Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless G/N routers

• 17-05-2010 11:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone else has come across issues with routers that broadcast in wireless-G and N simultaneously?

First case is a friend of mine who has an refurbished Dell Latitude with a clean install of Windows XP Pro. He's been using 54Mbps wireless connected to his silver Eircom Netopia router for a year, everything working perfectly.
    Later on his Eircom router packs it in and he get's one of the new black Eircom routers that broadcasts in wireles-G and N. The Dell laptop works perfectly on the new router with the new wireless password entered.

The same week he buys a brand new Toshiba laptop with Windows 7 which has a wireless-N receiver, the new laptop connected to the new N-router but regularly drops the signal every 1min or so, as in it fogets the IP it has and the router pushes out a new one. Tried everything I could think of on the router, from setting it G-only, choosing a non-overlapping channel, checking for wireless interference, etc.. But the only thing that got the new Toshiba working properly on the wireless was to get rid of the new Eircom G/N router, and get an old working Netopia router that only broadcast in G.

Second scenario is a friend who has a 2year old Toshiba laptop running Windows Vista connected wirelessly using G-standard to a Perlico supplied router. Everything working perfectly. Then the router stops working and they get one of the new white Vodafone Echolife routers that can broadcast in G and N. The Vista laptop connected to the new wireless signal and internet working perfectly.

The following week they get two brand new Toshiba laptops running Windows 7 with N-receivers built in. The two laptops can see the Vodafone wireless signal, accept the wireless code and can get an IP address at 150Mbps, but neither of them actually can get online; yet you can ping the router address 192.168.1.1 and browse the http config page. But times out trying to connect to any website. Occassionally for some random reason every few mins the internet will come back working at normal speed, and then time out again after a few minutes of use. Yet while all this is happening the older Toshiba laptop with Vista, is still working perfectly on the wireless-G.

What seemed to improve things on the Vodafone router was turning off the WPA password temporarily, but obviously can't leave the router open..

I myself use Windows 7 at home on a PC with a wireless connection to a Netgear G-only router and never have any issues at all, so to me the routers seem to be the problem rather than the OS. Has anyone else had a similar issue with G and N in the same house and if so did you find a resolution?

Advertisement