Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nosebleeds in children

Options
  • 17-05-2010 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭

My sister (nine) is getting fairly frequent nosebleeds. She seems to be getting between two and four a week; they're not particularly heavy and don't last for more than 10-15 minutes. She's very active, and they mostly seem to happen during/after exercise (e.g. athletics, handball, football.) She says that she hasn't gotten any knocks to her nose recently.

I'm just wondering is there anything that can be done to stop this? Does it mean that she's possibly deficient in something? I know that when I was her age I was prone to them too, and the doctor suggested getting that operation to close the vein, but in the end they just stopped on their own ... hopefully hers will too.

Also, is there any point in bringing her to the doctor, or would that just be being a bit of a hypochondriac? Chances are he'll only suggest the same operation, and I don't think we'd consider that just yet unless the got a lot worse.

I hope this isn't considered looking for medical advice! I'm just looking for general information, really, as I don't think it's something that warrants a visit to the GP just yet ... just looking for opinions! :)

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I am sorry but as you have not yet taken her to the dr about this I have to lock the thread. It's site policy, it could be a condition like what you had growing up for something more seriously please get her seen by the dr and checked out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement