cork city area,I have been quoted €120 in the main dealers to fit it.its going into a A4

This guy fitted mine. Got his number from paintdoctor here. Was excellent - fast and very good job. No sign of wires anywhere.

Tom Deasy
    087 2567216

EPM wrote: »
    Actually, does anyone know if you can but the controller for the kit as a spare part. My cars been parked up for a while and ever since the big freeze the controller hasn't been very responsive (came back to find water droplets on the inside of windscreen:rolleyes:). It works sometimes but not all the time.

It could just be the battery and i'll try this next week but if mositure has gotten in there then I'll have to get the part replaced.

Mine went a bit wonky aswell. I stuffed a tiny bit of tinfoil between the battery and the circuit board and its perfect since....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Sorry for dragging up an old thread but would anyone know anyone that could fit a Parrot mki9200 in the Galway area.

Advertisement