Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

passat sports tdi difference??

• 17-05-2010 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

hey, i currently own a red(di) passat but ive seen the phrase "130bhp sports tdi" passat being used on some ofrms, was wondering if anyone knew the difference between the two?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Sport was a UK spec...

...and I didn't even make a joke...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

EPM wrote: »
    ...and I didn't even make a joke...

Bah, this demands a joke! OP, yer Tee Diddly-Eye won't go any faster if you call it a Sport model. In fact you can call it a Veyron model if you want, it'll still be a 1.9 diesel :D

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭celica1994

being honest i wasnt trying to make out that it would make the car any faster i was just wondering what the difference was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

celica1994 wrote: »
    being honest i wasnt trying to make out that it would make the car any faster i was just wondering what the difference was
    There's different extras afaik, I think the sport came with different alloys, spoiler etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭celica1994

its prob got more extras, the one i have is fairly basic lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

IIRC Slightly different interior (seats) , alloys, and supposedly its 15mm lower than non sport, 6sp gearbox on the diesel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

TDI Sport model puts out more smoke than an Icelandic volcano...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Sport had grey effect trim on the doors and dashboard, sport seats, 7 spoke alloy wheels and different shape steering wheel.

Eg: http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201019197966358

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Confab wrote: »
    Bah, this demands a joke! OP, yer Tee Diddly-Eye won't go any faster if you call it a Sport model. In fact you can call it a Veyron model if you want, it'll still be a 1.9 diesel :D

What brought that on?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭seanyleary

there is also a 4 motion model also, uk only i would think have seen one in ireland but it was imported.

• Advertisement

seanyleary wrote: »
    there is also a 4 motion model also, uk only i would think have seen one in ireland but it was imported.

I saw one too, dark metallic blue and the driver parks like an ass. In or around the Whelans area.
    Also I have seen one with v6 TDI on the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

bbk wrote: »
    What brought that on?

Read this forum enough and you will soon realise that most of the regulars drive/wish they drove BMW petrols. VAG Diesels are ananthema to them but BMW diesels are (somehow) slightly more palatable :)

So driving a front-wheel drive car, that also happens to be diesel is akin to telling these people that at the weekends you like to hang around playgrounds taking photographs of children :D

I drive a TDI* but meh, I've driven petrol before and will again :)

I never understood why VW did the whole 'red' TDI thing. In fact I thought it was exclusive to VW until a couple of days ago when I saw an ten year old A4 with a red I at the end of the TDI!

From this thread it seems as though it was purely down to the car spec!! Strange.

*but don't hang around playgrounds taking photos of kids :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Read this forum enough and you will soon realise that most of the regulars drive/wish they drove BMW petrols. VAG Diesels are ananthema to them but BMW diesels are (somehow) slightly more palatable :)

So driving a front-wheel drive car, that also happens to be diesel is akin to telling these people that at the weekends you like to hang around playgrounds taking photographs of children :D

I drive a TDI* but meh, I've driven petrol before and will again :)

I never understood why VW did the whole 'red' TDI thing. In fact I thought it was exclusive to VW until a couple of days ago when I saw an ten year old A4 with a red I at the end of the TDI!

From this thread it seems as though it was purely down to the car spec!! Strange.

*but don't hang around playgrounds taking photos of kids :pac:

Because VW and Audi are owned by the same parent company, Volkswage Audi Group or VAG and share alot of common parts. An Audi RS4 TDi is well known as a weapon of mass destruction.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Because VW and Audi are owned by the same parent company, Volkswage Audi Group or VAG and share alot of common parts.

I know they are part of the same group but I can't believe how the marketing departments thought it was a good idea to use the red TDI moniker across both brands! Bad idea and I'm sure the Brand (both Audi and VW brands) managers were really pissed at the marketing managers when that suggestion was carried through :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I know they are part of the same group but I can't believe how the marketing departments thought it was a good idea to use the red TDI moniker across both brands! Bad idea and I'm sure the Brand (both Audi and VW brands) managers were really pissed at the marketing managers when that suggestion was carried through :D

It was originally to show the difference between say a 90 brake and a 110 brake 1.9 tdi...but then some sad disillusioned idiots thought they had to make their car look like the better one and went down to their local Halfords and just bought them...

EPM wrote: »
    It was originally to show the difference between say a 90 brake and a 110 brake 1.9 tdi...but then some sad disillusioned idiots thought they had to make their car look like the better one and went down to their local Halfords and just bought them...

It's always the same ins't it? Worst thing is when people then do that to deliberately try to sell the car on as if it's more powerful than it is!

Read this forum enough and you will soon realise that VAG had the coloured letters to denote power output.

Essentially the same 4 cylinder 1.9 TDI was used across so many cars from VAG as we know but there were different outputs.

My car is an all silver TDI from 2000 so thats the 90hp. The TDI would be 110 and TDI would be 130. The same went for the Audi's of the VE era.

The only confusing thing would be when VAG introduced the PD's. Different power outputs but same colour coding idea.

Im still not sure if the TDI actually exists or whether that's some silly idiot replacing the badge. Id only think thats slightly ok if he or she remapped a 130 (VE) or 150(PD) TDI. Still, thats pushing it.

Advertisement