Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Fanore

• 17-05-2010 11:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭

I've lifted this of LBI a surfing forum
    The county coucil has just errected a 2m barrier preventing access to the fanore car park area. This has not only prevented a lot of local people and beach users from accessing the beach (as some of them only have a van or jeep) but has already proven to be a hazard today.
    Lots of tourist buses and mini buses stop at the beach and are now simply parking on the busy main road, as well as attempting to reverse on the road.
    Additionaly the guys running the surf school can't even access their shack as all they have is van and jeeps. The car par is the only parking space in the area, this will cause major road issues.

I've sent a mail to clare county coucil as well as the local coucillors and can only encourage to you do the same:
    secretar@clarecoco.ie
    info@clarecoco.ie

This is the local heroes:
    http://www.clarecoco.ie/your-council/conta...ors/ennistymon/

Appatently Clare CoCo have put in some parking bays for campers down by the bach - ho and a 2 m barrier to stop van's jeaps and campers from getting it - nice isn't it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If this sort of nonsens continues, my next "camper" is going to look like this:
    unimog-mieten.jpg
    and I'll just drive round the barriers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

peasant wrote: »
    and I'll just drive round the barriers :D

With an auld unimog you could hook it up and take it with you!

Check out this one .. very sexy!

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/la/look/look-small-space-livingin-a-garbage-truck-061030

http://www.unicatamericas.com/photos_ex70.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I spent a night there last year (or year before...) and the way some people had behaved was sickening - they moved the rocks to gain access the grass dunes, lit a huge fire, threw diesel on it, littered the entire area, got very drunk, started fighting amongst themselves at 1:00AM and then one drove off in a drunken rage. Nice family (yes kids too). :rolleyes:

The thing is they were all in cars, and the few people that were there in campers treated the area with respect. What will the barriers do to stop this?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭dutchgoldtony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Clare is becoming like Co Waterford - very camper-unfriendly.
    KB's everywhere (err.... "height-restriction barriers"...) - they have cut off both ends of Kilkee now - barriers at Pollock Holes and Georges's Head.

It's a perception thing too - most camper owners I have seen will leave the place a bit cleaner than it was when they arrived - but for local politicians it's easier and safer to blame dem campers from Away than the local tearaways having a drunken night, and the older go****es who were brought up to believe that parking in a beauty spot and tipping your rubbish out of the car window is a basic human right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

This is just something that struck me reading about Fanore and height barriers in places generally. Slightly off topic but I will just put it out there anyway.

It's viewed as acceptable to park a MH overnight in a public place but not to put up a tent or park a caravan?? Is this the case?? I have no opinion either way (yet). :confused: What would be the general concensus on the above?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

*Kol* wrote: »

It's viewed as acceptable to park a MH overnight in a public place but not to put up a tent or park a caravan?? Is this the case?? I have no opinion either way (yet). :confused: What would be the general concensus on the above?

I don't know if it is "acceptable" - I think it's just that nobody is quite sure if you ARE parked there overnight or if you are just late getting back to the van! And you will probably be up and away before they get a chance to see you again next day. When I am forced to park somewhere "public" like down a residential sideroad or something (say waiting for a ferry), I tend to do it discreetly and not put the silvered blinds up in the cab and so on. Same applies if in the far end of a pub carpark.
    Only thing I have to remember next morning is not to hop out of bed and put on the kettle while stark naked - just in case anyone is out walking the dog and gets an unexpected eyeful!

Advertisement