Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scientific computing/mathematical modelling

Options
  • 17-05-2010 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi,

A little background first, im chemical engineering undergrad and thinking of doing a masters in scientific computing/mathematical modelling when I've finished my degree. I have been looking around and found a few programs around but I still have a few questions and am hoping someone knowledgeable in the field could help me out and enlighten me on a few things;

Would a chem eng background be a good undergrad to move into scientific computing ?
    I dont have a huge computing background (a bit of VB and some matlab) would this be a problem ?
    I've been looking at several different unis (ucc ucd etc) who offer a program in the field but cant find huge differences, is one recognised as being "better" in the field over the others ?
    I have also looked at trinitys high performance computing masters, would this be similar to the Scientific computing/mathematical modelling masters on offer in ucc/ucd and if its different, what would be the main differences ?

I've gone on a bit of a ramble there, but if anyone could answer any of my questions that would be hugely appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mrac

no thoughts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

mrac wrote: »
    Hi,

A little background first, im chemical engineering undergrad and thinking of doing a masters in scientific computing/mathematical modelling when I've finished my degree. I have been looking around and found a few programs around but I still have a few questions and am hoping someone knowledgeable in the field could help me out and enlighten me on a few things;

Would a chem eng background be a good undergrad to move into scientific computing ?
    I dont have a huge computing background (a bit of VB and some matlab) would this be a problem ?
    I've been looking at several different unis (ucc ucd etc) who offer a program in the field but cant find huge differences, is one recognised as being "better" in the field over the others ?
    I have also looked at trinitys high performance computing masters, would this be similar to the Scientific computing/mathematical modelling masters on offer in ucc/ucd and if its different, what would be the main differences ?

I've gone on a bit of a ramble there, but if anyone could answer any of my questions that would be hugely appreciated.
    Thanks

Yes, chemical engineering would be pretty beneficial alright in scientific computing.
    It depends, you'll find it trickier at the beginning but I doubt you're the only one so it won't be a major problem, minor stumbling block.
    It depends on what you're after, what would you like to research, i.e. what can you see yourself doing a thesis on? Email lecturers, tell them what you're thinking of doing and would this course be worth doing.
    I'm not sure of the main differences, from a cursory browse at TCD course, it's more or less similar to the stuff done in UCD e.g. drug dissolution research in TCD and the same in UCD. I haven't done computer science so this is the best I can offer, hope that helps!

Advertisement