Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spammer and Sigpo notification thread?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

KevIRL wrote: »
    SOTS I declare shennanigans on your sig reporting. After a run in with monkey59 you reported his sig, when he mentioned this on the SF off topic thread you told him to "take his beating like a man" before quickly ninja editing your post.

A sure sign that your motives behind at least some of your reports are to settle scores.
    Its Monkey 69. KevIrl. That was resolved KevIrl so dont know why you are bringing it back up tbh. There has been no trouble since.
    And re settling scores do you want me to be bring up every poster who settled a score with me re the sigpo thread and sigs. Dont think that would help.
    We go down the route of bringing up past offences on both sides and we will be here all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Are you really trying the defense of "but they did it too/first"?
    That doesn't fly with my 10 year old never mind a grown adult.
    I don't care who did what and who did what first, it stops.

Dragging issues from one forum into others and abusing the systems which are put in place to ensure people to ensure people enjoy the site is frankly keeping to the letter of the law while buggering the spirit of it in the arse with a rusty chain saw. It's not clever its petty and selfishly impacting on the use and enjoyment of the site by other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

That was resolved KevIrl

The score was settled?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The score was settled?
    No Xavi.It was resolved. There were a few problems with the sig and it was evenutally sorted..
    Im sure you have done your fair share of mediation as a mod and as such you would agree that where stuff it resolved is should stay resolved.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Seems this thread needs to get back on topic :)

As was pointed out to me by a very annoyed user in the Sigpo thread that I had reported over 59 sigs. I've never gone looking for sigs but if I find one that is way too big I will report it, however, if it a pixel too big et al I wouldn't report it.

What irks me though is users who have been on the site for years still moan about the sig rules when their sig gets chopped. Rules are there for a reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Who's worse, the person who reports a sig that's only 1 or 2 pixels over or, the Admin who doesn't use their discretion and leave it be just for the sake of a pixel or two? :p

This just a suggestion but where a poster is unsure about his sig he/she should take following steps.
    Cut and paste the text when he is doing up sig and save it to a text document should it need to be modified where there are more than one image involved
    Two. click on the image and check for kb size. Where it is a large size it may well be it was saved in wrong format.
    The third one and this seems like a good one is for for posters to submit new sigs for approval where they are borderline in terms of size and content.
    A poster should know himself what goes and that seems to be problem here. Some seem to be totally stumped when post is reported but most of us know when a sig is too big or is inappropriate.
    There was one image I posted awhile back and knew pretty much straight away it was too big and on advice from another poster via pm I changed it. Poster was very good with the pm. Was friendly advice and I took it as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

At the risk of being told that 'this isn't the issue', howabouts, SOTS, you stop reporting sigs to the sigpo. You know, just as an experiment. Then we'll see how much issue there is here?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Bonito wrote: »
    Who's worse, the person who reports a sig that's only 1 or 2 pixels over or, the Admin who doesn't use their discretion and leave it be just for the sake of a pixel or two? :p
    Easy. Admin. They have the finally say.

OK. So those who go nuts when they're sig is deleted just because it was a kb or 2 over shouldn't relay it on to the person who reported it. Yes it was too big but the Admin (whoever actually snips the sigs) should look at it and think "Hmmm, reporting a sig that's only a kb or 2 over, I'll leave it be, the poster must be reporting it out of spite/revenge".

Rather than delete the sig, the Admin should come down hard on the person who reported it out of a personal gripe with the user.

• Advertisement

Easy. Admin. They have the finally say.
    And in saying that, its the admins decision. Where a poster has his sig snibbed, he goes back and changes it /. Its a bit of the pavlovs dog scenario but poster eventually gets to know what goes and what doesn't.
    As mentioned above in my previous post, some posters who use multiple images may need to swipe the format text in edit sig tab and save it via text doc and that way its easier to change if lets just say one part of the sig takes it over the limit.
    Otherwise you have to start from scratch again.

Well I personally think that people who report sigs that are only a kb or two over the limit should be pulled up by the Admin. Rather than them mindlessly snipping them when they're reported.

OK. So those who go nuts when they're sig is deleted just because it was a kb or 2 over shouldn't relay it on to the person who reported it. Yes it was too big but the Admin (whoever actually snips the sigs) should look at it and think "Hmmm, reporting a sig that's only a kb or 2 over, I'll leave it be, the poster must be reporting it out of spite/revenge".

Rather than delete the sig, the Admin should come down hard on the person who reported it out of a personal gripe with the user.

Well yes if they are being reported out of spite and only a kb or pixel too big and the Admin has proof that it is is out of spite then by all means issue a warning.

You'd have to be pretty sad or have a gripe with someone to report their sig if it were only a kb or two over. Just because SIGPO is there doesn't mean posters can't think for themselves and use a bit of common sense not to report such sigs.

You'd have to be pretty sad or have a gripe with someone to report their sig if it were only a kb or two over. Just because SIGPO is there doesn't mean posters can't think for themselves and use a bit of common sense not to report such sigs.
    And I agreed with you. Did you read my post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

I've had a sig deleted and wasn't happy about it ,but thats the rules ...

What annoys me is that boards allows large sigs in the first place.

Can the site not have a frame on a sig design page and a kilobyte limit for the file.
    Then people won't be able to over the size or file limit.

Not your ninja'd one but I read the original in my email alerts. ;)

Not your ninja'd one but I read the original in my email alerts. ;)
    Hmm, can't remember now what I posted first but I'll take your word for it :)

Hmm, can't remember now what I posted first but I'll take your word for it :)
    It's cool I have it in my emails.
    Well yes if they are being reported out of spite and only a kb or pixel too big and the Admin has proof that it is is out of spite then by all means issue a warning.
    This above post originally said:
    Not everyone who reports a sig has a gripe.
    I for one have never had a gripe.
    Re the Admin coming down hard that would not be right.
    The Admin should just simply tell the person who reported it that it will be not be snipped as its only a kb and in future no need to report those type of sigs.

I'm glad you edited it because I agree with the edit. :pac:

The issue here is how do we cut back on the sigs being reported. So given the discussion, the following updates to sig rules should be put up for consideration.
    1. Where the sig size is borderline it stays (say 10 px each side and 1kb over)
    2. Posters should take it upon themselves to measure the sig themselves before posting. The onus is on them at the end of the day to make sure it meets the requirement. Some just dont do it.
    3. Given that image height is roughly 6 to eight lines in height, that should be the limit. Not an image coupled with lets say three lines of text which then adds to the height.
    4. A restriction on the amount of images to be placed. Would keep it to three myself and if possible to roughly the same size.
    5. A poster should have the ability to report sig where he feels the sig is an eyesore and where a good reason is provided. Mod can then decide on that one himself.
    6. If sig rules are updated, posters names should not be allowed in a posters sig or what he says.
    7. Where a group of posters use a particular sort of graphic for their sig and where it is within the 10px limit either side these should be allowed to stand.

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Sigpo has a long tradition on boards and never has caused this much strife,
    if it's being hijacked and abused for petty reasons then those who do it should suffer a weeks site ban for "being a dick" imho.

The system works, if it's being abused then stop the arseholes doing it rather then scrapping it.

There has always been wiggle room with sigs, as along as they aren't huge, flashing animated or offensive being 2 or 3 pixels over was never a huge issue.
    Those that are making it so and putting up sigs which are that deliberately to shítstiir frankly need to find something better to do the same with those who are reporting those who are a tiny fraction over.

Sigpo goes back to the day of when the majority of people were on dial up and we didn't have the broadbrand packages we have to day, and it's also about taste and not being an eyesore, big stupid sigs can run a discussion site.

And no turning them off is not fair either as many sigs are works of art, part of the look of someones account and there have been many funny things in sigs, and links to intresting things and campaigns. The lack of all the the above as far as I am concerned would be a loss to the over all boards experience.

So please cop on, we are meant to be grown ups, don't be a dick about sigs.

Well said.

SOS, how can you agree with this statement if you have been found to be one of the people doing it as Kev has rightly pointed out? Have you forgotten about it already?

Sigpo has a long tradition on boards and never has caused this much strife,
    if it's being hijacked and abused for petty reasons then those who do it should suffer a weeks site ban for "being a dick" imho.

The system works, if it's being abused then stop the arseholes doing it rather then scrapping it.

There has always been wiggle room with sigs, as along as they aren't huge, flashing animated or offensive being 2 or 3 pixels over was never a huge issue.
    Those that are making it so and putting up sigs which are that deliberately to shítstiir frankly need to find something better to do the same with those who are reporting those who are a tiny fraction over.
    Sigpo goes back to the day of when the majority of people were on dial up and we didn't have the broadbrand packages we have to day, and it's also about taste and not being an eyesore, big stupid sigs can run a discussion site.

And no turning them off is not fair either as many sigs are works of art, part of the look of someones account and there have been many funny things in sigs, and links to intresting things and campaigns. The lack of all the the above as far as I am concerned would be a loss to the over all boards experience.
    So please cop on, we are meant to be grown ups, don't be a dick about sigs.

Kag to answer your question, Thanking these parts but take on board what thae says about reporting bordeline sigs.
    It has been ignored by a lot on here that I actually proposed that we acknowledge the work people put into their sigs by rewarding them in some way with sig of week and the core of this suggestion has since gone to feed forward public for proposal.
    Again not looking for a big gold medal for that one but at same time where posters and mods are looking for some retribution on A, they should also acknowlege when one makes a positive suggestion as mentioned above for B.

KaG you sig is actually too big :pac:

@Bonito -thanks for jogging my memory.

Spiritoftheseventies stop avoiding what is being asked of you.

Are you Spiritoftheseventies going to stop being a pedantice nitpicking pain in the arse about people's sigs?

Are you Spiritoftheseventies going to stop abusing the sigpo procedure to score points off people?

I dont' see how on earth you think it is fine to be pming people about thier sig and getting invovled in sigpo when people can't pm you back and ask questions due to you having pms turned off for most people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Are you expecting a straight answer Thaed? Good luck with that.
    The issue here is how do we cut back on the sigs being reported.

Well, um, you yourself could stop reporting sigs, that should stop about 75% of reports in one go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Spiritoftheseventies stop avoiding what is being asked of you.

Are you Spiritoftheseventies going to stop being a pedantice nitpicking git about people's sigs?

Are you Spiritoftheseventies going to stop abusing the sigpo procedure to score points off people?

I dont' see how on earth you think it is fine to be pming people about thier sig and getting invovled in sigpo when people can't pm you back and ask questions due to you having pms turned off for most people.
    We could all just stick him on ignore and that way we wouldnt get his pm's either :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Are you Spiritoftheseventies going to stop being a pedantice nitpicking git about people's sigs?

I think this is an unfair question - SOTS doesn't make the limits and if 1k over the limit is still fine, then increase the limit by 1k. I've no idea why he seems to be reporting so many sigs, but if they break the rules, they break the rules.

Des wrote: »
    Are you expecting a straight answer Thaed? Good luck with that.

Well, um, you yourself could stop reporting sigs, that should stop about 75% of reports in one go.
    Des as far as I can see you not only reported some sigs but did them in a rather strong way. Welcome back by the way.

Kiera wrote: »
    We could all just stick him on ignore and that way we wouldnt get his pm's either :D

Well I would not be surprise if I was on his ignore list now, he seems to prefer to ignore people who pull him up on his shítty behaviour, which prolly mean I am on his list of bullies now and there will be a heap of reported posts about me abusing him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

This thread is ridiculas......

SIGPO works, it's proven to work, except when idiots abuse it.....

Advertisement