Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nights out with people off the internet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

liah wrote: »
    I don't get why people have this fear of "internet people." "Internet people" are just.. people. They're the same people you pass in the streets every day. It's like there's this automatic assumption that if you're "from the internet" you're weird/a stalker/a murderer/a rapist/a nerd/whatever the hell else. Erm.. you're using the internet, and (I'm assuming!) you're not any of these things, so.. wouldn't it be safe to assume everyone else is pretty much the same way?

Of course you'll meet the odd weirdo off the internet.. same way you'd meet the odd weirdo in real life. The odds are relatively similar. Why worry? People are people regardless of the medium, there's no need for such a stigma around it.

The internet person is a person in your neighbourhood, in your neighbourhood, in your neighbour - hood.
    The internet person is a person in your neighbourhood, the people that you meet each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭moonandstars

Many people going to the 1 friday night in massimos? and many girls?
    I like the thought of going but dont want to go alone ..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Many people going to the 1 friday night in massimos? and many girls?
    I like the thought of going but dont want to go alone ..

Thread on it here M&S. I hope to be there.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055884791

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

They're just people like you! Regular people who are up for a laugh! As Liah said
    Liah wrote:
    They're the same people you pass in the streets every day.

Often I pass people in the streets and think "I wonder if they're on boards, and if so, have I talked to them"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Beruthiel wrote: »
    There are some great people on this site and not to be feared OP.
    There are friends who met through Boards beers (I've a few good one's who I've met through this site going back 6/7 years now)
    There are boyfriends/girlfriends who met at a Boards beers.
    There are Boards marriages.
    There are Boards babies.

Do any of them look like this.. :p ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

didnt the girls forum have a meet up a while ago and mostly men showed up? I thought that was hilarious but no surprise! I dont really have the time to meet all my organic friends that often, nevermind internet people, but i would maybe go if i didnt know many folk here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    I'm in my mid-twenties so perhaps I'm a bit too long in the tooth to fully appreciate new social trends such as this.
    Lol.

Yeah Grandad. Take a hike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Ah Boards beers have been awesome anytime I've been at them!

Sure my first time was Tar.Aldarion's first time too...it was so awesome:pac: Oh I've met alot of pretty damn cool people on this site at beers, and non-beers events too:)

There were only two beers I can remember that something may have happened, one can never be spoken of, but the other one was just a result of early days beers being forum-wide beers, where different forums had people who didnt quite get along:p

All in all, my life actually wouldn't quite be the same without Boards and the beers:) Embrace the internet people OP, we wont eat you (but if we were to, at least we'd be nice enough to ask first)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

My first beers was the ladies lounge. I have no idea why I went to be honest.....
    Single girls on Valentine's weekend

*ahem*

Nah. But seriously I was just fed up of heading out with my mates to the same places so wanted to try something different.

Boards is a great social outlet believe it or not.

Of course it's daunting for your first time but everyone's extremely welcoming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Last time I met up with people from the internet I was shot and raped.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=65945505
    x PyRo wrote: »
    Last time I met up with people from the internet I shot and raped someone.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzing! :D

I'd actually love to go to a Boards night, but the feckin things are only on in Dublin!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I'd actually love to go to a Boards night, but the feckin things are only on in Dublin!!

Where do you live? Why don't you try and organise one near where you are? The majority of people on the beers threads tend to vote for Dublin so that's why it usually is there. I'm sure if you opened a thread saying "Anyone up for AH beers in _____" that people would be up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

stovelid wrote: »
    Haven't been to one myself but the idea that you wouldn't get on with the majority of people in real life that you get on with online seems a little daft.

liah wrote: »
    I don't get why people have this fear of "internet people." "Internet people" are just.. people. They're the same people you pass in the streets every day. It's like there's this automatic assumption that if you're "from the internet" you're weird/a stalker/a murderer/a rapist/a nerd/whatever the hell else. Erm.. you're using the internet, and (I'm assuming!) you're not any of these things, so.. wouldn't it be safe to assume everyone else is pretty much the same way?

Of course you'll meet the odd weirdo off the internet.. same way you'd meet the odd weirdo in real life. The odds are relatively similar. Why worry? People are people regardless of the medium, there's no need for such a stigma around it.

Both posts say it all really .People are just people and assumtions should never be made just on the basis of somebody posts were everybody is more or less on an even level . Putting a face to a username must also be fun , intresting and takes the poster mystery away for people .
    Haven't being to any boards nights out , living in England makes it akward and sorta rules that out best of times but would defo pop along to one if It's happening when over in Dublin .

Where do you live? Why don't you try and organise one near where you are? The majority of people on the beers threads tend to vote for Dublin so that's why it usually is there. I'm sure if you opened a thread saying "Anyone up for AH beers in Sligo" that people would be up for it.

Cue, wind howling noises. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Dey turk mah pineappppleee!

• Advertisement

Cue, wind howling noises. ;)

Oh dear! Sorry for your troubles :)

McChubbin wrote: »
    Degsy turk mah pineappppleee!

FYP.

He ate it for breakfast apparently :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The internet person is a person in your neighbourhood, in your neighbourhood, in your neighbour - hood.
    The internet person is a person in your neighbourhood, the people that you meet each day.

The people that you meet when you're walking down the street each day. :pac:

Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got.
    Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot.

Wouldn't you like to get away?

Sometimes you want to go

Where everybody knows your user name,
    and they're always glad you came.
    You wanna be where you can see,
    our troubles are all the same
    You wanna be where everybody knows
    Your user name.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Last time I met up with people from the internet I was shot and raped.
    x PyRo wrote: »
    Last time I met up with people from the internet I shot and raped someone.

This is why I love after hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

FYP.

If only he'd ate me for- NEVERMIND.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Don't worry about it OP.
    We're all normal people who enjoy a good night out like regular world people.
    Nice recap of the last AH beers actually here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Where do you live? Why don't you try and organise one near where you are? The majority of people on the beers threads tend to vote for Dublin so that's why it usually is there. I'm sure if you opened a thread saying "Anyone up for AH beers in _____" that people would be up for it.

Yep, myself and another lad have organised two Waterford Beers after there hadn't been one for a long time. First one had 6-7 people which ended with 4 of us on the absolute tear for the night. Second one was pretty much the same actually.

Come to think of it, it's nearly time for another one...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

At this point, I think probably not a day goes by when I don't get a text/ meet up with/ get drunk with someone I first met on boards.

You kinda get out what you put in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Been to a few. Awkward for the first few minutes as you introduce yourself and people ask you your boards name, then real name. Generally a lot of sound people are there, some nób ends, but you just ignore them.

No one has come up to me (yet) giving out to me saying I banned them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

FYP.

Guilty as charged..velly nice it was too!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The worst thing about meeting internet people in real life is saying your username out loud and hearing how stupid it sounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Will wrote: »

Ban me ban me... and I will!!!
    (just kidding :P)
    How sad is it if someone actually goes just to say "you banned me!"
    :rolleyes:

I'd actually be curious about going to one ...though as a newcomer to boards, it'd be awhile yet before I give it a go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

ScumLord wrote: »
    The worst thing about meeting internet people in real life is saying your username out loud and hearing how stupid it sounds.

Or in my case,my real name

Ban me ban me... and I will!!!
    (just kidding :P)
    How sad is it if someone actually goes just to say "you banned me!"
    :rolleyes:

I'd actually be curious about going to one ...though as a newcomer to boards, it'd be awhile yet before I give it a go.

Just go for it! I wish I'd started going to them earlier. There were a few people at the last beers who were quite new or who had very low post counts, and they had just as good a time as everyone else :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭macaronicheese

I have visions of attending one of these events to be greeted by the sound of fingers clicking on a key board ,in a room full of antisocial pale people ,
    With the only sound breaking the finger clicking being people violently vomiting onto the screen of their laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

I have visions of attending one of these events to be greeted by the sound of fingers clicking on a key board ,in a room full of antisocial pale people ,
    With the only sound breaking the finger clicking being people violently vomiting onto the screen of their laptop.

You need to get out more!

Hey you could go to a beers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Haha having read some of these posts I'm picturing some guy standing in a crowd making a joke and then turning his face and opening his mouth really wide like :pac: and then a big chorus of "thanks". I know it doesn't actually work like that but anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Just go for it! I wish I'd started going to them earlier. There were a few people at the last beers who were quite new or who had very low post counts, and they had just as good a time as everyone else :)

Post count has lil or nothing to do with meeting people off boards. There's been some nerdy comvos at ones I attended but post count never ever came into it. If someone ever mentions post count tell em to fùck right off :D

Post count has lil or nothing to do with meeting people off boards. There's been some nerdy comvos at ones I attended but post count never ever came into it. If someone ever mentions post count tell em to fùck right off :D

I meant people shouldn't be afraid to come if they've low post counts just because they think that they mightn't be "known" by other posters. They won't be shunned or scorned :D

I meant people shouldn't be afraid to come if they've low post counts just because they think that they mightn't be "known" by other posters. They won't be shunned or scorned :D
    We all learned not to wave e-penises after the tales of when mike65 turned up.He crushed everyone :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

some nób ends, but you just ignore them.
    :(
    imo, they have

Not for me :)

OP, I met my gf at a Boards Beers, we live together now.

I also set up a football team here, starting off as a kick about in the Phoenix Park three four (:eek:) years ago, we now play in a league and have won medals. So I meet people off Boards every week.

I've made loads of mates on Boards, and am travelling to the middle east after Xmas to meet two of them who live over there.

I have been walking down a busy street only to hear someone shout "Doom" at the top of their lungs at me in front of people.

*Cringe*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

I was gonna do that once Doom...I really should have :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Ah I may pop along to one next year when Im back in Collage in Dublin... meet new people and all that stuff..... At the least its an excuse to meet new people and have a few drinks... Revenge for getting banned the other day would also be cool. You reckon Sharpshooter likes laxative in his drinks? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Well, you guys have totally convinced me :pac:

What kind of venue do they tend to be held in?

An old 27 year old lady like myself wouldn't be one for the clubs and the choons..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

That_Guy wrote: »
    Nah. But seriously I was just fed up of heading out with my mates to the same places so wanted to try something different.

Same! Got sick and tired of going to Barcode every week.

Went to couple boards beers and they were fun times, defo go again if wasnt so lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

I assume that a thread is thrown up on the board somewhere if a Boardz Beerz is being organised?

reallyrose wrote: »
    I assume that a thread is thrown up on the board somewhere if a Boardz Beerz is being organised?

This is the current After Hours one that's in the process of being organized.

• Advertisement

An old 27 year old lady like myself wouldn't be one for the clubs and the choons..

Wouldn't be so worried. I'm 30 and I am not the oldest, by a long shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

I'm of a similar age myself!

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    You reckon Sharpshooter likes laxative in his drinks? :D
    She won't be happy!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

Last time I attended one of these functions I bought a drink for everyone who gave me a thanks?
    and I'm still paying for it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

you owe me a drink

:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement