Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laurel hedge turning Yellow - in sections??!!

Options
  • 17-05-2010 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

I've a Laurel hedge around the garden - circa 100 metres. There are 2 sections that have turned quite yellow and some have indeed died.

I got advice to apply sequestered iron and applied it to roots and foliage a month ago. Didn't really seem to work. I've moved some trees from one end to close the gap left by trees that died, and they appear to be turning yellow now. These got a good dose of sequestered iron to the roots when I moved them.

Strange thing is that most of the hedge is rich and deep green - with 2 sections appearing to be quite "ill".

Looking for advice on this one - I really don't want the recently moved trees to die and need to diagnose the problem. Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Folks

Anyone got any suggestions on this one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Sounds like a problem with the soil in that area rather than a mineral deficiency. What's the drainage like? Maybe post a few pics of the plants in situ.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

Laurels are evergreen so they are never dormant, so when transplanting them, you need to ensure that you take as much soil with the roots as possible so as not to disturb the plant too much. Some plants tend to sulk sometimes after transplanting, so give it time, water and feed it, and it should be ok. For the yellow leaves, it could be not enough moisture so water and feed it. Add a mulch around the base to keep in that moisture in also. To help encourage new growth, try watering it with some Epsom Salts. This will help the leave to grow after about 2 weeks.
    Cheers
    Mike

Advertisement