Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M001 7" Touch Screen Android Tablet - €85 delivered [DealExtreme]

Options
  • 18-05-2010 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 43,909 ✭✭✭✭

Found on HUKD..

sku_39169_1.jpg
    Buy it @ DealExtreme
    Interesting Tablet for £75 Specs below, possible IPAD killer at a bargain price. Portable and cheap plus looks cool. Plenty of videos on Youtube

An alternative to the joggler which aint portable

Bargain £75 delivered

7' Google Android Netbook Wifi IPAD Alternativ!
    2010 NEW Touch 7 Inch Mini Netbook Tablet Laptop PC MID Google Android OS Map 128MB 2G Notebook Like Mini Ipad!!
    The Feature of Google Android:
    Browser comes with Flash Lite version 3.1 and supports playback of SWF contents up to Flash 9 and ActionScript 2.0.
    Applications:
    Google Maps, Google Earth, Youtube, Google Calendar, Buzz, Gmail, Google Contacts, Google Shopper, Google Talk, Google Finance, Latitude.

If the above mentioned applications are not built-in, they can be downloaded in the Market for free.As long as you have registered or have a gmail account, by using the Market of Android, you can download large quantity of applications and games without paying.
    The function and software is as well as the App Store of IPHONE.
    A highlighted set of apps and games available in Android Market.

Operating System Google Android OS 1.6
    Memory 128MB DDR2 800Mhz
    Screen / Display 7" 16:9 wide-screen 800X480 high-brightness TFT LCD
    Touch full-size touch operation, sliding menus, icons and drag
    Storage 2GB NAND flash
    Direction sensor automatically turn the screen display
    Communication Network 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi certified Network connection
    Software include Talk Software Fring, Skype, MSN, GTALK etc
    Office software Work excel,PPT, PDF,etc
    Web browsing Google chome-lite Browser UCWEB Browser
    Audio: Supports stereo speaker, built-in microphone
    Email Mainstream Web Mail service Gmail / Yahoo/ Hotmail etc
    language support multi language support for English, French, German, Japanese, Dutch, Italian, Spanish etc.
    Audio format MP3
    Video format MP4 SP, AVI, Flash, 3GP, WMA etc
    Image format Jpeg, Gif
    Explorer Android task killer, Andexplorerhao de
    Other Software Google Maps,Calendar, Contacts, Weather,clock and etc
    Connector Memory maximum support to the 32 GB
    USB port USB 2.0
    Entertainment Games guitar, tennis, Baseball, chess, Chinese chess, backgammon, blackjack, spores, Sokoban.etc

Tablet PC 1 pcs
    charger 1 pcs
    usb cable 1 pcs
    user manual 1 pcs

EDIT: Users over at DealExtreme indicate the processor is not what's advertised - it has an ARM926EJ-S processor working at 175mhz!!!

xJjAK.jpg

Thanks to Amalgam for pointing this out!

* the above quote taken from HUKD thread.. as there's little or no information on the tablet on DealExtreme's site.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,909 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Screenshot of the interface:

sku_39169_9.jpg

And video of it in action:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I'm kinda tempted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

I'm kinda tempted

As am I. hmmmmm:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Amaru KGB

Hmmm me too. Just not too sure how good or reliable it is

Read up reviews and stuff first kids (http://www.google.ie/search?q=Eken+M001+review&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a).. it goes under the name 'Eken M001'.

Apparently, battery life is terrible (2 hours) and the touch-screen can be a tad iffy. But at the end of the day.. it's looks decent for the price!

Let's not throw around the term "iPad Killer" as let's face it, it's not - but the price is right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,269 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Looks interesting. Price looks good but i assume you would need to pay import taxes on top.

Negatives: Doesn't look very responsive, screen resolution lowish

Looks interesting. Price looks good but i assume you would need to pay import taxes on top.
    Yep.. probably will end up just over €100.
    Negatives: Doesn't look very responsive, screen resolution lowish
    Yep.. at the end of the day, it's running Android (albeit an older version - 1.6) so it should be certainly be usable enough for basic functions (e-mail, Internet, music etc) and it DOES come with Flash! :D

hmmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

hmmmmmmm also. I'm thinking this could be a half decent cheap ass media player for the kitchen when conencted to some speakers, so if anyone does get one let me know. Also what would the duty be on this roughly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

i have a rule that i don't buy anything that costs over €10 from DealExtreme after a htc touch clone i ordered almost gave me a nervous breakdown with it's sh1tness. I bet you could find a similar alternative for the same price if you looked around a bit. Are there any plans to launch that o2 Joggler thing here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I'm wondering if this plays DivX - is it simply a case of installing the codec onto Android? Also, would it be possible to upgrade the version of Android that comes pre-installed?

Really can't make my mind up :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,269 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

basquille wrote: »
    Yep.. probably will end up just over €100.

Yep.. at the end of the day, it's running Android (albeit an older version - 1.6) so it should be certainly be usable enough for basic functions (e-mail, Internet, music etc) and it DOES come with Flash! :D

Is tempting, big differance in price to the ipad. Features look good.

Only thing that would put me off, is having bought archos and one or two other devices, they have all the features but once they're sold there are no more updates, one or two bugs, slightly unresponsive interface, software (flash) gets outdated. Ipod touch and iphone have been well supported

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I would like to read ebooks in bed and am wondering if this is any good for that...

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭jeromeof

Guys,

Was looking at this last night and even at this price I don't think it is worth it. Apparently it has a 350Mhz processer, runs incedible slow, AVI/Divx stutter at best and as someone said the battery is terrible.

It has a 800x480 screen which is ok but this is more of a mobile phone screen "zoomed" up to 7 inch's than say an iPad's screen which has more than twice as many pixels. Many apps don't work, it doesn't have access to the Android Marketplace and it probably won't be updatable to Android 2.1/2.2 as these Android versions require more than the 128MB RAM in this tablet.

Sorry to sound negative, but I imagine in 6 months time we will be flooded by cheap Android tablets from China with much better capabilities.

Jerom

Good in-depth review here covering everything from unboxing, physical and technical specs, web browser (Opera Mini), Google Maps, eBook Reader, Music Player, Picture Viewer, Video Player (plays in MP4 format), Documents2Go, Skype and SlideMe App Store.

Looks decent enough to be fair!

The only worry is the responsive of the touch-screen does look quite poor though!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,520 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Wonder why they use opera mini instead of Chrome? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

jeromeof wrote: »
    Guys,

Was looking at this last night and even at this price I don't think it is worth it. Apparently it has a 350Mhz processer, runs incedible slow, AVI/Divx stutter at best and as someone said the battery is terrible.

It has a 800x480 screen which is ok but this is more of a mobile phone screen "zoomed" up to 7 inch's than say an iPad's screen which has more than twice as many pixels. Many apps don't work, it doesn't have access to the Android Marketplace and it probably won't be updatable to Android 2.1/2.2 as these Android versions require more than the 128MB RAM in this tablet.

Sorry to sound negative, but I imagine in 6 months time we will be flooded by cheap Android tablets from China with much better capabilities.

Jerom

Thought it had a 600mhz processor ? here and here and here

the 800 x 480 is the same as the Archos 7 here which generally gets good screen reviews
    The MP4 video playback seems ok on this youtube clip here (around 6:23)

trying to find the greater than 128MB requirement for froyo .. can you link to it ?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

The Archos home tablet seems like an interesting alternate. Launching this summer, Android based, and according to the blurb:
    The new devices align with ARCHOS’ strategy to introduce innovative electronic products with extremely aggressive pricing. In this case, the first large-screen Android™ devices at affordable prices, starting from 149 €.

€50 more than the one in this offer, but probably better support, better quality, and much better battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

Don't forget that customs will probably get you so add another €25 approx.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭jeromeof

zod wrote: »
    Thought it had a 600mhz processor ? here and here and here

the 800 x 480 is the same as the Archos 7 here which generally gets good screen reviews
    The MP4 video playback seems ok on this youtube clip here (around 6:23)

trying to find the greater than 128MB requirement for froyo .. can you link to it ?

thanks

There was lots of information about this tablet on:
    http://slatedroid.blitzwerks.co.uk/index.php?topic=90.0
    this is where I based my comments on but it appears to be down today. The 600Mhz was clocked down to 350Mhz, the only video that would play had to be converted, to H263 in an MP4 container either that or it would stutter, this is usually the reason why video demos are cartoons rather than "live action" as people don't notice dropped frames in a cartoon.

As for minimum requirements for Froyo, nobody knows till later in the week, but for example the original Google Android Phone the G1 had 192MB RAM, most Android phones now at least 256MB RAM.

But on the positive side, someone of Slatedroid had already got a custom port of Android for this device which apparently speeds up the UI a little and removed some of pre-packages chinese Android applications.

Jerome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

The Archos home tablet seems like an interesting alternate. Launching this summer, Android based, and according to the blurb:

€50 more than the one in this offer, but probably better support, better quality, and much better battery life.

yes but an even earlier version of android (1.5)

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

I don't really need one at all.. but I'm tempted.. I don't know why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Tr1PoD

Haha same, need more gadgets!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

the M003 isnt that much more expensive, seems to be running a 600MHz processor as well but seems a bit faster...

http://cgi.ebay.ie/8-HD-LCD-WLan-Google-Android-Tablet-PC-UMPC-EKEN-M003-/260603833150?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_Laptops_EH&hash=item3cad32eb3e

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Eken have released a firmware update for this that brings it up to Android 1.6

Apparently this has brought around better touch screen responsiveness, reduced buggingness (is that even a word? ah you know what I mean :) ), better wifi, better screen orientation.

There are guys on xda-developers who have got these and are working on custom roms.

I decided to take the plunge and ordered one :)

btw if you add item no #1888 to the order on dealextreme (which costs 1c) then the package is shipped as a gift under plain cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

The M003 is now available for about €110: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.39448

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

This website: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=5119710720

Engadget first linked to them to boast that the price of the M001 was $99 (US) delivered. It seems to have gone up in the meantime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Basquille, you might want to update the first post. Deal-Extreme users seem frustrated with the lack of response from the device. The maximum CPU speed seems to be 300Mhz. The device idles @ 175Mhz, or seems to. In any case, the CPU used, the VIA MW8505, has a max speed of 300Mhz.

It is also, quite possibly.. don't laugh.. an Eken clone. Just a fancy copy of the Eken 001.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement