Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer powering up & down

• 17-05-2010 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone can give some insight on this problem.
    Shutdown my PC lastnight (on a laptop now) but hit the sleep button instead.

The computer started to boot up & then shut down over & over.
    Unplugged it, turned back on.. it booted up & shut down after 3 seconds.

It isn't getting to any kind of DOS screen, the power lights are just turning on, the screen is staying in standby like it isn't picking up anything from the tower.

I left it overnight, turned it on after 20 hrs of being unplugged, it turned on for 3 seconds, went off for 3 seconds, back on.. etc
    Still no DOS screen.

I checked all the cables leading to the power supply, which all appear to be perfectly connected still (power is going perfectly to all fans & LEDs).

Had a similar problem with a burnt out graphics card before, so I removed the current graphics card, same issue.

Tried another hard drive, same issue.
    Disconnected & reconnected all internal cables, same issue.

System stats:
    Corisir620w power supply
    ATI Radeon 7 series graphics card
    2.2 GHz quad core processor
    4GB DDR RAM

I suspect its some sort of issue with my power supply, but there appears to be no physical damage to it (burns, stains, warping).

I currently have exhausted all the ideas I can come up with.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

Had the same problem, was overheating for me. Try new thermal paste on your processor fan, and give the case a good clean, check your fans are functioning? got me sorted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Try re-setting the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery and shorting out the pins and holding the power button (obviously while the computer is unplugged).

If that doesn't work then try booting up with the minimal number of components, ie cpu and 1 stick of RAM to see if the computer makes it past POST. If it does then just keep adding components until it stops booting again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,236 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Groinshot wrote: »
    Had the same problem, was overheating for me. Try new thermal paste on your processor fan, and give the case a good clean, check your fans are functioning? got me sorted!
    After 3 seconds though? I understand when you get to the OS load-up screen, when the CPU is under load, but 3 seconds into boot you arent even past POST and the HDD hasnt even had a chance to initialize.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭HereticPrincess

Try re-setting the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery and shorting out the pins and holding the power button (obviously while the computer is unplugged).

If that doesn't work then try booting up with the minimal number of components, ie cpu and 1 stick of RAM to see if the computer makes it past POST. If it does then just keep adding components until it stops booting again.

Everything seems to be up & running now, thank you so much for the suggestion (:
    And to others who commented too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Everything seems to be up & running now, thank you so much for the suggestion (:
    And to others who commented too!

You very welcome, glad it's all sorted. I think this solution has helped two people today as well :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

Overheal wrote: »
    After 3 seconds though? I understand when you get to the OS load-up screen, when the CPU is under load, but 3 seconds into boot you arent even past POST and the HDD hasnt even had a chance to initialize.

oops, my bad, I thought it said 30..... :S
    Glad someone was able to help you out though OP :)

Advertisement