Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Training wheel or tyre?

• 17-05-2010 11:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭

Good evening people....

I have just ordered a trainer from CRC and as its my 1st I was looking for a little advice. I know there's nothing like getting out there and cycling on the open road and taking in the views while feeling the lactic acid burn up your thighs while climbing the hills of wherever.... However I am fully aware that this glorious weather we've been having certainly ain't gonna last all year. Hence... the purchase of the trainer.

So, I'm thinking that if I'm to use the trainer quite a bit at home, then my rear tyre will be worn to bits while my front stays in good condition. So for any of you out there who have dealt with this in the past, is it better just to get a spare rear wheel for training with? or would I simply get a training tyre that I could swap over and back when training at home or out on the road?

Do any of you have recommendations on what wheel/tyre to go for? I'm not after anything "state of the art", just something that'll be suffice to get me through training etc.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

The only reason to choose between a tyre or wheel is cost. After all you will have to buy a separate wheel and tyre, probably a cassette too if you want to make it a quick change over. A turbo specific tyre will help with noise and since they are made of a harder wearing rubber, last longer.

Tacx and continental both make turbo tyres.

Getting back to the wheel, if you want one (swapping tyres can be a pain), either buy the cheapest one you can (make sure it is compatible with your groupset) or look for bargain second hand ones. Weight, strength, etc. aren't important so don't go looking for fancy wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭CarlosK

DirkVoodoo,

Thanks for the quick reply, I never thought about having to buy a compatable cassette with a wheel, so that'd bump up the ol price a bit alright. I cant see myself buying a training wheel and swapping the cassette from one to the other everytime I want to use the trainer, so either I go with the tyre alone, or I get the whole works with the wheel... time to start the research again. I think one of the tyres you mentioned will be purchased anyway, so the only other thing to decide is wether to go with the whole setup or to change the tyre only each time. Decisions decisions decisions....

How come decisions always involve spending more money???

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I think you need a separate wheel, with tyre and cassette. The tyres are quite a hassle to swap, I wouldn't be doing it regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

If its such a hassle/expense, why not just change the tyre when worn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Bluefoam wrote: »
    If its such a hassle/expense, why not just change the tyre when worn?

You'll destroy nice tyres in no time on a trainer, whereas the trainer tyres last much longer.

Having a complete spare wheel is useful anyway, saves hassle if you need to get your other one serviced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭CarlosK

I think I'll be going down the full new wheel setup as advised by some of you. As suggested, it'd be no harm having a spare wheel just in case any little accidents occur.

As I'm hoping the fine weather lasts a bit longer, this will give me the time to get a bit more cash together to finance this new wheel and have it setup to the spec of my own bike... its all fun... thanks again everyone for the help and suggestions.

Advertisement