Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big fire on Howth?

Options
  • 17-05-2010 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Coming home there noticed quite a large fire on Howth, not too sure of the exact location but took over quite a large area.

Anyone got any news on it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

it could be gorse fires

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

gorse burning ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It's a huge fire. Several fire trucks already and a few sped by me on the coast road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

can see the flames from donaghmede....looks like it's coming from the cliffs above deer park..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

yes my first impression was it was Deer Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Leejo

Mine too. It's huge. Anyone out that way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Wonderwall

I looked out my window and saw smoke a while back, assumed it was a fire. I live on the other side of Howth so i wasn't sure. Probably should have called the fire brigade myself :P

I leave in a 3rd story apartment with a clear view of howth...seems to be getting bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Crazy not much posts on this! Must be gorse or it would have hit the news, because its an extremely large fire.

Looks to have been put out......no hedlines tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

No biggy if it's gorse, I remember trundling up howth cliffs years ago and stumbling across a hose, connected to a generator, and eventually meeting the fireman connected to that. :P

Happens a few times a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Went to Deer Park to see if you could see what it was from the car park up in the Golf course, but the Gardai had the road blocked off, from about half way up. And I doubt that they would be driving fire trucks on a Golf course either. So I think it might have been the hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Someone posted a youtube clip of it:

And I took a few pics myself from the coast road at Bayside, though I had had a few drinks so I wasn't really able to keep still:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=114258&stc=1&d=1274169459

Then I tried to steady myself by bracing against a wall and it got a little better:

attachment.php?attachmentid=114259&stc=1&d=1274169459

Then I realised that the photos looked real trippy so I took one of a fire truck speeding by:

attachment.php?attachmentid=114260&stc=1&d=1274169459

So in sumamry, In future I shouldn't drink on weeknights just in case I'm required to take photos of anything

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

brilliant :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Yeah, gorse mainly, to the south and a bit west of the GAA club (Loughoreen Hills area) where the poker game was not stopped.

Counted around 7/8 fire tenders going up from where we were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 darrenor

ye, it was pretty bloody big. i stood at the bottom of St Peter's terrace watching it. i counted 9 units coming into howth. Was it the rhododendrons behind deerpark? heard nothin on the news this morn and this thread is about all i found on google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

msg11 wrote: »
    Went to Deer Park to see if you could see what it was from the car park up in the Golf course, but the Gardai had the road blocked off, from about half way up. And I doubt that they would be driving fire trucks on a Golf course either. So I think it might have been the hotel.

They actually did have the tenders on the course. There were 4 of them pumping in a line from one to the next up the hill presumably from the resevoir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Managed to get some pics....

Flash on

30869_429128645882_554565882_6264926_5472137_n.jpg

Flash Off...

30869_429128610882_554565882_6264924_4319381_n.jpg

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Thats strange. I saw smoke coming from what seemed to be from Bull Wall beach the other day. Wonder are the two related. Was the fire started maliciously in Howth. I do know cars are sometimes left at the bottom of the cliffs I saw one there once.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I saw the fire on Bull Island too. Don't think it was related - twas during the day.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement