Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A players real worth

• 18-05-2010 3:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

With the world cup coming up and players being put in the shop window we'll soon have a heap of stories if there's not some already about players bein linked with this club and that club for this much and that much got me thinkin as to what a players real worth is. Last seaon ronaldo went for £80m and kaka went for somethin like £50m-£60m, way over priced some might say if not the majority would say. Maybe Ronaldo's proved his worth(with his goals) when some thought it was way too much to spend while it looks vice versa in kaka's case not really set the world alight at madrid. Then we have messi(if ronaldo is allegedly worth £80m) whats this guy worth?

Lets say in the top bracket of players we have messi/ronaldo/kaka....torres/rooney maybe this lot no particular order i'm just sayin here guys. are these guys worth over £50m? then who's in the next bracket of players..........Ribery/robben/lampard/gerrard/xavi/iniesta /drogba/schneider?are these guys really worth say £30-£50m?

Then for example we have james milner, young player of the year, straight away value goes up for this award, his likely england call up his value prob goes up even more.

So lads what are these players really worth in your opinon?

whats the most any one player should be worth in your eyes?

personally imo no player is worth these ridiculous amounts(£10m tops!) or the salary's they're on, i mean come on there's doctors and nurses out there saving lives every minute of the day and they're the ones who deserve big salary's ok they wont get it but yes def do deserve more than some fella kickin an inflatable balloon around a couple of times a week.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply_and_demand

You should probably have a gander at that ;)

ultimately a player is worth whatever somebody is willing to pay for them, Real made the £25 million that they paid for Beckham back within a year on shirt sales I believe so I assume Ronaldo and Kaka will have sold a huge chunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Liam O wrote:
    ultimately a player is worth whatever somebody is willing to pay for them, Real made the £25 million that they paid for Beckham back within a year on shirt sales I believe so I assume Ronaldo and Kaka will have sold a huge chunk.

So Kaka was worth £100m+ because City were daft enough to pay it? I wouldn't say so.

I agree with the OP that the money in football is obscene but this is the way it is. Football stopped being sane a long time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

So Kaka was worth £100m+ because City were daft enough to pay it? I wouldn't say so.

I agree with the OP that the money in football is obscene but this is the way it is. Football stopped being sane a long time ago.

Snob goods are exception to the law of demand, they are bought for the status associated with them, but ultimately if people are willing to pay it then thats what they are worth. Football players have become goods rather than people in negotiating terms so this is the best explanation I can give...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Supply and demand assumes rational actors. It also assumes that the products don't have a say. Some actors are acting irrationally in this situation, such as City, who are overpaying what their actual value is.

Ultimately a transfer fee depends on

Quality of the player
    Length left on the current contract
    Market standards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Players are worth what a club will pay, that is unarguable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

JPA wrote: »
    Players are worth what a club will pay, that is unarguable.

Well I would say last season Richard Dunne was worth alot more then 6mil regardless of his age and Lescott was worth a lot less then 24mil.

I know its an an age old argument but would Dunne have gone for as little as 6mil if he was English?

Gillington wrote: »
    Well I would say last season Richard Dunne was worth alot more then 6mil regardless of his age and Lescott was worth a lot less then 24mil.

I know its an an age old argument but would Dunne have gone for as little as 6mil if he was English?

That's the price City put on him. Everton put a price of £24 million on Lescott. Both times clubs paid that asking price, therefore the value was deemed acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

AS has being mentioned previous, its all about supply (player) and demand (club wanting said player)

If a club wants a player and the other club put a price tag on that indiviudal its up to the other club to match the valuation set by the owner club, and these values sometimes seem madand generally based on the players ability and performances.

Although I lost all faith in transfers when Barcelona paid 40 million * and Samuel Eto'o for Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

* Open to correction on figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

The transfer market is always going to be insane with the amounts of money that clubs now have at their disposal. Real Madrid splashed out an utterly insane amount of money last summer to secure the signatures of Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaká, Karim Benzema and Xavi Alonso. Given that the price tag for Ronaldo was €80m, Kaka was €60m, Benzema was €30m and I'm unsure of Xavi Alonso's fee... They spent the guts of €200,000,000 on 4 players. If that's not crazy I don't know what is...

But a player is always going to be valued on:

-Their quality in the role that they play in
    -Their age
    -The length left upon their current contract
    -The possibility of their re-sale

as was mentioned above.

But to spend the obscene amounts of money Real did last summer beggars belief. Yes they off-loaded some of their Dutch contingent, but that would come nowhere near paying off that huge sum.

Real Madrid spend so much but they tend to know they will make a lot back on most of the big names.

CRonaldo - Appeals to the Portuguese market and basically worldwide.

Kaka - South American and also world wide markets

Benzema - They probably thought they were buying the player who would be the best French player for the next 8 years, good marketing potential

Alonso - Well that was more of a sensible footballing signing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

There is a drastic shift in the change of footballers make up over the last 10 years and more.

If you look at the makeup of most players in the premier league in the early to mid 90's the average makeup of a player who would be worth a few mil was.

Power
    Strength
    Footballing brain
    Ability to read games

Nowadays there is a much higher emphasis on Agility, Strength and Stamina.

Look at how the makeup and requirements of wingers has changed.

The original requirement was precision, crossing and stamina to get up and down the line.

That has since changed into more of an emphasis on dribbling, bursting pace, 1v1 ability. What winger, can you name that plays his game as getting the ball, head up, launching a crossfield ball into the box?

These wingers are usually hanging around bolton and blackburn and labelled **** : /

What I'm getting at is the footballing brain and intellegent footballer is becoming a rare comodity, and that now demands and even higher price. Its reflected down to grass roots. As a regular visitor to my old schoolboy club to watch games and give a dig out with coaching etc, the focus of nearly the entire club has shifted into developing stamina, speed and burst of pace.

Alot of grass roots have implemented an american football style of coaching. Ever wonder how a 16 stone guy can move so fast over 10 feet, well its the same principle. But with footballers it allows developement of that pace over longer distances.

The ideal example would be Paul Scholes. He posses all the attributes that were pretty much critical in the evolution of the premier league and world football at the time.

Paul Scholes
    Zidane
    Nedved
    Davids

(some examples)

All had incredible vision and intellegent heads on shoulders. They werent bags of pace. But they just had fantastic football brains. Its what put them on top from the get go, then developing the art of their technical ability made them hot comodities.

Its a drastic change from today and I guess its a case of calling them " dodo brains" ( as the old fella says)

The likes of your modern day striker and modern day winger. Pretty clueless as to reading a game and a pretty poor footballing brain ( obviously there are exceptions)

I also think that there will be some major inflated purchases after the world cup. Any player with half a brain knows that this is the chance to get a big club move. Any player with half a brain, who has some abiltiy, and plays in a weak team, knows he can make himself look godly.

I dont even remember the name of that guy from Chile that liverpool signed, but he was signed because he put in a good international display, in an absolutely diabolical team. It made him look masterful, but in truth he was woeful.

I'd expect the insane money to be going for the best players, in the worst teams, and this formula over exagerating their actual ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Well the world of transfers goes like this.

Good young foreign palyer: 0-5mil.
    The next big thing to come out of south america: 20mil (unless you get him when he is a child)
    Good solid average foreign player: 5-10mil.
    Very marketable foreign player: 20mil +
    Superstar: 40mil +
    Any player linked with Man City: 10-15mill + on top of existing value

Now its world cup year so silly season. Lets take a players starting WC value at 10m.
    Does nothing of note and exists at group stage: no change
    Team progress well and he has a decent WC: + 5mill
    Has a good WC scoring at least 1 great goal: +10mill
    Lights up the WC and becomes the start of the show: +20mill

English rules. These are unwritten rules that govern the price of every english footballer and go on top of your proper value and only apply to transfers involving other English clubs.
    Your english: +5mill
    You can kick a ball straight or even some intentional curl: +10mill
    You get a couple of caps: +15mill
    You have 1 good season and a few good internation games: +20mill and your the best thing since Bobby Charlton.
    You marry someone who'd make a good WAG: +10mill

English rules to foreign clubs.
    He's english so not as good as the media make out: -10-20mill
    He can sell shirts in China: face value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Monetary value is all we are talking about here gents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

iregk wrote: »
    Well the world of transfers goes like this.

Good young foreign palyer: 0-5mil.
    The next big thing to come out of south america: 20mil (unless you get him when he is a child)
    Good solid average foreign player: 5-10mil.
    Very marketable foreign player: 20mil +
    Superstar: 40mil +
    Any player linked with Man City: 10-15mill + on top of existing value

Now its world cup year so silly season. Lets take a players starting WC value at 10m.
    Does nothing of note and exists at group stage: no change
    Team progress well and he has a decent WC: + 5mill
    Has a good WC scoring at least 1 great goal: +10mill
    Lights up the WC and becomes the start of the show: +20mill

English rules. These are unwritten rules that govern the price of every english footballer and go on top of your proper value and only apply to transfers involving other English clubs.
    Your english: +5mill
    You can kick a ball straight or even some intentional curl: +10mill
    You get a couple of caps: +15mill
    You have 1 good season and a few good internation games: +20mill and your the best thing since Bobby Charlton.
    You marry someone who'd make a good WAG: +10mill

English rules to foreign clubs.
    He's english so not as good as the media make out: -10-20mill
    He can sell shirts in China: face value.
    I presume you mean foreign as in not English rather than not Irish ...

English players only cost more because they mostly come from English clubs who are by and large solid financially. Therefore they can charge large fees for players that they really don't want to sell it's not the players themselves being overrated but don't let that get in the way of your point

Advertisement