Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rent relief

• 17-05-2010 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

I've been renting for the last 4 years. I'm a student, and my parents have paid the rent. Can I claim the tax back on the rent? I've only worked a little the last few years, so would it be better for my parents to claim the relief instead or does it make a difference?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I've been renting for the last 4 years. I'm a student, and my parents have paid the rent. Can I claim the tax back on the rent? I've only worked a little the last few years, so would it be better for my parents to claim the relief instead or does it make a difference?

You didn't pay the rent yourself, so it would be your parents that would claim the relief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

It's a credit against PAYE paid.

If you don't have the PAYE paid then you won't get the credit.

If you are a dependent under 21 in full time education your parents can claim this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

I have a couple of questions about Rent Relief myself. No point starting another thread on it.

Myself & my girlfriend have been renting an apartment, at €800/month, since the end of 2004 and have never applied for rent relief. We can't get relief now for 2005 can we? Is it only 4 years you can go back? So 06, 07, 08 & 09 we can get refunds for?

How is it calculated? I've done a bit of research & the max allowance is 20% of €2k/year. Is this €2k the max amount of rent allowed? How does the amount of tax we paid come into it? We were both working full-time each year.

We pay €400 each, so 400 x 12 = €4800 per year. So we should both be entitled to max back per year, for 4 years. €2k x 20% x 4 = €1600 each in total. Am I calculating this correctly?

One last question. The €800 comes directly out of my bank account. Will the revenue look for receipts or anything else & how can my girlfriend prove that she does pay €400 towards it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭DoMyBooks

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    I have a couple of questions about Rent Relief myself. No point starting another thread on it.

Myself & my girlfriend have been renting an apartment, at €800/month, since the end of 2004 and have never applied for rent relief. We can't get relief now for 2005 can we? Is it only 4 years you can go back? So 06, 07, 08 & 09 we can get refunds for?

How is it calculated? I've done a bit of research & the max allowance is 20% of €2k/year. Is this €2k the max amount of rent allowed? How does the amount of tax we paid come into it? We were both working full-time each year.

We pay €400 each, so 400 x 12 = €4800 per year. So we should both be entitled to max back per year, for 4 years. €2k x 20% x 4 = €1600 each in total. Am I calculating this correctly?

One last question. The €800 comes directly out of my bank account. Will the revenue look for receipts or anything else & how can my girlfriend prove that she does pay €400 towards it?

1. Correct you can only go back four years so 2005 is gone now.
    2. As long as you paid enough PAYE to cover the refund the amount of tax you paid doesn't come into it.
    3. The revenue don't look for receipts when you initially make the claim. Just the landlords details. They are entitled to ask for them in time and sometimes do.

How do they check if a claim is legit? Can they check your address vs your PPS number? Do they just audit a certain % of people? Is this enough to deter people from making false claims?

Our situation is legit but if they do happen to audit my girlfriend, what happens if she can't prove she did pay rent for 4 years? I didn't give her receipts when she gives me cash towards rent :pac: Would they be looking for the money back?

• Advertisement

^^^ Anyone have an answer to that?

Also, just looking at the Rent1 form and their is no space provided for my name. They can just get it from my PPS, I take it? There is space on the top left of the form but it doesn't say what it's for. Presume it's for office use.

Was thinking of signing up for PAYE anytime. Would this be an easier/faster way to get rent relief than sending off forms?

Revenue have better things than to send inspectors out for a 400 euro credit.

They don't audit it dude

lol, that's true I suppose. Cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

If it was audited , it would probably more to do with the landlord's tax situation , rather than your gf's

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭JayC5

I've been thinking about claiming this back also:

I finished up work in May of last year and returned to fulltime education that September so I've been paying rent since Autumn - I'm not working at the moment tho and paying it from my savings so can I still claim this back do you think?

Cheers

• Advertisement

I finished up work in May of last year

No. No PAYE, no Refund of PAYE is possible.

Advertisement