Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tyre Question

• 17-05-2010 11:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭

Yesterday I noticed my right handside front tyre had a slight bulge in it. Chanced driving down Dublin to Limerick, no problem there even at speeds of 120/130 km/h. No change in the bulge. Went to local tyre place that said I would need it replaced straight away, but they previously told me to change all my tyres and one of their staff said I didnt. A mate of mine has said his gf has a bulge and has been driving on it for months, and that his brother in law, has a fairly big one and has been driving on it for months and he drives a lot what with being a director.

What should I do? Get it replaced (even though its practically brand new) or leave it, monitor it and change if its increases in size?

Also what tyre would you suggest (currently have Pirelli) and where would be the best to buy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would not take the chance, the sidewall has been compromised meaning there is a higher chance of a blowout. For the sake of the cost of a new tyre versus your life or others, its a no brainer. Also it is recommended to keep the brand and tyre thread the same per axel so try and get another Pirelli.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Tyres are something I would never take a risk with, replace rather than regret! Also don't skimp on some piece of crap cheap tyre, I have firestones on my car and have never had an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Your tire will burst eventually if you don't change it soon, better hope it doesn't go when your cruising down the motorway at 120km/h :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Cheers lads - where is the best to buy tyres - some of the sites dont work out as being cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Mc Love wrote: »
    Cheers lads - where is the best to buy tyres - some of the sites dont work out as being cheaper

If you are in the Limerick area then I recommend Limerick Tyre Centre in Fentons Yard, opposite the ex-Peugeot dealer out in Raheen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I wouldn't drive on it again full stop. It's a no brainer. Put your spare on and replace the tyre like for like.

Best thing to do is ring everywhere for a price - you'd be suprised how competitive some tyre places can be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

EPM wrote: »
    I wouldn't drive on it again full stop. It's a no brainer. Put your spare on and replace the tyre like for like.

Best thing to do is ring everywhere for a price - you'd be suprised how competitive some tyre places can be.

+1

P.S. You seem to know a lot of people with 'big bulges' OP!:p

bazz26 wrote: »
    If you are in the Limerick area then I recommend Limerick Tyre Centre in Fentons Yard, opposite the ex-Peugeot dealer out in Raheen.

Thanks Bazz

Tyre ordered with MW Tyres - should have it in by Thursday, they said it should be ok to drive until then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Mc Love wrote: »
    gf has a bulge and has been driving on it for months,
    and
    .... brother in law, has a fairly big one

I lol'd

pa990 wrote: »
    I lol'd

...at your face :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

bazz26 wrote: »

Just got four new tyres there about two weeks ago. Amazing prices, good service and amazing prices. Did I mention amazing prices?
    I nearly dropped when he told me the price per corner. Lets put it this way compared to Advance (ya pricey I know) I saved about 100 per corner (Conti Sport Contact 3's from advance Vs Goodyear Eagle F1 GDS 3's from Limerick Tyre Centre). And yes I have fond memories of Eagle F1's from my days in the Curpa :).

I will be going back there again.

Advertisement