Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Comedy Night Venues?

• 18-05-2010 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi All,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm looking to set up a one-off comedy night for a charity event I'll be doing later in the summer (details of which I cant put up YET)...
    But, ill be needing to find a pub or venue in dublin which might be suitable? I dont live in Dublin at the minute, so cant run about checking the pubs in the area. Im also fairly clueless when it comes to setting up this kind of event! So, any help you can give would be massively appreciated.

Any of the pubs I would usually 'attend' would have their own comedy nights midweek, so Im at a loss for finding one which would probably not have one on. If anyone has had luck setting this kind of thing up in the past, any help would be appreciated! I know the venue would need to meet certain standards, but what those standards are, im unsure.

and in the words of donnie tourettes...mucho mucho love-o!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭Damon Blake

People have run charity shows in the Sugar Club, could not tell you what their rates are, I guess it depends on how much of the venue you guarantee to fill out.

www.thesugarclub.com

Or the Laughter Lounge, same deal:

http://www.laughterlounge.com/charityfundraiders.htm

Those venues would be if you're expecting 60-200 people at your shows.

If you're just looking for a pub for a smaller crowd to do it in I've gigged for boards.ie twice at Cassidy's in Dublin on Westmoreland St, which is a nice bar even if the walls are awkwardly arranged, dividing the crowd in two. I don't think they have anything on Wednesdays.

Oh!
    Peader Kearney's
    64 Dame Street
    Dublin 2
    Phone: +353 1 6753971

I bombed at a gig here a couple of weeks ago, but it's a really nice venue and as long as the sound system is working it's perfect if you're looking for a crowd of 30-50 people. It was to raise money against climate change so if we have a cold summer you have myself to blame for not doing well.

Finally, Bewleys Theatre is actually a very nice venue that is rarely used for comedy, I had a lovely gig there two years ago for a charity show. I think they charge a fee to use the venue though? May be why people don't use it. Also, I hope you enjoy stairs:

http://www.bewleyscafetheatre.com

Hope that helps,
    D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 iownaface

Cheers Damon,

That's exactly what I needed. I had thought about Peaders, cos its actually a nice pub- and I suspected they had a venue- but didnt know how useful it wouldve been.
    Numbers wise- its one of those events that I'd like to make as big as possible, but would rather do one small night, and possibly add a second later on if it proved a success. Id say 50 people would be a nice amount, again wanting to make it not just my mates, but aiming also not to pick a venue that doesnt fill. I expect with most charity events it tends to be the 'colleagues and friends' of the organisers?or is there a publicity tactic im missing? I know the proper midweek venues draw a good crowd, i reckon i need a gimmick? all acts must be nude, and perform only in mime! by gum ive got it!
    I think ill give Bewleys and Peaders a look- and try figure a way to pay as absolute little as possible for it! Not really to the point of a charity night if we lose all the cash to the venue!

As for the climate change... I left the tv on overnight yesterday... we should head for the hills, there could be a backlash!

thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭Damon Blake

If you make an Open Event page on Facebook other people will see your friends attending and might want to go, or your friends can invite people.

Depends on what the charity you're raising money for is, you'll usually find they have their own mailing lists who they could let people know about. Or put posters in the venue, that way people who pop in for a drink will see it and might be interested (everybody uses the bathrooms so if you can put a poster in there you're in luck). There's also event listings online for Dublin, hostels where you could stick up a sign or I know when I'm bored and waiting for someone I start reading poster boards to see what is on around town.

Adding spot prizes or a raffle on a poster is an incentive for people to go and if you email companies looking for prizes you can grab a bottle of wine or a free dinner from places, it's good for them in the community and is free advertising.

Finally, it's up to you but considering you're bringing 50 people in to drink at a bar, generally for places you shouldn't pay to use the space if you're choosing a night they don't have anything else booked in, especially if it's for charity. Those are 50 people who might come back and drink again.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 iownaface

Cheers,
    Hope to sort the venue early next week, and plaster the place with posters etc. Is there anything facebook cant do, aside from 'allow me to avoid people i never liked'?
    Hope to actually get full sign off to start using the charities name, and start collecting etc... ill just say, it has a fair bit to do with testicles/breasts... and has links with an irish boyband :)
    If all goes smoothly, i may look to sort a second night after the actual event... trying to avoid just asking people for cash... and who doesnt want more comedy nights? (aside from those currently running comedy nights).
    It just a bit short notice to be tryin to sort out stuff! cheers for the help- all seems fairly doable... ill probably be back in with more requests and questions in the next 3 weeks!!

Advertisement