Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending a rifle to the UK

Options
  • 18-05-2010 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

All,

Anybody have any experience of sending a rifle to a gunsmith in the UK?

I'm considering sending a remington 700 to Armalon (anyone here ever deal with them?) in London for their PR conversion - this typically involves some accurising of the rifle and the installation of a detachable box magazine.

I'm basically trying to find out how someone would go about shipping a firearm to the UK, what paperwork is involved and who would actually transport it i.e courier?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I know South Yorkshire Shooting Supplies used to have their customers here send their firearm to Tannyocky (spelling) guns up North, and from there over to England. Not sure how Armalon would go about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

leupold90 wrote: »
    All,

Anybody have any experience of sending a rifle to a gunsmith in the UK?

I'm considering sending a remington 700 to Armalon (anyone here ever deal with them?) in London for their PR conversion - this typically involves some accurising of the rifle and the installation of a detachable box magazine.

I'm basically trying to find out how someone would go about shipping a firearm to the UK, what paperwork is involved and who would actually transport it i.e courier?

Any advise would be appreciated.
    You are aware that all this work can be done in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭leupold90

From reading boards I'm aware that there are guys doing rifle work here. Didn't know there was anyone who could do a magazine conversion etc. Anyone here have any experience of getting the performance of a Rem 700 improved?

I'm essentially trying to get an improvement in accuracy without breaking the bank. The rifle is primarily used for recreational range shooting and some hunting. I was considering Armalon after viewing their site and speaking to them on the phone.

Obviously I'd prefer to get the work done here if the same service is available. Again, all advice and comments appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

You are aware that all this work can be done in Ireland?
    Maybe the man has doubts this banana republic can do anything right:pac:
    On a serious note, If it's a factory remmy stock you can fit the detachable mag box yourself. A decent gunsmith can do the rest;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

kay 9 wrote: »
    On a serious note, If it's a factory remmy stock you can fit the detachable mag box yourself. A decent gunsmith can do the rest;)

Tell me more, have you any links? Might be something I'll consider in the future, after I feck the gun up doing the self bedding job (after Clive - no pressure mate :D ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

I just fitted a mag system for a SA remmy to one of our stocks yesterday.
    It was the Syss bottom metall with an AI magazine. This one required quite a lot of material removal in the inlet and deepening, lengthening of the rear tang inlet. Took me about 5 hours including bedding and tidying.
    The same job with a Roedale mag system (also AI mag) on a howa takes ten minutes to fit and a bit more for bedding. Never fitted a roedale remmy system yet, but one is on the way.

I would try to avoid sending to the UK. Sent a rifle to Germany before, takes ages to get it back. Alone the paperwork takes at least 2 months back and forth.
    Try get it done locally.
    Otherwise, bring the rifle to a RFD who can do the paperwork and organize transport to the UK, not a huge problem just takes time.

edi

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭zulu_dawn

all necessary forms you need are on this web link -
    http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Individuals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

kay 9 wrote: »

Piece of piss to a gunsmith, does several every few weeks

Advertisement