Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speeding Query

• 18-05-2010 1:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before, if it was I couldn't find the thread :o

I was driving along last week and noticed a Garda with the hairdryer style speed cameras at the side of the road.
    I was going over the limit (stupid I know), my query is - if they clock you being over the limit do you automatically receive a speeding fine or do they need to follow you/pull you over to issue a speed ticket?

I know with the gatso's/fixed cameras its an automatic fine in the post, not sure if they need to get you to sign for the fine though.

If I am done, what is the current fee for speed tickets?

Thanks,

C :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

If it was "hairdryer" type, they have to come after you. If it was a box on a tripod, they dont.

Sounds like it was a hairdryer type and you are ok. What speed were you going?

FYI: Fine is €80 and 2 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Thanks a mill for the replies :)
    It was the handheld hairdryer in the car so fingers crossed I'm ok.

I was doing nearly 80 in a 50 so I would've well deserved to get the points :o
    I wouldn't mind but I'm a fairly slow driver at the best of times :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Aye afaik they will stop you to issue a fine and / or points with the handheld scanner. Count yourself lucky (as u seem to have done ) and always remember they were in that spot before!

How many times I must get beeped or flashed or overtaken when doing the limit on a nice strecth of road but with silly low speed limit! I see the guards there a few times and they are always just on the bend so you can't see them til it's too late. i have saved some people from getting points / fines just by doing the limit. Most of the time there's no guards there but every 2 - 3 months they seem to appear.

It's a 60 zone but no residental areas etc nearby leading onto the road. It is an annoying speed limit and I can see why people want me to go faster or to try over/undertake (there's a bus lane for a good bit of it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Yawns wrote: »
    Aye afaik they will stop you to issue a fine and / or points with the handheld scanner. Count yourself lucky (as u seem to have done ) and always remember they were in that spot before!

How many times I must get beeped or flashed or overtaken when doing the limit on a nice strecth of road but with silly low speed limit! I see the guards there a few times and they are always just on the bend so you can't see them til it's too late. i have saved some people from getting points / fines just by doing the limit. Most of the time there's no guards there but every 2 - 3 months they seem to appear.

It's a 60 zone but no residental areas etc nearby leading onto the road. It is an annoying speed limit and I can see why people want me to go faster or to try over/undertake (there's a bus lane for a good bit of it)
    rule of thumb is stay on the left or centre lanes. Right lane for the fast traffic as a rule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 eddiebarrett

Quote from Tommy Tiernan..."Crouching tiger, hidden Garda":D

rule of thumb is stay on the left or centre lanes. Right lane for the fast traffic as a rule.

The road I'm talking about has 2 lanes. 1 is a 24 hour bus lane in operation so only 1 driving lane. Therefore I cannot legally pull in and drive in the bus lane while all other traffic wants to break the speed limit. I can break the speed limit but seeing as I have seen guards there every 2 - 3 months I treat the road as if they're always there and I stick at 60 - 63 kph. Only ever a handheld scanner there anyway.

Right lane is for overtaking traffic only as a rule btw. Fast lanes do not exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Sorry to hijack the thread but I also have a query on a speeding ticket.

I was clocked by a Garda with a hairdryer doing 143 kph on the M6. I pulled in and he took my license and told me a fine will be in the post. Here are my questions:

1. I thought they gave you an on the spot fine when they pulled you over?
    2. How long does it take to get the ticket in the post?
    3. How long do you have to pay it?

The reason for the last two questions is that I will be out of the country from the 31st May -> 15th June.

Cheers!

The road I'm talking about has 2 lanes. 1 is a 24 hour bus lane in operation so only 1 driving lane. Therefore I cannot legally pull in and drive in the bus lane while all other traffic wants to break the speed limit. I can break the speed limit but seeing as I have seen guards there every 2 - 3 months I treat the road as if they're always there and I stick at 60 - 63 kph. Only ever a handheld scanner there anyway.

Right lane is for overtaking traffic only as a rule btw. Fast lanes do not exist.
    Apologies I though you were on dual carriage way. Whereabouts were you driving to give us a general idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Noopti wrote: »
    1. I thought they gave you an on the spot fine when they pulled you over?
    2. How long does it take to get the ticket in the post?
    3. How long do you have to pay it?

1. I was "hair-dryered" around a year ago (86 in a 60 zone), and the Garda told me that the ticket would be posted to me.
    2. It took around a month (during which time I assumed/hoped that they had forgotten about me).
    3. As far as I remember, you have 28 days (from the date the fine is issued). If you fail to pay within that time frame, the fine increases by 50%. If you've still failed to pay after a further 28 days, it's court time. :pac:

• Advertisement

New road connecting the Naas kingswood exit to Tallaght. On the bend outside Roadstone.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?doflg=ptk&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=117401623918483011795.0004724adb2027f6d57c4&ll=53.29703,-6.439018&spn=0.056633,0.197754&z=13&iwloc=000486e2950447260f5fc

That stretch there is a 60kph limit. Most ****ers drive up my ass and undertake. I don't pull in or speed up on the that stretch cos I am convinced the day I do is when the guards will be there :D

I have saved a few people by chance tho. I'm still waiting for the day for some1 to undertake me and speed in the bus lane right into a row of guards

The thing that annoys me the most is how drivers in fast lane drive right up my ass as Im trying to get back into centre lane or left lane on overtaking a car.
    What is the big rush with some of these people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

The thing that annoys me the most is how drivers in fast lane drive right up my ass as Im trying to get back into centre lane or left lane on overtaking a car.
    What is the big rush with some of these people
    Do the drivers know they are driving in an area that doesnt exist?

What Im saying is that if Im overtaking car and then pulling back into left lane its not an invitation for cars on fast lane behind me to increase their speed. Again its courteous to give the car a tiny bit of time to pull back in and find a sufficient gap in the car behind him in lane to right of the overtaking lane.

What Im saying is that if Im overtaking car and then pulling back into left lane its not an invitation for cars on fast lane behind me to increase their speed. Again its courteous to give the car a tiny bit of time to pull back in and find a sufficient gap in the car behind him in lane to right of the overtaking lane.
    Where is this elusive fast lane?

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Where is this elusive fast lane?
    sorry just talking about three lane traffic on a duel carriageway. Forget I brought it up:(

sorry just talking about three lane traffic on a duel carriageway. Forget I brought it up:(
    Oh, you mean the "Overtaking" lane then?

:P

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Oh, you mean the "Overtaking" lane then?

:P
    Well normally I overtake in the fast lane on a duel carriageway, ie the far lane right lane.

Well normally I overtake in the fast lane on a duel carriageway, ie the far lane right lane.

facepalm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

There is no 'fast lane' - the left lane is for driving in, the right lane is for overtaking.

• Advertisement

Yeah i get that but in multi lane traffic, the outside lane on motorway is always seen as the fast lane. And it is also used to overtake. Is that in dispute here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Yeah i get that but in multi lane traffic, the outside lane on motorway is always seen as the fast lane. And it is also used to overtake. Is that in dispute here?
    In a word, yes. There is no such thing as a 'fast lane', there are driving lanes and overtaking lanes. People object to the use of the term 'fast lane' because of the implication that it's ok to drive in it when one isn't overtaking but is merely travelling 'fast'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

I have saved a few people by chance tho. I'm still waiting for the day for some1 to undertake me and speed in the bus lane right into a row of guards

Okay, totally off topic but that reminds me of something that happened at Christmas time. Came from Nutley Lane in D4 onto Merrion Rd, heading into town. I'm in the driving lane as the bus lane was in operation at the time. The car behind me doesn't like the fact that I'm driving a smidge under the speed limit and in the proper lane and flashes their lights once or twice and tries to drive into my boot. I don't budge, so they pull into the bus lane and undertake me on the left and speed off (not drastically over the limit, but definitely over the limit).

I threw my eyes up to heaven thinking where are the Gardaí when you need them. I need not have worried as when I glanced in my rear view mirror just after the car undertook me, there was a Garda car!

It followed the other car up Merrion Road, and pulled it over outside the Israeli Embassy presumably for breaking the speed limit, in a bus lane and running at least one amber.

The moral of the story is: don't undertake me. It's bad karma :) Also, the system works!

Nice one :D

I'm all for moving over if people want to overtake, providing it is safe to do so. If there's a hard shoulder i will pull in slightly to allow people to overtake if it is safe. If it comes to a point where it's a bus lane and I'm doing the limit then tough ****, either undertake and hopefully get caught or continue to get red in the face and shout angry words behind ur steerign wheel while I snigger away.

Advertisement