Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy Computer

Options
  • 17-05-2010 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭

My computer is pretty noisy and it gets on my nerves, I'm finally getting around to doing something about it. Its a self build I put together about 2 years ago. The source of the noise is the fans, and I'm trying to narrow down which fan it is so I can replace it.

The fans in it are:
    80mm Stock processor fan for a AMD Athlon 63x2
    120mm Case fan at rear
    100mm Case fan at front
    Power Unit fans of which I think there is two, although can be treated as one unit
    I'm pretty sure its not the case fans as I've stopped these with finger and hasn't made much of a difference, so that leaves processor fan and power source.

First off is there anyway of isolating these so can just hear one of the fans to see where main source of noise is.
    Secondly can anyone advise of some nice quiet fans and power sources.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

you could open the case and plug out the case fans one at a time. Leave the case open once you do though, to keep some sort of air coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

you could open the case and plug out the case fans one at a time. Leave the case open once you do though, to keep some sort of air coming in.

I don't know why I never thought of that, brain must be gone to sleep or something, cheers.

So after some more investigation turns out a lot of the noise is from the processor fan, which I have to admit kinda surprises me. I still might look at getting a new power source as it wasn't exactly silent either. Was thinking maybe something like this.
    But if anyone can suggest a nice quiet not too expensive power source I'd appreciate it, just have a 450w in atm and no need for anything much more.

So the processor fan, first off its actually 70mm not 80mm, I'm kinda wondering could the noise be due to air flowing through heatsink as opposed to fan itself, bit late now but I might try take fan off the heatsink and see, let you know how it goes tomorrow.

In the meant time any suggestions of particularly quiet fans much appreciated.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

is there any buildup of dust on the heatsink/fan?

There is a bit alright, I'll have a go of cleaning it off a bit see will that make much difference. I think I've a can of compressed air around somewhere which should do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

How are the fans powered? Are the plugged into the motherboard or directly to a molex?

• Advertisement

Ok so I cleaned out the dust from the Heatsink and there is still a fair bit of noise.
    I've narrowed the source of most of the noise down to the processor fan, even off the heatsink its noisy enough. Next up is the power supply, so I might end up changing the two of them.

Is it possible to change the heatsink on a processor or does the conductive paste that would have been on the original harden and bond the processor and heatsink together.
    If possible can anyone advise of some nice quiet option for me without spending an arm and a leg. Would something like this do the job. I've no need for the really higher spec stuff as plan no overclocking.

The processor fan is connected to motherboard with a little 4 pin plug and case fan is to Molex

Never heard of that brand before so I can't say

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/13_COOLERS/03_CPU/productdetails/10021605/Cooler_Master_Hyper_212_Plus_CPU_Cooler/RR-B10-212P-GP/default.aspx this would do the trick. I have it in a media PC at home now, quiet, cheap and cheerful.

When replacing the heatsink+fan, it's just a case of removing the brackets (pin or screw, depends what you have), cleaning down the paste on the CPU chip, and reapplying the new paste that comes with that new CPU cooler (new paste normally comes with all new CPU coolers)

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

I think dust and age are making my external DVD r / rw unit noisy. Who in south Dublin could strip it & see? Thanks, people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I built a quiet PC a number of years ago with a silent 600W PSU, just had a large heatsink that stuck out the back. Tagan also used to do PSUs with large fans. Large fans generally spin slower and therefore make less noise. You can also use rubber mountings for the fans that'll stop vibration.

Advertisement